Thread: VS CALGARY

Default VS Leth

I have confidence we can kill off this 5-3 and move on to win the game. doesnt change the fact that Yaworski took a early uncalled for roughing penalty and then down a man a after whistle squirmish starts, everyone is seperated, ref is taking a player from each team and yaworski keeps going. We are now going to kill a 5-3.
    As a little cherry on top he tries the break out pass way too many times which lead to at least 3 icings tonight keeping tired fwds on the ice.

I know as usual I am maybe being a prick to tyler but I really see no reason for players to stay on this team when your chances of winning drop significantly when he is on the ice.

All in all, good game, hope coach young can keep the guys going.

McNeil is so close on so many plays I have no doubt he will get going.

Maylan continues to dominate and his defensive game has really improved this year.

Williams was stellar as he typically is. His recovery game is fantastic!

Ruopp played very physical and took a penalty that was iffy

Corbin is our most consistent d man, while not the best you know what you will get every shift.
    Last edited by TalkHockey; 11-04-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Iconwhl

was there any defense being played by either team? 101 shots on goal from the WHL summary that is just insane lol

Default vs Lethbridge

Hurricanes were weak, and had sloppy goaltending, but we'll take a win any way we can right now. Giving up 49 shots to this team is a concern, but a lot of them were perimeter shots & Williams did a nice job of limiting rebounds other than the 1st goal.

We only had 1 power play chance, and scored on it. Berry and Vanscourt were on the point, and NO SHORTIES against. Now was that so hard to figure out (19 Games into the Season)?

Tochkin, Winther, Maylan were really good in this game. Tochkin seems to have found some good chemistry with his line-mates and is a very unselfish player, giving the puck up at the right times to team-mates who are in a position to generate chances.

Fiddler, McNeill, Herrod had some shifts where they dominated play and kept puck possession, especially in the 3rd period. They created all the pressure and then changed lines, keeping Lethbridge pinned in their own end , leading up to Maylan's goal in the 3rd. Still looking for consistency and team work as McNeill and Herrod seem to battle each other for possession of the puck at times.

Knutsen, Knowler, Hlinka had some struggles in the defensive zone. I thought Hlinka had a better game last game, but worked hard. This line has to generate a few more scoring chances to be effective. I liked Knowler's energy and drive; a little like Andrew Herle was last year. Knutsen doesn't shy away from contact, and seems to like to initiate it. Lose the "soccer-player's embellishment" and you've got the makings of a very good player.

Bourhis, Braid, Berry played a simple game of getting pucks deep and applying pressure. Bourhis has played his best hockey as a Raider the last 3 or 4 games. He knows his role on the team and has accepted it, but it looks like he has a bit more to offer than before. Would like to see him thrown on a few shifts with some more skilled line-mates in the middle of some games and create some garbage goals by parking in front of the net. Nice to see berry finally get some ice.

Hart, Ruopp were a pretty effective defensive pair. Ruopp continues to dish out big hits. They need him to stay healthy to put together some wins.. Hart uses his size & strength pretty well in the D-Zone, but can be clocked with a sun dial. Teams with speed beat him wide rather easily. He won't win any foot races, but is able to anticipate enough to overcome his lack of speed usually.

Yawarski, Vanscourt. I actually like this pairing. You've got a banger paired with a puck-mover. Yawarski wins most of his battles on the boards and in front, and Vanscourt moves the puck really well. If #3 cuts down on his bad judgment in taking penalties (Really, another roughing after the whistle to put us a man down again- good teams will feast on this), and Vanscourt cuts down on his turnovers, this could wind up being a really effective pair. Both players make up for the other's shortcomings.

Morrissey, Corbin. Morrissey shows flashes of brilliance, but still is prone to rookie mistakes. Corbin has finally found his game and played with the confidence and competence that has been missing so far this season.

Williams had a nice bounce back game after not playing well against Calgary.
    Solid mechanics and few rebounds. He faced 49 shots, but credit to the team for being mostly from the outside, and limiting the 2nd chances.

Looking Forward: I like this team's chances against Swift current tonight. The Monkey is off their back and now maybe can relax and just play simple hockey. Swift is the only team in the league that has given up more goals than the Raiders, so it could be an offensive showdown. Go Boys!

^^ nice write up!
    Seeing Bouhris replace either Mcneil or Herrod for a couple shifts (to play with the other) or Fiddler on the second line to play with Tochkin and Maylan is not a bad idea. I agree he has been playing great hockey and it was as simple as understanding his role.
    He can lay a crushing hit against the boards which leads to a turn over where we rush it down the ice and set things up and finally score. While he is not in on the play coaches need to tell him that he created the entire play!
    Yaworski has more potential than any other d man. The things he has to work on are as simple as one could ask for. Stop thinking you are a tough guy (unless you want to drop the gloves without taking a instigator.) and just play like the player you really are.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by puckdad View Post
    Hurricanes were weak, and had sloppy goaltending, but we'll take a win any way we can right now. Giving up 49 shots to this team is a concern

U make it sound like the Raiders are huge steps above them, which there not seeing ur guys defense that came into regina (& then the next day trading away Bettauer) there is a huge concern in PA on the backend, outside of McNeil, Herrod & Maylan not much of a push back at all... another year of a 1 line hockey club just like when it was McDonald, Bernhardt & whoever else played with them (dont feel like searching it)

tonite will be a SC win

I think the raiders win tonight and start a pretty good streak (could losses in between)
    I think the respect for coach Young is much higher than it was for Bruno.
    The monkey is off the back in terms of the losing skid and Coach young is only going to make these guys better throughout the season.

We had 1 PP lastnight vs Leth 6 Powerplays. That can explain a big part of the shots against and we still mustered quite a few ourselves despite being shorthanded so often.

If I was coach young I would implement a rule on being benched for after whistle rough stuff. I know you need to protect your goalie but it seems as though quite a few players get excited when the whistle goes to get involved in the rough stuff. 6 of our 8 penalties lastnight were roughing. Granted a couple were off setting these are still opportunities for us to go to the PP.