Thread: Hitmen-Americans Trade

Default Hitmen-Americans Trade

The Hitmen have sent Nathan MacMaster to the Americans for defenceman Brock Sutherland.

Sutherland, who was dealt to Tri-City as a 17-year-old from the Lethbridge Hurricanes, wraps up a solid career in an Americans’ sweater. A 6’2 205-pound defenseman from Brandon, Manitoba, Sutherland arrived in Tri-City as part of a November 2008 package deal that also brought Mitch Fadden and Cam Stevens to the Americans in exchange for Eric Mestery and Drew Hoff. Sutherland went on to play 167 of his total 186 WHL games with Tri-City, totaling seven goals, 40 points, 155 penalty minutes and a plus-22 rating. Sutherland also departs having played in 39 playoff games with the Americans, ranking him tied for 8th all-time.
    Full release here.

Its an interesting move by Kisio, trading a 19 year old for a 20 year old defenseman. The move leaves the Hitmen with 5 overagers now, Bubnick, Miller, Snider, Sutherland and Wilson.

There are several scenarios that might play out here but I still think that Snider is one of the overagers to go. Once Dreidger is healthy and ready to go, he becomes the starter in my opinion. Maybe Ben Wilson is not coming back or maybe Kisio sends Bubnick somewhere. Lots of decisions left to be made.

I think the Snider portion is a no-brainer. Why have an o/a spot wasted on a guy who should be spending at least half the games on the bench after Driedger returns. Snider is not anywhere near elite, at times he is ok but not any better.

Maybe Wilson doesn't come back, seems to be getting some buzz. Bubnick would be the most movable chip and makes sense as a possible trade. Personally I like Bubnick and hopes he stays or gets moved in January to a serious contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I think the Snider portion is a no-brainer. Why have an o/a spot wasted on a guy who should be spending at least half the games on the bench after Driedger returns. Snider is not anywhere near elite, at times he is ok but not any better.

Maybe Wilson doesn't come back, seems to be getting some buzz. Bubnick would be the most movable chip and makes sense as a possible trade. Personally I like Bubnick and hopes he stays or gets moved in January to a serious contender.
    What's Bubnick's strengths and weaknesses in your opinion?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I like Bubnick's two way game. He has no problems in all three zones. I think he gets a bad rap as inconsistent and lazy. He came to camp obviously motivated in great shape and looks much quicker out there. I don't think he is a high end scorer but he can put the puck in the net in streaks. I think he is what you look for in a weak overage year. A kid with a good two way game, who has the ability to add some solid point totals. He allows the team to have players like Gogolev and Kirsch who need road maps to figure out the defensive zone.