Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Better start getting wins

Default Better start getting wins

On paper we have a good team but on the ice that team on paper has dissapeared. 5 wins 16 losses would be ok if we battled every night and stayed out of the penalty box and were beat by better team's. There seem's to be know accountabilty when these players take bad penalties that ultimately cost games. We have lost a ton of 1 goal games this year due to bad penalties, shorthanded goals and lack of consistency. We sit in 11th place with 12 points. Edmonton sit's in the final playoff birth at 8th spot with 25 points. We are 13 points out of a playoff spot. I hate to say it but if this play continues we are going to miss playoffs and it will be that much harder to sell season tickets next year. Our rink at one time was very intimidating and hard to play in for other team's and if those other team's did win they earned it.

Iconcup

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    On paper we have a good team but on the ice that team on paper has dissapeared. 5 wins 16 losses would be ok if we battled every night and stayed out of the penalty box and were beat by better team's. There seem's to be know accountabilty when these players take bad penalties that ultimately cost games. We have lost a ton of 1 goal games this year due to bad penalties, shorthanded goals and lack of consistency. We sit in 11th place with 12 points. Edmonton sit's in the final playoff birth at 8th spot with 25 points. We are 13 points out of a playoff spot. I hate to say it but if this play continues we are going to miss playoffs and it will be that much harder to sell season tickets next year. Our rink at one time was very intimidating and hard to play in for other team's and if those other team's did win they earned it.
    I keep hearing and reading that we have a good team on 'paper'. What does that mean? The only real evaluation is wins and losses. Every year it's a different excuse ..... 'not enough toughness, too many penalties, not enough discipline'. Maybe a reality check is in order. The team isn't good enough. Its a shame. I hope the community has the patience for another rebuild. Campese wasn't/isn't the answer, neither is Young or Manson. The old guard traditionalists (think Board of Governors) have been the guiding hands for too long, way past their time. A new generation needs to step forward and resurrect a once proud franchise. But it probably won't happen, and my guess is we probably won't make the playoffs .... this year, or next or next. Thank you Bruno. Thank you Mr. McPhee.

In defense of the current coaching team, it takes more than a week to put your systems in play. What everyone means when saying this team is good on paper is...
    Mcneil is a first round draft pic, everyone expected him to take control. Even announcers of apposing teams start every game out saying to watch him. Then he is never brought up again.
    Herrod is a targeted player game in and game out. Teams know this guy can take a game by control on his own.
    Maylan is top 15 in the league in pts on a team in the bottom 3 for pts total. This guy could be top 5 on a decent team.
    Our goalies are "losing it" because it is demoralizing to be scored on and they are scored on so often because we are in the box.

Take control of the penalty situation and this team goes on a skid. I wish raider staff would read this. I GUARANTEE MY POSTING ON THIS SITE FOR GOOD IF.... Yaworski spends 3 games in the press and we do not win 2 of the games. As said before... how can a guy lead the league in minor..MINOR penalties and never miss a shift.

Default on paper

What that means is when you put player names and past stats and accomplishments on paper and see the quality of players this team has, they are a very good team. The crapshoot is whether or not they gel and develop chemistry. There are lots of roadblocks that a team on paper needs to overcome to become a great team on the ice. It's a work in progress and all we can do is hope that team on paper meets expectations soon. I still hold out hope.

when will management make the decision the season is lost and start dealing, can they afford to send that message to the community?

the raiders currently have to win 7 more games than either the pats or oil kings to squeak into 8th place. that's not just play equal to what the pats and oil kings do for the rest of the season, but outright win 7 more games, or some combination of 14 more points. at their current winning percentages that'll put regina and edmonton in the upper 30's for wins. for sake of argument say 37 wins. that would mean the raiders would need to get 44 wins? can the team win 39 out of the 49 left?

Iconwhl

im sorry but the Raiders rnt even a good team on paper they got 3 players & they are all forwards who are actually worth anything, McNiel is a soild player but isnt the type of guy to take control of a game he is a backseat passenger who has skills, he needs a guy infront of him to produce every game so he can as well.

He will be back next season so there is no reason to move him for prospects or picks, he just doesnt have it in him to move onto the next level yet. Maylan is 20 his value is not high to begin with cuz of his age, altho he be a great addition to the Pats offense (as would Maxwell) but i just dont see Lang making a swap of 20yr olds anytime soon, especially since Marantz has been traded twice already this year (not that, that has anything to do if he gets dealt again or not)

Herrod is a soild powerforward & would be an upgrade to alot of teams 20yr old situations. Outside of these 3 players there isnt alot there possibly Tockin but have heard he has a terrible attitude & is abit of a cancer on a team which is why MH traded him.

Im sure Young will turn this team around & head it in the right direction, but dont expect that to happen overnite either. Hopefully by late jan u guys r headed in the right direction, but can a small market team wait that long? The need for a small market (community owner team) to win now is so heavy in the bottom line, MJ is the only small market team that is having regular success. PA & SC have to start putting out soild teams again or the odd sof there team not making it anymore in such a money hungary league is slim to none. Not enough funding from the NHL to help these teams stay above water.

Good luck Raiders, times are tough yet again.

Default go raiders go

Mcneill last year had 81 points, Maylan 69 points, Herrod 68 points, Fiddler 38 points, Corbin 29 points. On paper you would think that these points are going to get better each and every year. Now add the supporting cast of Knutsen, Winther, Danyluk (hurt),and Tochkin on forward. Ruopp, Corbin, Vanscourt and Morrisey our defence should be strong. Williams in net should be hard to beat as he had a good rookie season. Myself, looking at these players on paper, there was know reason not to think we should have a good entertaining product on the ice. In September I would have never of thought we would be where we are: Last place, 13 points out of playoff spot, 85 power plays and only 15 goals scored, 9 shorthanded goals against (worst in whl) and 7 games lost by 1 goal difference.
    Last edited by Landon; 11-16-2011 at 02:52 PM.

I see Mike Winther and Cole Holowenko both made nhl.coms top draft eligible WHLers.

Good for them to be recognized. When the team starts rolling here there may be more. By season's end I suspect Danyluk to join that list, with a couple more possibilities. The more noise and better the team does, the better the individuals will do.

1-9 in the last 10 games