Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    "and the boards refusal to extend his contract". Is this true or just another concourse rumor?
    My understanding was of the whole situation was that in the spring following the 07/08 season, both Stasiuk and Dyck were offered the options in their contracts. Stasiuk took his option and Dyck turned his down. Obviously hoping the 08/09 season would be a success and put him in a position of strength for coaching jobs around this league and others. Unfortunately the 08/09 season was a complete failure with the talent that was on that team. Barely making the playoffs and going out in the second round.

Stasiuk, who had the option he had taken left on his contract, was fired and Dyck's contract was left to expire. The decision of the new coach was to be put to the new GM. who immediately hired himself as coach. Obviously a bigger cheque to him having both jobs.

So is this straight? Dyck and Stasiuk both were offered options. Dyck turned it down, Stasiuk accepted and then was let go? Sounds like business to me. Tail wag dog, dog wag tail.

So is this straight? Dyck and Stasiuk both were offered options. Dyck turned it down, Stasiuk accepted and then was let go? Sounds like business to me. Tail wag dog, dog wag tail.
    Yes, that is how I understood it. Stasiuk was fired one year after his acceptance of his option.

Default almost right

From what I was told back then was that both were indeed offered extensions and Michael Dyck refused it so long as Roy was still in charge. It was obvious that the two could not work together. The board was entirely aware of this as there was people were brought in to try and fix things between the two, but to no avail. That they say is history, and after that a lot of dirty laundry was brought to light and then Roy got fired, costing us once again thousands of dollars. We lost a great coach, a lousy GM and were back at square one as we have done a million times before. Now we have a good GM but not such a good coach. You must learn from history or you are bound to relive it time and time again.

Default I have trouble understanding,

if the idea 2 years ago was to build a team from the back out, then why we traded off 2 of our most veteran defencemen. I understand that Anderson wanted off the team and with Ketlo we had stability in net. But to trade off 2 defencemen at the same time, knowing that Johnson/Hulit are both out with obviously some long term injuries, it was the worst time to make that trade. Now we have no defensive core left, cause everyone skates around Kiziuk and Oslanski. Blomqvist has been more penalty prone than offering real stability and Henry is in one game and out the rest. Only Erkamps has shown to be able to hold down a spot, but for a 16 year, the WHL is going to be one long season and he will wear down fast.

Moving Braes back to cover defense shows the lack of confidence in the present core of defencemen and just plain lacking in bodies on defence. Bringing in players like Topping, Pilon, and Duke when they are not part of any practices, is only a game to game fix.

Where has Leverton and Merkley been the last few games? If they were dressed and playing, they are non-existant on the ice. For some top notch talent and draft picks, they are not playing or producing what they should/could be. Yakabowski and Mechenie seem to be working hard along with Hood, Ramsay and the top line of Sutter, Braes and Tot.

Again, horrible trading sending 2 of top defencemen out at a time when we desperately need them. Not rolling lines so all the forwards can improve their skills, and lack of any kind of systems or plays will keep this team in the basement for years to come. You can't develop talent and skill if you are not taught anything. A person does not have to go watch a practice to see what if anything is being taught. After 2 years and we can't break out of our zone effectively answers all questions. That breakout should be a tic tac toe and you are out. The team is slow, unorganized and never knows where another player is going or suppose to be.

I will be surprised if at trade deadline, we don't see some trades involving Sutter and Braes. Being 'C' and 'A', it is always difficult to send them away, but being that they are 20 year old, you might get some trade value for them. IMO Solfilias has been out for so long and is no where near being able to play so he should be sent home. And Hulit, he has been out most all of last spring with concussion issues and again now, and likely should also be sent home. That would make room for some added players who CAN PLAY. They have both been taking up space on the roster and have not done anything for nearly a year. It will take them a few months just to get back into shape to be productive and then it is the end of the season anyways.

The present team will be lucky if it can break the amount of wins over the previous 2 seasons. I see them as 'lucky' to get a 20 game win, and the sad part: it isn't the fans, the city, or the board that will lose out as much as the kids who are trying to advance their careers into something and will lose that chance .. IF SOMETHING IS NOT DONE VERY SOON!!!!

Last edited by 2speak4all; 11-05-2011 at 11:32 AM.

How have liston and Galbraith done for you guys? Anderson has been as advertized, inconsistent.....
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 2speak4all View Post
    IMO Solfilias has been out for so long and is no where near being able to play so he should be sent home. And Hulit, he has been out most all of last spring with concussion issues and again now, and likely should also be sent home. That would make room for some added players who CAN PLAY. They have both been taking up space on the roster and have not done anything for nearly a year. It will take them a few months just to get back into shape to be productive and then it is the end of the season anyways.
    Agreed, someone has to make the decision for these kids to maybe get on with the rest of their lives. Either the parents convince them to hang the skates up before something life altering happens to effect the rest of their lives or management of this team releases them and sends them home. Being this long for Sofillas and the number of times Hulit has had concussions in a short time period, any parent should have deep concerns.

Default both have been good in my eyes.............

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    How have liston and Galbraith done for you guys? Anderson has been as advertized, inconsistent.....
    i really like liston, i think he gives up the odd goal that he wishes he had back but all in all he stands tall for the most part.(especially on a bad team)galbraith is gritty to say the least and is fun to watch, both are a welcome addition to our team...........
    GO CANES GO.................

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    Liston has been OK and at least as effective as Anderson, plus a year younger. Once Ketlo is healthy, Liston will either be a healthy backup for Ketlo. Then they still have Kovacs and a decision on him whether to carry 3 goalies, send Kovacs to a Junior A team or try to trade one of Ketlo or Liston. Following this year, they could have Liston, Kovacs and Hogue who will be 16 and currently playing AAA midget here in Lethbridge. Hogue played very well in the preseason.

Galbraith has been OK, but remember he is playing on a team full of 5/6 defenseman.

Wish nothing the best for Liston and Galbraith
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.