Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Canes Mem Cup bid is dead.

Default Yikes......even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    Tone it down in here. Things can still get much worse than being snubbed for a MC bid, two disasterous seasons, dwindling attendance, a long term contract for a failing coach and GM, a long reno to the Sportsplex, no prospect to be drafted to the NHL on Friday...am I missing anything else?
    Hope you're all having a good summer.
    Geesh Bocephus, do you have to give Shushu more ammunition? You forgot to mention the worst logo in the league, the quietest fans (even the few times there are lots) music that is too loud, poor food served, horrible in game host, boring pa announcer, non-critical broadcast crew and the narrow isles in the seating.

There is one fact that I will stand by: That when things turn around for the Canes on the ice, the fans will come out. However as long as the Hurricanes are a community owned team, they will never get to host the Memorial Cup. The private owners love to share the huge guarentees (likely will be over 2 million for 2013). Community owned teams will never be able to raise that kind of money and the WHL Board of Governors (all but 3) are private owners, will make sure they get their piece of the action.

Hit the road, Jack!

Is it the worst logo? Perhaps but you can't prove it.
    Is the music too loud? Perhaps but it's also not fact.
    Is the game host a dolt? Perhaps but that's just opinion.
    Fact, the league doesn't consider the Canes MC worthy. Will it ever?
    There is talent being accumulated, it just needs to be developed.
    There are tradable assets.
    There is a facility being constructed that should foster success with crowds, revenue and team development.
    There is a business manager that does appear to get it.
    There is room to expand temporary seating at the south end for a large event. What could the max seating be? 6000 in the Enmax?
    Shoot for 2016. That's realistic. Also, ditch Preston! He isn't the answer. In fact, he's a problem, sadly.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Sure it's a great event - but do you think it would succeed in Lethbridge? We all know the kind of market here in Southern Alberta, I doubt the club would be able to sell 5000-6000 tickets each game for 40-50 bucks a piece? It's not a national/world curling bonspiel, which definately succeeds here because of Lethbridge's huge 50+ population.

Unless the Canes have a lineup similar to Windsor's 2010 team, it'd likely be a fail here in Lethbridge. Leth barely sold out the rink for the 3rd and 4th Rd in 2008. Some of you assume that hosting the Cup guarantees a championship trophy, I'd rather see the team win it based on merit rather than selling the farm because they are hosting and 'have to' be competitive that year. With a good franchise, every year is a contending year!

4. Default Hosting does not = Championship

I for one certainly do not think that hosting a Memorial Cup means winning it. All one has to do is look back at the last 4 Memorial Cups. In 3 cases the host team made it to the final and lost (2011)Mississauga to Saint John,(2010) Kitchener to Windsor, (2008) Kitchener to Spokane, and in (2009) Rimouski did not make the final. (2007) was the last time a host team won, as Vancouver beat Medicine Hat.

Trouble is, hosting puts a lot of pressure on the host club to have a "winner" while the other three teams got their by winning their leagues. And what happens if the host club gets knocked out of their league playoffs early, like Brandon did. McCrimmon had to send the boys home for almost 2 weeks while the other teams battled through the rest of the playoffs.

Better to build for it.....than try to buy your way into it.

But no matter how good this team may become some day and how much attendance improves......this franchise will never get to host the event. Money talks....and the greedy private owners listen to the highest bidder.

Despite a bigger arena in Saskatoon, despite the Chairman of the BOG owning the Kelowna franchise, my money is on Red Deer.

Hit the Road Jack!

Default u people dont seem 2 get it..............

the past 2 year as painfull as it was, was all about building a team from within....which takes time, i get it..but with this mem cup and us applying 4 it tells me one thing, the bod dont give a **** about the fans. they were willing to sell this team down the road so they could bump up the banks account and say to hell with the future.....do you think that if we would have gotten the mem cup there would be anything left down the road...not a chance....so tell me something, is this a team that gives a **** about lethbridge and it fans or is it a crew that is more concerned about money and being able to go to the gm's meeting in calgary and act like they own the team.....they said to us 2 years ago we are building from within just like back in the 90's. and u know what i was there 4 that and it works 4 me...but it hard to swallow a plan that changes when the doller bill is waves in front of 2 ass wipes that treat this team like thet own it....................and everyones 400 bucks going to 2 people that laugh in our faces year after year............**** them........enough is enough.................and as 4 the community owned team thing, how can you call this a community owned team when 2 people are completely in charge..................
    Last edited by shushu; 06-23-2011 at 04:17 AM.
    GO CANES GO.................

Had a pretty good chuckle. Canes website has an article outlining available cane players for the NHL draft tomorrow! Hope some teams are interested in Tarnasky and Ramsey and Hulit. Seriously, who wrote that article?!?! Maybe Johnston and Jackson but that's it and they would be way late.
    Last edited by Bocephus; 06-23-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

I agree - you'd hope a Canes writer would know more about its players than us fans - I think most of us can agree Johnston is the only guy with a chance at getting selected, with Jackson prob 2nd since his dad is an NHL guy.
    Part of me would like to see Kuvaev picked just to prove how ancient the Canes coaching and development is...

PS: hilarious shushu!! how many beers did you have wed nite ??

8. Default ???

I would not be surprised if Brody Sutter is selected.

9. Default Got one right

First Hurricane to...Brody to the Hurricanes in round 7.

"Chow for now".

Soooooo close to being shutout at the draft but with the goalie pulled and the clock ticking down The Carolina Hurricanes save our team the embarrassment of a giant goose egg on the draft board.
    I suppose we will now be sold on the accomplishment of a pro camp invite for a few and that will be dressed up as an organizational success.
    Cheers