Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oil Kings at Victoria Royals 08 Nov 11

Whoops !! Forgot that I'm not supposed to offer products for sale on this site, SORRY !!

You want it for FREE???? ( that way I'm doing it legal like )

Quote Originally Posted by 50sWHLer View Post
    Blue Salmon King Home Jersey ??? --- OR Royals Jersey?? --You a Turncoat?

Say, I've got an ECHL Salmon King Playoff Banner ---- You want to buy it and add to your Collection?? Rare, & a definite item that a Real Collector like you should have ! -- interested ?

LETS GO ROYALS --- DRILL THOSE OILERS !!!

Royals of course....i tried GIVING AWAY my SKINGS jersey but there were NO TAKERS...

Hmmm! I was thinking of wearing a white jersey myself.

Iconwhl

Ouch!

Unhappy Stinky

I'm awaiting the 50's/WOB I told you so posting...ought to be a classic.

Well, they have had a couple of stinkers like this on the road, but this is the first truly bad game at home. Good crowd with a good attitude (I enjoyed the semi-ironic "wave" in the third) and most hung around, at least until the 50/50 was drawn.

Guess I should have known this wasn't to be the night as I walked up the stairs from the concourse, got my eyes on the ice as the Oil Kings scored in about 30 seconds.

The concerning factor for me was the utter collapse of the Royals the minute Sundher went out with a mysterious injury - he didn't look that bad leaving the ice, but he wasn't seen again. He's obviously the glue that holds things together, as the reorganised lines were ragged...basically each line was a third line. We had some quite bad luck at times, but there was never any question as to who was going to win this one.

Post Royals lose more than a game

Royals lose more than a game

BY MARIO ANNICCHIARICO, TIMESCOLONIST.COM NOVEMBER 8, 2011 10:41 PM

It was a night of firsts at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre on Tuesday, much to the chagrin of the Victoria Royals.

The Western Hockey League club lost its second straight at home for just the first time this season, taking an 8-2 pounding from the talented Edmonton Oil Kings, who used defenceman Cody Corbett’s first goal and first assist in posting the victory.

Corbett, a recent addition from Lakeland Minn., was a fight away from a Gordie Howe hat-trick in just his third WHL game.

Prior to the thumping, the Royals were 6-2-0-1 in their first nine at home and coming off a 5-3 loss to the Vancouver Giants on Saturday.

They were simply over-powered on Tuesday and to add injury to insult, they also lost team leader Kevin Sundher as he was banged up in the first period and didn’t come out for the second or third.

“We’re usually pretty good at home, but that was our worst game at home, by far,” said Royals general manager and head coach Marc Habscheid, who was not happy with his team’s work ethic or structure.

“We were late to pucks and we didn’t compete at all,” he said. “We didn’t play. We didn’t spin a wheel.”

Habscheid also couldn’t give any further information on Sundher, who was injured midway through the first period.

It didn’t take long for the Oil Kings to get going. Edmonton’s fine rookie Curtis Lazar, a Vernon native who was selected second overall in the WHL bantam draft two seasons ago, opened the scoring with his sixth just 33 seconds in. Michael St. Croix extended his point-scoring streak to 11 games with an assist on the quick goal that set the Royals back on their heels.

Zane Jones tied it up for Victoria on a power play at 12:57, before Corbett restored the one-goal advantage for the visitors on a slapper from the point that eluded Victoria netminder Keith Hamilton at 17:11 of the first.

St. Croix, a fourth-round pick (106th overall) of the New York Rangers, made it 3-1 on a man advantage five minutes into the second and Rhett Rachinski increased it to 4-1 midway through the middle frame and the rout was on. St. Croix finished with two goals and two assists.

“We wanted to get those first two points of this road trip,” said St. Croix. “We wanted to leave a mark. These fans are so great here, it was crucial for us to get on them fast and that’s what we did,”

Royals forward Logan Nelson and Edmonton’s Stephane Legault — with his first of two — exchanged goals 16 seconds apart late in the second. The fifth Oil Kings goal chased Hamilton from the Victoria net, allowing the handful on 18 shots. Kristans Pelss also scored for Edmonton.

Victoria’s No. 1 unit, consisting of Sundher, former Oil King Robin Soudek and Brandon Magee, came into the contest with 24 points among them in the last four contests. Magee managed the lone point, an assist.

Laurent Brossoit collected his 10th victory of the season in the Edmonton net, making 17 saves. Jared Rathjen stopped 14 in relief of Hamilton.

Victoria plays host to the Red Deer Rebels on Saturday and Sunday at 7 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively.

LOOSE PUCKS: Griffin Reinhart’s dad, Paul, a Stanley Cup champion former member of the Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks, was in the building for his son’s first visit to Victoria and will watch again tonight at home in Vancouver.

The Edmonton D was too tough for us,they were big,mobile and treated us like girls. I am finding problems with our goaltending unit...we got beaten from start to finish.

Our forwards were never there. The Oil Kings danced all over us this evening.
    Oil Kings D men were unbelievable. Now I know why they have the #1 in the WHL.
    As much as I do not like the word, but maybe some benching of players will get them to get out there and play rather than "Singing in the Rain"

If Vancouver does well against them Wednesday evening I wil be suprised.

Game Highlights
    http://youtu.be/AZjOXwBRFqU

1st Period

Oil Kings 1st goal by Curtis Lazar 0:05
    Fight between Oil Kings Jordan Peddle and Royals Tim Traber 0:20
    Royals 1st goal by Zane Jones (PP) 0:58
    Oil Kings 2nd goal by Cody Corbett 1:40

2nd Period

Oil Kings 3rd goal by Michael St. Croix (PP) 2:13
    Fight between Oil Kings Ryan Dech and Royals Robin Soudek 2:19
    Oil Kings 4th goal by Rhett Rachinski 3:13
    Royals 2nd goal by Logan Nelson 3:50
    Oil Kings 5th goal by Stephane Legault 4:06
    Oil Kings 6th goal by Kristians Pelss 4:14

3rd Period

Oil Kings 7th goal by Michael St. Croix (PP) 4:49
    Oil Kings 8th goal by Stephane Legault 5:08

Attendance

SHOTS 1 2 3 Total
    Edmonton Oil Kings 10 11 14 35
    Victoria Royals 5 8 6 19

3 Stars
    1. EDM - 18 Michael St. Croix
    2. EDM - 7 Stephane Legault
    3. EDM - 2 Cody Corbett

Game Summary
    http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59589

Great Summary Cdnsailor !!

Stinky, you just had to know, that when the Oil Kings scored in the first minute, that it was going to be that kind of a night.

The Home Team cannot WIN every game. The Royals were simply outplayed on every level.

I was surprised that Habshied pulled Hamilton at 5 - 2, in an attempt to stir up the Team. a 3 Goal deficit in Junior is nothing, & with Hamilton in there, the Royals would possibly had a chance to climb back in to the game.

And whats this one Ref thing?? 2 Refs on the weekends?? 1 on weekdays?? What is the WHL thinking? Double standard here?? Come on WHL - you have either a 1 or 2 Ref system, but NOT both !!

I'm sure that the Royals will regroup and give us a much improved performance on Saturday.

I'll be there ! Will YOU??

GO ROYALS GO !!!!