Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision Day

Iconcup Decision Day

heres a link to watch the decision live...the official announcement should be around 430 cst.
    http://www.whl.ca/webcast

Iconcup

Well considering Kelowna hosted it in 04, I would say it's probably a two horse race between the Blades and Rebels. I suppose it would depend on if they took that into account or not, but Kelowna hosting it would surprise me. On the other hand when Kelowna did host it, it was a huge success so they may want to go back there. Saskatoon just hosted the WJHC's so will that hurt or help their chances?

I will say this, being from Kelowna, but living in Saskatoon for the past 13 years, I really hope the Blades don't get it. I'm not saying this to be a troll or anything, I'm just saying what I've seen from living here. I've been to a lot of Blades games over the years and for the most part their fan base is awful. Yes, the team was awful for a long time and that will hurt any team's attendance, but even the last few years when the team has been one of the best in the league there were still games I went to where the attendance was under 5,000 people. For a city for over 220,000, there is no excuse for not drawing at least 7,000 for every game, whether the team is good or bad. Kelowna draws 6,000 to every game and the city is half the size, and they would sell a lot more tickets too, but Prospera Place only holds about 6,100. Lots of people will come on here and say "Well we drew 10-11 thousand every playoff game last year." Yes well every team draws more during playoffs. I went to a game last year where the announced attendance on a Friday night was just over 3,600. On a Friday night, with a first place team, you can't even get 4,000 fans? Gimme a break! I've been to lots of WHL cities where every time you walk down the street you hear someone talking about the local team, see a flag waving on a car window, or someone in a jersey or jacket, or wearing a team hat. It's very rare to see that in Saskatoon and I think that says a lot. I really wish the fans would embrace the team here more, because they really have had a great team the last few years.

I'm not saying the Memorial Cup wouldn't be successful, in fact I think it would be a huge success, just like the World Jr's were, because the people here really know how to throw a party and would embrace the event, but I think that the fans should prove to the League and the CHL that they deserve to host it, by showing a lot more support to their local team before they are given the honour to host the Memorial Cup.
    Kelowna Rockets
    Division Titles: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
    Regular Season Championships: 2003, 2004, 2014
    Western Conference Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Western Hockey League Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Memorial Cup Championships: 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets1231 View Post
    Well considering Kelowna hosted it in 04, I would say it's probably a two horse race between the Blades and Rebels. I suppose it would depend on if they took that into account or not, but Kelowna hosting it would surprise me.
    I totally agree, just have to see if the committee takes into account prior hosting success, but just can't see us hosting 9 years apart

Good luck Blades and Rebels fans, one of those 2 teams will likely get it.

Yes the attendance has not been great over the years. It does seem to be getting better as the Blades have had over 4000 for every game except for last night. Tuesday is always a tough draw though. The Season Ticket base is also up apparently so the city is slowly getting on the teams back after three pretty good years in a row. I think in the next few years the Blades attendance will be averaging where it should be!

Iconwhl

Well considering Kelowna hosted it in 04, I would say it's probably a two horse race between the Blades and Rebels. I suppose it would depend on if they took that into account or not, but Kelowna hosting it would surprise me. On the other hand when Kelowna did host it, it was a huge success so they may want to go back there. Saskatoon just hosted the WJHC's so will that hurt or help their chances?

I will say this, being from Kelowna, but living in Saskatoon for the past 13 years, I really hope the Blades don't get it. I'm not saying this to be a troll or anything, I'm just saying what I've seen from living here. I've been to a lot of Blades games over the years and for the most part their fan base is awful. Yes, the team was awful for a long time and that will hurt any team's attendance, but even the last few years when the team has been one of the best in the league there were still games I went to where the attendance was under 5,000 people. For a city for over 220,000, there is no excuse for not drawing at least 7,000 for every game, whether the team is good or bad. Kelowna draws 6,000 to every game and the city is half the size, and they would sell a lot more tickets too, but Prospera Place only holds about 6,100. Lots of people will come on here and say "Well we drew 10-11 thousand every playoff game last year." Yes well every team draws more during playoffs. I went to a game last year where the announced attendance on a Friday night was just over 3,600. On a Friday night, with a first place team, you can't even get 4,000 fans? Gimme a break! I've been to lots of WHL cities where every time you walk down the street you hear someone talking about the local team, see a flag waving on a car window, or someone in a jersey or jacket, or wearing a team hat. It's very rare to see that in Saskatoon and I think that says a lot. I really wish the fans would embrace the team here more, because they really have had a great team the last few years.

I'm not saying the Memorial Cup wouldn't be successful, in fact I think it would be a huge success, just like the World Jr's were, because the people here really know how to throw a party and would embrace the event, but I think that the fans should prove to the League and the CHL that they deserve to host it, by showing a lot more support to their local team before they are given the honour to host the Memorial Cup.
    There are a group of dedicated fans that deserve it. But other than that the attendance has been god aweful. Im honestly hoping for RD or SASK. Nothing against Kelowna but thats far away.
    BLEED BLUE

we got it!!!!!!!!

Gotta love no sound on webcast

I do agree that junior support of the local team should be a factor in deciding this. But what it will boil down to is the almighty dollar. The one thing I wonder is what the casual hockey fan will do? The CIS' University Cup has been awarded to Saskatoon for 2013 and 2014. Thus, the March before the 2013 Memorial Cup will see the University Cup played.

When Saskatoon hosted it in the past, the U of S Huskies games drew 10,000ish people for each of their games. Considering that the hockey Dogs draw under 1,000 for their games and really don't have the following of the football team, this is outstanding. Since the large part of the crowd is made up of casual hockey fans and not diehard Huskies fans, this would be the same crowd that would make up the Memorial Cup crowd. I haven't heard what ticket prices will be for the University Cup, but if they are more than $30-$40 per game, I can see the casual fans possibly skipping the Memorial Cup if they paid for the University Cup a few months earlier.

The other thing with this thrown into the mix is that the Blades have to be playing very close to the Memorial Cup. It will be hard for the Blades to keep the hype up on the tournament if they aren't playing. So I hope they do it.

Just noticed the press conference is on but has no sound. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by fro14 View Post
    we got it!!!!!!!!
    I hope that was what the muted press conference said.

All I know, they said from what I saw through his lips, saskatoon blades 2013 memorial cup