Thread: Headshots and Hockey: Ban fisticuffs? Those are fighting words (Part 3 of 5)

Default Headshots and Hockey: Ban fisticuffs? Those are fighting words (Part 3 of 5)

The issue of head injuries in hockey has been front and centre, especially with respect to concussions. Although the most prominent discussions have pertained to the NHL, the repercussions are far-reaching, extending to hockey's developmental system. With that in mind, Leader-Post sports writer Greg Harder has prepared a five-part series on head injuries. In today's instalment — Part 3 of the series — we delve into the fighter's mentality and pose the question of whether his role still has a place in the game.

REGINA — For better or worse, fighting is a part of hockey’s DNA — a means by which the game is identified.

It’s also the source of a polarized debate which raises the question of whether fighting is a vital organ or an antiquated piece of equipment.

“It’s disappointing to hear that because, if they do take it out of the game, it loses a lot of jobs for a lot of guys; guys like me,” offered Regina Pats scrapper Dyson Stevenson. “That’s what is going to get me somewhere, hopefully. If I give that up, I don’t really have much. I have a little bit of skill but that’s a big part of my game.”

In Campbell Elynuik’s mind, it’s a big part of hockey in general.

“It’s something that brings excitement to the game,” said the Prince George Cougars’ tough guy. “You have to be honest, fans love watching fights. When two guys drop the gloves, what does everyone do? They stand up. I feel it will always stay in the game.”

Although many hockey fans agree, the anti-fighting debate has gained momentum in light of growing concerns over concussions. As the game continues to progress, there’s a school of thought that fighting might eventually be left behind.

“I don’t think it’ll change in the near future but I could definitely see it coming out of the game in the next 10, 15 years,” said Pats defenceman Brandon Underwood. “Do I think (banning it) is necessary? No. If a guy is running around taking shots at guys, he knows he’s going to have to answer the bell. In a way it kind of cleans up the game a little bit because there are going to be consequences.”

Mindful of safety concerns, the WHL has taken steps to protect its players — with and without their gloves. The latest initiative is a “seven-point plan” designed to help eliminate head shots that cause concussions. As for fighting, there are measures in place to discourage it, but the league has stopped short of banning it altogether.

“There is a legitimate concern with respect to any injuries that occur in fighting,” said WHL commissioner Ron Robison. “I think we’ve done a good job of reducing fighting that we deem to be unnecessary, multi-fight situations, staged fights, keeping your helmet on in fight situations to reduce the risk of injury. We are going to monitor any injuries that occur from fighting in the form of concussions as they occur. The numbers aren’t significant right now to warrant further change to our game but if there are increases that happen then we’ll certainly look at it.”

While agreeing that many fans still love a good tussle, Robison believes the game has evolved for the better into one that focuses more on speed and skill. As a result, “there are no more one-dimensional players in our league; they have to be contributing members of the roster.”

The true WHL “enforcer” may be nearly extinct, but his craft is alive and well. Robison is an advocate of keeping it that way — within reason.

“I think it has to be part of the flow of the game which occurs as a result of what happens on the ice,” he said. “From my past experience in international hockey, there were a lot of other things that (occurred) on the ice, a lot of stickwork, a lot of unnecessary hits and so forth that could have been eliminated by a little bit more control on the ice by the players themselves.”

Robison also pointed out that — as a developmental league — the WHL has a responsibility to prepare players for the next level.

“In fact, the expectation from the NHL as part of our agreement is that we virtually mirror their rules,” he said. “The one thing we have to determine in the future is whether it’s appropriate for our age. Right now it’s sort of a transition point in preparation for professional hockey. We feel there is a need to maintain it.”

He’ll get no argument from Pats star Jordan Weal, who noted that fighting has been a part of the game for so long it would be “almost like taking out the blue line.” Although he has never dropped his gloves in a WHL game, Weal still believes there are times when he benefits from it.

“It does keep guys honest,” he said. “If they hit someone in a dirty or vulnerable position, you can’t do that. That’s what makes hockey unique and makes it such a team sport. You can stick up for the guy beside you.”

Weal emphasized that he only endorses fighting when it serves a purpose, not through testosterone-fuelled brawls or abusing it for the sake of putting on a show.

Pat Conacher agreed.

“I believe it has a place,” said the Pats’ head coach, a former NHLer. “I’m not a staged-fighting guy. I don’t believe there’s any place for that but I think there’s still a (time) when the players have to police the game a little bit.”

The question is: Who will protect the policemen from themselves?

Regardless of how proficient they are with the gloves off or how many restrictions the league implements, injuries are inevitable when two players are exchanging punches. Stevenson has heard similar concerns from worried parents, grandparents, even coaches, but not enough to change the way he plays.

“Maybe after the game a few times I say to myself, ‘What if I got hurt? My career could be over,’ ” he said. “But when you’re on the ice you don’t think about that. You think about doing your job and winning that fight.”

Although some might question the wisdom of the fighter’s mentality, the players who live it maintain that no one is forcing them to drop the gloves.

“They say they want to take fighting out of the game but everybody has a choice to fight,” noted Underwood. “I see stars once in a while but it’s something you just know going into it that there’s a chance you’re going to get punched. If you go in scared to be hurt I think you’re more prone to being hurt.”

Elynuik subscribes to the same theory, noting that he has been in over 20 scraps as a WHLer, with no concussions.

“Concussions happen more with hits than fights,” he said. “There has to be a little bit more respect. Head shots, something has to change there.”

The WHL has attempted to address those concerns with new rules that ban concussion-inducing blows — except the ones that occur from fists. That’s fine with Pats defenceman Artem Bidlevskii, who suffered a concussion in a fight early this season and missed a little over a week. It didn’t stop him from dropping the gloves again six games later.

“It’s an important part of the game; it keeps the integrity of the game alive,” he said. “I worry a bit that it might go away but I don’t see that happening in the near future.”

Bidlevskii added that he believes the whole fighting/concussion debate has been overblown by the media. However, he does acknowledge the necessity to be cautious and try to look at the big picture.

“I know the danger every time I drop the gloves,” he said. “Everyone has a long life to live and there’s life outside of hockey so you have to protect yourself first. We still don’t know enough about head injuries to have a clear vision of the future. The onus is always on the players to be honest with the doctors to make sure you’re OK. Missing one or two extra games is not worth being injured for the rest of your life.”

gharder@leaderpost.com

Default Additional Story

Headshots and Hockey: Tragedies won’t deter fighters

REGINA — Brandon Underwood isn’t interested in playing ‘connect the dots’ with other peoples’ lives, much less their deaths.

The Regina Pats’ defenceman has heard all the speculation about the unexpected deaths this past summer of NHL tough guys Rick Rypien, Derek Boogaard and Wade Belak — all former WHLers with ties to Saskatchewan.

Although those tragedies hit close to home for Underwood, he insists there was only a brief period of reflection about his own corresponding career path and chosen livelihood.

“(It crossed his mind) a little bit but I try not to read too much into it,” said the hard-nosed WHL blueliner, who has fought 28 times over the past four seasons. “They all had their off-ice things they had to deal with. I don’t really like it when (people) talk about them being fighters because it’s not about being a fighter it’s about dealing with depression and concussions. That’s what they should be worried about.”

Boogaard’s struggles were largely unknown prior to May 13, when he lost his life to an accidental overdose after mixing alcohol and a non-prescription painkiller. The Regina product died one day after returning home from a stint in drug rehab and five months after sustaining a season-ending concussion.

Boogaard’s passing had barely registered when Rypien and Belak followed him in shocking and rapid succession during the month of August. Their deaths — coming just 16 days apart — cast yet another dark shadow over the hockey world while at the same time revealing some of the deep dark secrets associated with depression and suicide.

Although each individual player was presumably dealing with his own unique demons, the names of Boogaard, Rypien or Belak are rarely mentioned in the absence of the others, eternally linked by the manner in which they lived and died.

“I have thought about it,” admitted Prince George Cougars tough guy Campbell Elynuik, a native of Saskatoon whose father Pat is a former NHL sniper. “(You wonder), ‘Why is it enforcers in the NHL that it’s happening to?’ I don’t know what it is, if it’s from getting hit so many times. I don’t know what makes them take that path.”

Still, Elynuik said the tragedies aren’t enough to make him reconsider his own career path — or, more specifically, the way he plays the game. The same goes for scrappy Pats forward Dyson Stevenson, who is proud to pattern his game after Rypien, a beloved former captain in Regina.

“When Rypien died and those (other) guys, everyone knew the role they played and how many fights they’ve got into,” said Stevenson, who fought 10 times last season in his rookie WHL campaign. “I thought about it lots but I kind of want to be like a Rick Rypien. It’s sad to hear what happened to him but that’s my role. I want to go out and play like him — and play for him. It does cross my mind once in a while but it’s not going to affect my play.”

gharder@leaderpost.com