Thread: Big crowd, big cheers for debut of new Royals hockey team

Post Big crowd, big cheers for debut of new Royals hockey team

Big crowd, big cheers for debut of new Royals hockey team

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, VICTORIA TIMES COLONISTSEPTEMBER 16, 2011 10:03 PM

They were lined up about 20 deep at the concessions for $1 hot dogs, pop and popcorn, but what they really came for was the hockey as the Victoria Royals held their first Western Hockey League exhibition game.

The team, the former Chilliwack Bruins, moved to Vancouver Island during the off-season.

About 5,400 fans witnessed the Royals lost 3-2 to the Kelowna Rockets at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre on Friday night. Capacity for hockey is about 7,000.

“I’m enjoying it,” said Tyler Daum, a former Victoria Cougars’ Junior B player. “It’s a more exciting brand of hockey watching these younger players compete and work their way up.”

“They’re showing drive and determination and they have something to play for,” said Jeff Torres. “It’s a way more known league than the ECHL and you can see the excitement. It’s the first game and there’s probably way more people here than a mid-season Salmon Kings’ game. They’re doing the city well.”

In a unique situation, the late arriving crowd still remained in lines to purchase tickets outside the arena, but Royals staff and executive chipped in to move the line along, assisting with cash purchasers for the $5 tickets.

“We wanted to make it as easy as possible so nobody was missing anything,” said Jeff Harris, the Royals’ director of hockey operations. “We know Victoria is a city where people like to come down on the night of the event. We knew there was a chance of having a big lineup and did what we could to help expedite the lines.”

The loudest cheers of the night came when the Royals took the ice to Run Wild by Airborne and during a late fight between Victoria’s Jesse Zgraggen and Kelowna’s Carter Rigby. Zgraggen outlasted Rigby in the spirited tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by pontcanna View Post
    Big crowd, big cheers for debut of new Royals hockey team

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, VICTORIA TIMES COLONISTSEPTEMBER 16, 2011 10:03 PM

They were lined up about 20 deep at the concessions for $1 hot dogs, pop and popcorn, but what they really came for was the hockey as the Victoria Royals held their first Western Hockey League exhibition game.

The team, the former Chilliwack Bruins, moved to Vancouver Island during the off-season.

About 5,400 fans witnessed the Royals lost 3-2 to the Kelowna Rockets at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre on Friday night. Capacity for hockey is about 7,000.

“I’m enjoying it,” said Tyler Daum, a former Victoria Cougars’ Junior B player. “It’s a more exciting brand of hockey watching these younger players compete and work their way up.”

“They’re showing drive and determination and they have something to play for,” said Jeff Torres. “It’s a way more known league than the ECHL and you can see the excitement. It’s the first game and there’s probably way more people here than a mid-season Salmon Kings’ game. They’re doing the city well.”

In a unique situation, the late arriving crowd still remained in lines to purchase tickets outside the arena, but Royals staff and executive chipped in to move the line along, assisting with cash purchasers for the $5 tickets.

“We wanted to make it as easy as possible so nobody was missing anything,” said Jeff Harris, the Royals’ director of hockey operations. “We know Victoria is a city where people like to come down on the night of the event. We knew there was a chance of having a big lineup and did what we could to help expedite the lines.”

The loudest cheers of the night came when the Royals took the ice to Run Wild by Airborne and during a late fight between Victoria’s Jesse Zgraggen and Kelowna’s Carter Rigby. Zgraggen outlasted Rigby in the spirited tilt.
    I will remove mine only because you were mear seconds ahead of me.

I rule.

Quote Originally Posted by pontcanna View Post
    I rule.
    only if i can remove it