Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Game #1 vs SC

Iconwhl Game #1 vs SC

I must say the Pats really impressed me tonite. I was really looking at the roster this evening before the game started & a little note that the Pats top 5 D are all veterns of the league & none of them are under the age of 19 (as per league age ruleing birthday before Dec 31)

The Pats had 3 vetern forwards not dressed tonite in Weal, Jung & Moser (who i think is still nursing his injury from last year) I think with those 3 guys i would say Hunt's days are numbered on the team this year. Which would insert Weal into the lineup & having guys like Jung/Moser/Martell/Olstad in & out of the lineup as the lower key guys. One would think a trade will be made for a pick plus the Pats have an opening for a 20yr old as Mitchell will NOT be back in a Pats jersey this season.

If the Pats fill this void in the roster & some how find a pretty decent 20yr old it will add more depth to the roster. Maybe a weaker team would trade a 20yr old for a few (2) depth players like Jung/Olstad/Martell/Ouellette.

Our D looks fantastic, & yes even Bortsmayer looked pretty solid in a regular shift (maybe ill get off the Bortsmayer talk for abit) our top 5 D are all 19 or 20yrs old. Jobke fit in great tonite for having no practises with the team since the trade. I would say all nite the Broncos maybe only had 5 quality scoring chances as the shots were kept to the outside all nite long & Hewitt will make that save all nite long.

We dont have much elite skill after Weal but i think the depth that Lang has brought in will give us a solid team that will compete on a nighly basis.

For me the best goal of the nite was Klimchuk's rocket of a snap shot his 1st career goal of many that will be in his WHL career. The Rodewald goal was very nice looking too with the patience/skill of Stephenson.

For whats its worth Schiedl & Stephenson share the league leaders in points after 1 game. Yes they are tied with 2 Warriors & Wheat Kings but they have all played 2 games.

Im alot more excited for this season after tonites game as i really wasnt sure what to think of our roster at the start of training camp. A few trades during training camp/preseason by Lang has added depth & toughness throughout the line up. With the systems that Conacher is playing & the speed we have on the roster it should lead to a lot of entertaining hockey games.

So tempted to head up to SC tomorrow nite, just trying to find someone to go with who isnt attending the Rider game in the afternoon arrrgh.

Add Rieder to your list and I would agree.

I was impressed by some of the young guys. They got stronger as the game went on. Look at Hunt. He was a little nervous his first couple of shifts, but in the second and third he was able to have a couple of good cycles and created a couple of offensive chances.

I thought Jobke did a good job. With all the 19 and 20 year olds on the backend it is going to be tough to find ice for Burroughs and Peel. And those guys need to play at least once a week. But, that is a good problem to have, depth on the backend. I don't think that Lang will have a problem finding a trading partner now or closer towards the trade deadline.

How close is Moser to coming back? I really think this guy could be a top power forward in this league.

Don't get too high on this team yet. It is only one game and against a lesser team (sorry Bronco fans). When the Pats took the lead there was zero push back from the Broncos. It will be interesting to see how this team stacks up against those teams that will be fighting for those last couple of playoff spots (PA, MH, RD, Saskatoon).

Hey, glad to see you guys are tied with us for first ha ha nice win against swift current

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Our D looks fantastic, & yes even Bortsmayer looked pretty solid in a regular shift (maybe ill get off the Bortsmayer talk for abit) our top 5 D are all 19 or 20yrs old.
    I don't know how Borstmayer looked in Swift Current but in Regina, he didn't look outta place. He made a couple good plays.

If he continues to play this way, he's not getting re-assigned, which creates a real log jam for the 6 and 7 D spots. It looks like Zimbaluk might be next to be re-assigned.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Bepoleon View Post
    I don't know how Borstmayer looked in Swift Current but in Regina, he didn't look outta place. He made a couple good plays.

If he continues to play this way, he's not getting re-assigned, which creates a real log jam for the 6 and 7 D spots. It looks like Zimbaluk might be next to be re-assigned.

Yes this is true Bortsmayer played a solid game in Regina not sure how he looked in SC either but if he is out 6th Dman Burroughs is already on our roster reguardless of it #6 or #7 guy i still think it leaves Peel as the odd guy out. Burroughs bring more to the ice then Peel does & he is a year younger.

I dont see nothing special in Peel anyways, yes he is offensive but thats it. With the composer our D has Davidson, Jobke & Blidstrand are all more then capable of supplying the offense from the back end. I dont see the Pats reassigning Peel i think its either make this roster or he is traded, & personally i dont think making this roster is in the cards. Just too much depth & experience on our backend & Burroughs is the future of our D & is more then ready to be in the WHL.

If we hadnt gotten Jobke for Bell then Peel has a spot. Unfortunately i think Peel is caught in a numbers game that isnt going to turn out for him well on the Pats roster.

Whether you like Peel's game or not - since its clear you dont-, I think the Pats have him in their plans anyways, or he would have been moved by now.

If you ask me, it would be retarded to move him considering that next year we are at least losing the two 20s, Blidstrand, and possibly Jobke. We need all the experience we can get next year, and Peel has talent unlike Zimbaluk, Sparrow etc.

Anyone know why we didn't have replays of the goals etc? - Pats or Brandt Centre's Fault?

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
    Whether you like Peel's game or not - since its clear you dont-, I think the Pats have him in their plans anyways, or he would have been moved by now.

If you ask me, it would be retarded to move him considering that next year we are at least losing the two 20s, Blidstrand, and possibly Jobke. We need all the experience we can get next year, and Peel has talent unlike Zimbaluk, Sparrow etc.
    Sparrow isnt even protected by the Pats anymore & nor should he have been.... I know Peel has talent but where do u find him ice especailly if they keep Bortsmayer around??

Do they send him to Junior A for this season (even tho he has the talent to play now) ? it wouldnt make sense at all to carry 8 Dman where ur top 5 will not be in & out of the line up.

Someone has to go between Bortsmayer/Peel/Burroughs & we all know it WONT be Burroughs. It also doesnt make sense to send Burroughs to play a year of midget as he is even more ready then Peel is.

It wont kill Burroughs to play less than 50 games this year, and if he plays and impresses he will get more than that and knock a veteran down the depth chart a bit. Same applies to Peel, though I think he will establish himself as a regular by then.

I do feel that whatever happens, Zimbaluk gets reassigned somewhere, and also it would not be the worst thing in the world to keep the quality depth. We want a competitive team, and if it isnt broke, dont fix it.

Iconwhl

Zimbulak will get reassigned no questions about it since we added another Dman to our roster. Just doesnt make alot of sense to carry 8 Dman is all... i guess time will tell what happens between Bortsmayer/Peel/Burroughs

Also on a side note Weal's iron man streak of 172 consecutive games was broke on Friday nite when he was a healthy scratch (from what i heard was due to him missing a team meeting) prob bites him in the ass alittle bit knowing why he was scratched if this is the truth or not.