Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what killed the bruins

Hybrid View

Default what killed the bruins

what exactly killed the Bruins- still a mystery to me!!!

Two words...Burke and Porter!

Well...Porter alienating the fans who didn't want to kiss his ass...Burke being his usual pompous self where he feels he has an "aire of entitlement", and Robison lying to this city and its fans claiming that the WHL wanted the Bruins here, and that there was no letter of intent or even discussion about the Bruins moving in May...yet he and Porter discussed this back in December/January.

Not to mention, mistakes that Darrell May did in years 2 and 3 that set this club backwards in season 3 and 4, and the bad coaching style that Hiller was allowed to use (work and develop Santorelli and Moller to their breaking point, and the other 3 lines where just to allow the top line to take a break...and when they went pro...throw Howse and the rookie Sundher into that position...as he couldn't develop anyone else.

The fall of the Bruins wasn't on the shoulders of the fans. Marc Habscheid was finally getting this club on the right direction on the ice...and its too bad that the league had to go to this extreme in order to get rid of a bad owner who seemed to go out of his way to piss the paying public and sponsors off. If the WHL allowed Keith and Bond to buy out POrter, Burke and Sather...you would have seen a re-juvinated fan base who wanted a change in ownership, in direction in the public who all they asked for was to be provided an entertaining on ice product and respect from the club leadership for everything this city did to embrace the club and the kids we all had a hand in shaping into great young men.

The WHL desperately wanted a franchise in Victoria, and Porter eventually just wanted to get out of Chilliwack. It really was a perfect storm/unperfect storm for Victoria and Chilliwack.

While the fans supported the team, the WHL let them down.

What slowly killed the Bruins was Porter's attitude towards the town and the fact that the one ice product was never any good and really showed no progress.

The final nail in the coffin was when Keith and Bond wanted to fire Porter as the team president and Porter turned around told Burke and Sather that they should all sell. And it just so happened that Robison, Hamilton and RG Properties were itching to get a team in Victoria.

R.I.P Bruins

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by west coast View Post
    what exactly killed the Bruins- still a mystery to me!!!
    Marc Habscheid.
    The team had little or no success in Chilliwack. One man called the shots.
    A decent, albeit old style, coach - but very poor manager. His success in Kelowna was a result of the stellar work of Lorne Frey and Bruce Hamilton, he only coached there. His lack of success continues in Victoria.

Default Outsiders Observation

The word through the media was that a group had the money in place to buy the team and keep it in Chilliwack. But the league would not even consider it. That is what you call an inside job.

They were bulldozed out of the area because the Abbotsford Heat will not survive much longer in this region. The fact that they are the Flames farm team is making the local market not embrace the team.

When they leave, my guess is the PG Cougars will move into Abbotsford, a move that could not happen with the Bruins that close. Abby has a brand new 7000 seat arena compared to just over 4000 in Chillwack.

The WHL, in my opinion, has a long history of playing God with other peoples franchises. I have been watching my hometown team in Brandon since 1973, and watched them through the 80's try and try again to take our team away. My opinion is they will never know when to leave things alone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wheatiemaniac View Post
    The word through the media was that a group had the money in place to buy the team and keep it in Chilliwack. But the league would not even consider it. That is what you call an inside job.

They were bulldozed out of the area because the Abbotsford Heat will not survive much longer in this region. The fact that they are the Flames farm team is making the local market not embrace the team.

When they leave, my guess is the PG Cougars will move into Abbotsford, a move that could not happen with the Bruins that close. Abby has a brand new 7000 seat arena compared to just over 4000 in Chillwack.

The WHL, in my opinion, has a long history of playing God with other peoples franchises. I have been watching my hometown team in Brandon since 1973, and watched them through the 80's try and try again to take our team away. My opinion is they will never know when to leave things alone.
    Agree that Abbotsford will not accept their team. But, they will have to find a way out of their ten year deal to the city to get out. The people there really don't deserve to get another team. PG will be on the move before then. Sad thing is the WHL and Ron Robison, as well as Burke and Porter, will not allow WHL back in Chilliwack for a long while as to not look bad.
    Abbotsford has bailed on their team but Chilliwack did not. We were just crapped on by the league.

Default They had a buyer

Quote Originally Posted by bruiserfan View Post
    Agree that Abbotsford will not accept their team. But, they will have to find a way out of their ten year deal to the city to get out. The people there really don't deserve to get another team. PG will be on the move before then. Sad thing is the WHL and Ron Robison, as well as Burke and Porter, will not allow WHL back in Chilliwack for a long while as to not look bad.
    Abbotsford has bailed on their team but Chilliwack did not. We were just crapped on by the league.
    Media reports said that there was a buyer that was willing to keep the team in Chilliwack. But the league wanted no part of it. To me, that's a pretty underhanded stunt. The old boys club will never die.