Thread: CBC distances itself from Don Cherry’s pro-fighting comments

Default CBC distances itself from Don Cherry’s pro-fighting comments

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. on Saturday took the rare - but not unprecedented - step of clarifying its position on comments made by Don Cherry on Coach's Corner.

The former Boston Bruins coach, during an intermission on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada broadcast on Thursday, used strong language to criticize some former NHL tough guys. In the controversial rant, Cherry identified a handful of former NHL pugilists he says are now against fighting in hockey because of the recent off-ice deaths of enforcers Wade Belak, Rick Rypien and Derek Boogaard.

“Recent comments made by Don Cherry on Hockey Night in Canada’s Coach’s Corner regarding headshots and fighting in professional hockey have been the subject of considerable debate,” Kirstine Stewart, CBC’s executive vice-president of English services, said in the statement. “I wish to clarify, in no uncertain terms, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.’s position on this issue.

“Don’s comments reflect his own opinion. While we support his right to voice that opinion, we do not share his position. Player safety is a top priority for CBC, and we support the initiatives of the NHL and others in keeping players safe on and off the ice.”

Between periods of Thursday’s game between the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs, Cherry took aim at the recent surge in anti-fighting sentiment.

“You people that are against fighting, you should be ashamed of yourselves,” he said.

In the segment, Cherry referred to the retired players as “pukes” and “hypocrites” for being against fighting in hockey, even though some of them claim they never even made such views public.

“The ones that I am really disgusted with, and I hate to say this when the kids are listening . . . are the bunch of pukes that fought before: Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson. (They say) ‘Oh, the reason that they’re drinking, (taking) drugs and alcoholics is because they fight.’ You turncoats. You hypocrites,” Cherry said.

Cherry also lamented the possibility of the NHL cracking down on hits to the head, given the prominence of recent concussion-related injuries, including the one that has sidelined superstar Sidney Crosby since the middle of last season.

Stewart added that she had spoken with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and made clear the network’s position on such issues.

CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson said there have been other occasions over the years when the network voiced a position in relation to something Cherry said on Coach’s Corner.

“It’s obvious that Don’s opinion on this particular subject was controversial, and understandably it’s become part of the media dialogue and conversations across the country with hockey fans from coast to coast around the whole issue of violence in hockey,” Thompson said.

“We just wanted to ensure that we clarified the CBC’s position on player safety.”

Thompson said the CBC issued a statement in 2004 in response to Cherry’s comments that visors were for “Europeans and French guys,” adding that its executives also sometimes use media interviews to make their views known.

Thompson added that it’s not uncommon for CBC executives to consult with the NHL on “many aspects of what we do,” calling the league “a very important partner of the CBC.”

He added that Cherry’s employment with CBC is not at risk, reiterating Stewart’s comment supporting his right to voice his opinion.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/sports/distanc...#ixzz1aESOuvVD

Good read. I disagree with CBC's stand though..Don Cherry is a legend and if it was up to me, it would be illegal to disagree with Don.

I cant blame CBC, they are taking the safe stance to maintain their status quo.

I agree about Cherry though. Its astonishing how often people question his knowledge of whats best for the game. Its especially fashionable with 'fans' who have not only not played the game, but have not even held an interest in the game for double digit years.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post

I agree about Cherry though. Its astonishing how often people question his knowledge of whats best for the game. Its especially fashionable with 'fans' who have not only not played the game, but have not even held an interest in the game for double digit years.
    i agree...don cherry has said for years that a big reason for concusions was becuase of the size of equipment and the hard plastic its made of....guess whats happening this year in the whl this year??? a regulation on equipment of having a hard outter shell...so he does get it, he just sometimes comes across wrong....give him credit he wears his heart on his sleave and doesnt give a crap what you think....personally i like him

If i had a suit of armour id play out there too with out worry. The equipment needs to be addressed. Yup the arguement that the players are bigger and stronger and therfore require larger equipment is out there. Thats a load of CRAP. If i made a hit that hurt myself, maybe i hit a bit lighter next time. Im not saying go back to the days of the sears catalog strapped to players legs but come on those new pads are as big and hard as footbal pads. We have to start it in our junior leagues too. The parents of little johnny who dont want to see thier boy getting hurt have to stop suiting him in a bubble with a shell. Teach him to skate and keep his head up. Teach the young players to roll away from direct contact. Let bigger johnny feel some of the bumps and bruises. thats when the respect and change to our game will happen.

Oh ya DON is right, those who are speaking out had to power to control thier own lives on and off the ice. Dont try to point fingers now. im not saying it isnt a factor in thier lives now, but they could have taken other steps to decrease its effect.
    Last edited by lostsheep; 10-09-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Thumbs up

Totally agree with Grapes take on the fighting issue. Take out the instigator rule and then watch the mayhem. We won't need the rule because the players will respect each other enough not to fight or hit dirty or play with their sticks over their shoulders or to aim for the head when hitting. No tag icing? Is this a joke they are trying to foist on us also? Who doesn't want to watch players get slammed into the board head first or tripped and end up beaking bones so they can't play for a year. Oh yeah we all want that , don't we!! Geez, if only. There is no respect anymore. And if toning down the level of the equipment makes it so that you feel every hit as bad or worse than the guy getting hit, maybe players will start taking accountability for their actions!! Then we can watch hockey. I like a good fight, and I reiterate, PLAY HOCKEY!!

Thumbs up

The truth hurts. Unfortunately the media and society in general have an issue with somebody being blatantly honest. Which is even more reason to respect someone like Don. He says what a lot of other hockey people are too afraid to say in front of the camera or microphone.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post

just to play devils advocate, if he is is sooo knowledgeable on whats best for the game, why does he work foir CBC and not the league itself?

Quote Originally Posted by salmonkingsforever View Post
    just to play devils advocate, if he is is sooo knowledgeable on whats best for the game, why does he work foir CBC and not the league itself?
    That would suggest you believe the people working for the league are some of the most knowledgeable about the game. And we all know that isn't the case. It's all politics and lawyers. Not true hockey people. Otherwise the game we would see would be much different than it is currently...