Thread: Giants Find a Number One?

Default Giants Find a Number One?

Giants did the Canucks a favour by picking up this goalie. Does it create more question marks or solve their goaltending woes. I hope he's better than Schwarz. Iilahti has a lot to prove so he could be well motivated and Finnish goalies have the potential to be sick between the pipes.

The article is a bit old, but in case you haven't had a chance to read it..

Iilahti Eager To Join Giants

It was no coincidence the Vancouver Giants selected Vancouver Canucks prospect Jonathan Iilahti with the 39th pick in this year’s CHL Import Draft. The Finnish goaltender, who was drafted in the 6th round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft by the Canucks, is coming off a tough season and the NHL club figures the best way for him to progress in his development is to play in North America, specifically the WHL where he has the potential to see a lot of rubber. It’s a win-win for both Vancouver teams. The Giants get a goalie with the potential to be a number one guy, while the Canucks get to watch him on a nightly basis and see whether or not he deserves a NHL contract.

This past week, Iilahti has been in town taking part in the Canucks annual summer prospects camp. It was the first opportunity for Giants brass to see the 6’1, 175lbs netminder in action. For Iilahti it was a chance to impress two teams; the Canucks and the Giants. “ It’s been a fun camp,” said Iilahti. “I did having some trouble with jet lag after such a long flight, but I’m looking to improve on a daily basis.”

The 19 year old is hoping to put a frustrating 2010-11 season behind him. He struggled at times with his club team and ended up being the final cut for Finland’s World Junior Team. “ Last season felt pretty bad, but I know in the future it will help. Everybody has to go through that and hopefully I will learn from my mistakes.”

Iilahti is a native of Vaasa, Finland; a city of 60,000 people on Finland’s west coast. However, he has spent the last 3 seasons playing just outside of Helsinki for the Espoo Jr. Blues, so moving away, even as far as Canada, shouldn’t be a big deal. “It’s not new for me to be away. I lived by myself for the last 3 years. It will probably be easier to come over here and be with a host family,” said Iilahti.

As much as Iilahti wants to play for the Giants, it is not a done deal. He has one year left on his contract with Espoo. “If I could choose, I would come over here. Hopefully they will let me go from my contract. That would be my preference.” The Giants, with the help of the Canucks, are hoping to work something out with Espoo so Iilahti can be with the Giants when training camp starts on August 25.

Iilahti doesn’t know much about the WHL, but understands how great an opportunity it would be to play with the Giants. “This is a once in a lifetime chance. To be in the same city as the team that drafted me in the NHL and to have the opportunity to improve and develop my game and play 40 games plus playoffs would be great.”

If Iilahti joins the Giants he will be 1 of 4 players who potentially could be representing his country at this year’s World Junior Championships. The others are Brendan Gallagher (Canada), David Musil (Czech Repbulic), and Marek Tvrdon (Slovakia.)
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Post or not

By Gregg Drinnan

Steve Ewen of the Vancouver Province reported Friday morning that the Vancouver Giants may not be able to land the services of G Jonathan Iilahti of Finland (http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...646/story.html).
    ———
    The Espoo Blues, who play in Finland’s SM-Liiga, announced Friday that “Blues goaltender G Jonathan Iilahti has been loaned to Sport Vaasa (Finland, Mestis) until the Christmas break."
    It is believed that Iilahti will replace G Erno Suomalainen with Sport Vaasa. Suomalainen is out with a long-term injury (shoulder).
    Sport Vaasa confirmed Friday that Iilahti will challenge Joni Puurula for playing time.”
    According to a Sport Vaasa release: “Iilahti comes from Espoo Blues on a loan agreement that lasts until the Christmas break, after which the situation will be revisited."

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/

Iconwhl

seems like a very interesting story... im sure with the Canucks backing the Giants anything is possible for the right price.

yeah after getting the Giants to use their lone euro pick to draft this goalie the Canucks failed to do their research and a serious paper snafu/miscommunication/outright failure has the Giants hanging by the balls right now -- with no euro and no starting goalie.

I watched some of the training camp and to be brutally honest, not one of current goalies is a starter. Jensen keeps trying, but the holes in his game and lapses of confidence do not make me optimistic about how the Giants will be in the blue-paint. Jackson Whistle similarly seemed just okay.

The G's have a new goalie coach as well and I am not sure how that will translate on the ice and in games. Some of his drills were good and he seems to be more of talker/teacher/explain-er than drill oriented. I felt as if he was expecting the drills to be the own goalies work and that he needed to make them understand the expectations and committing to saves and moves.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Iconwhl

Is it just me, or does Jensen look like he can hardly skate?