http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...360/story.html

Logan Nelson, a six-foot-two forward signed Friday by the Victoria Royals of Western Hockey League, has never done things the way observers might expect.

He comes from Minnesota, where people practically bleed purple for the Vikings, but is a fan of the hated rival Green Bay Packers. That is akin to heresy in Minny.

Growing up in a rare U.S. state where hockey is popular, Nelson left Minnesota to play midget in Kansas City, a place hardly renowned for its hockey culture. And instead of returning dreaming of NCAA Frozen Four glory with the home-state Golden Gophers, Nelson has decided on a major-junior route half a continent away and in another country.

“The players in the NCAA are mostly smaller and faster types and I like to muck it up a bit more and like to hit. So this felt the better fit,” said Nelson, who had six goals, nine points and 69 penalty minutes in 43 games last season in Junior A for the Des Moines Buccaneers of the USHL.

Any kid daring enough to wear green and yellow in a state where purple reigns, certainly isn’t averse to going into difficult corners.

The Royals have landed an all-rounder, who turns 18 next month, and who also played lacrosse, football, baseball and competed in track and field. In the latter, fans might assume he was into discus, javelin, hammer or the shot because of his build. But Nelson ran the 100 and 200 metres. He cuts across type as an athlete and is an interesting amalgam. It isn’t hard to see why he piqued the interest of the Royals’ director of U.S. scouting Glen Carrier.

Nelson, a midfielder in field lacrosse and catcher in baseball, was a quarterback in football. His high school football team in Rogers, Minn., is undefeated over four years. He said departing to play midget hockey for the Russell Stover program in Kansas City was the hardest decision he has made.

“I have known those guys [Rogers High football friends] since the second grade and it was really tough to leave them,” he said.

But he had chosen his career path and it wasn't going to be on the gridiron but on ice. When the Royals came calling, Nelson did too with his parents earlier this summer to check out Victoria. They were sold on first sight.

Nelson looks a natural fit on a Royals team that comes with a reputation for being a hard-nosed, diligent-digging unit without a lot of extraneous flash.

The off-ice bonding appears to have come just as naturally this week.

“I’ve met the [18 returning Royals veterans] and they are great guys and we’ve already been out to Thetis Lake together,” said Nelson.

Although Nelson looks to be a keeper once main camp opens Monday, he knows it is lethal to take anything in sport for granted.

“There are no promises in hockey,” he said.

“I have to play hard to make the team and stay on it. I want to play hockey for as long as I can.”

The Royals rookie camp continues today and concludes Sunday with scrimmages running continuously from 8 a.m. to 10:15 p.m. at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.

Nelson officially begins skating at main camp Monday and Tuesday, which features three morning scrimmages from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. followed by two evening scrimmages from 5:15 p.m. to 10:15 p.m.

Training camp concludes Wednesday with the Intra-Squad game at 7 p.m. at the Memorial Centre.

The first exhibition game is Sept. 2 in Kamloops.

ICE CHIPS: Single-game Royals tickets go on sale Thursday at 10 a.m. Season-ticket and mini-pack holders, however, get first crack and can purchase single-game tickets Monday and then again Wednesday during the Intra-Squad game.