Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: WHL trade bait for deadline

Iconwhl WHL trade bait for deadline

This is always a fun time of the year for us fans on WHLFANS looking around the league at teams who may be selling & the key assets that they have.

Looking at teams who will be selling is easy:
    Everett
    Prince George
    Lethbridge

teams on the bubble of standing pat or selling would be:
    Seattle
    Victoria (given up the most goals 181 next closest is 26 less)
    Prince Albert (has caught fire as of recent)

20yr olds who could be up for grabs

Owsley- Not sure if any team out there would be willing to change up there 20yr old situation for a solid 20yr old goalie but he could be an upgrade for many teams, im surprised RD didnt make a pitch for him (or maybe they did) instead of getting Dubyk (which may be very temporary as well)

Birkholz- Has already matched his point totals from last year on a very weak team in Everett, has scored 14 goals had 18 all of last year. Would be a big upgrade of 20yr olds for any team out there.

Braes- He would be the prize to get from any 20yr old who may be availble this year, Braes is a true talent already has 20goals this year, last season put up 61pts (31goals)

Fyten- Not sure how much longer he is out for with his injury & if he is even expected back, he is a big body that can put up points. He would be considered maybe abit of a risk to add but would be well worth it if he makes a full recovery.

Sutter- A big body that is hard to over look when entering the playoffs, has some good hands as well with his 15goals this year already. I personally think he would fit into the make of the Warriors team build the best who do have an open slot with 20yr olds but they are prob more looking at a guy like Braes or Gallimore.

Gallimore- Has some explosiveness in his tank had 70pts last year can put up points when he has players around him, could be a darkhorse pick up.

Maylan- A pure offensive threat is on a Raiders team that is slowly starting to come around abit, if PA trades anyone off there roster it would be Maylan im sure i think he would be a great fit in RD is a HUGE upgrade over Cowan.

19yr olds where the talent is deep........

Weal- The highest scoring active player in the WHL with 323pts in 248games any team that lands him (if Lang moves him) becomes a legit contender for the WHL title. He is that guy that will put any team over the top.

Bulmer- I still dont know how he didnt make Team Canada, he would of been a perfect guy to play a 3rd or 4th line role a power forward type player with a high end skill level. He hits like a truck & has great speed & hands. This is the 1st year in his career where he sits as a plus player.

Pickard- He is the only thing keeping Seattle in games & keeping them in the playoff picture out West, i could see a team like Brandon making a serious pitch for Pickard, Brandon can score but cant keep the puck out of their net either with the 2 lugs between the pipes there. Any team who adds Pickard becomes a serious WHL contender.

Sundher- Blazing speed would love to see him & Howden race to see who truely is the fastest player in the WHL as i feel it is 1 of these 2 players. Has a scoring touch as well like Howden gets his scoring chances from his speed will never score 40 goals but can add an element to a roster that can help push them into a 2nd round playoff matchup im sure. Not sure if he is signed by Buffalo yet but he could be a guy that returns as a 20yr old next season could be a good fit in Saskatoon imo.

Crooks- Like Sundher plays on the Royals who are hands down the worst defensive team in the WHL giving up 181 goals, the Royals have six 19yr olds on there team & depending on who they see as part of there team next year Crooks could bring back a decent pick & prospect/roster player, i would love to see the Pats try to get this guy if they keep Weal, he would be a lock as a 20yr old next season forsure.

Inglis- Would be a risk for any team that gets him but it could pay off too, I personally feel that Inglis off ice actions was just his way of getting his ticket out of PG, he was not a problem last year for the Cougars & is a point/game type player who is not afraid to hit or drop the mits with anyone in this league. The price tag i dont think would be too high especially the longer it drags out im sure there could be some conditional terms added into a trade for Inglis.

Gallagher- There was reports early in December that the Giants may move Gallagher, i really dont see it now as they sit 2nd in the BC Division, Hay always gets the most out of his players which makes him 1 of the best all time coaches in the WHL so who knows Hay may be ok with moving him to set themselves up for the next 4 to 5 yrs with an already very strong hockey program. I dont see it happening though.

Petrovic- With the Rebels sprialling out of control downwards due to injuries do the Rebels maybe look at moving Petrovic to strengthen the prospects? With the big blow to the Rebels by Hopkins staying in EDM this year & the chance of losing Dumba next year as well to the NHL is this a move the Rebels must take a serious look at? The Rebels play 5 more games 4 against teams much higher then them in the standings & then the Broncos (who they are in the Rebels view of leaping them in the standings) before the trade deadline those games could be veyr key to determine what may happen with Petrovic.

This is a list i have came up with anyone else want to add to it please do love this time of the year going into xmas break looking to see who are legit & who are just pretenders.

I would consider Lethbridge a "bubble" team now as the are ahead of PA and probably even hotter as of late.IMO Lethbridge management/coaches feel they can still make the playoffs.
    I would also include Damian Ketlo on you list of 20's as he is the single biggest reason for the turnaround in Lethbridge. The way he's playing right now he could easily steal a round or two in the playoffs.

Fyten is not coming back, he's done for the year. I also don't think the canes will be too quick to sell as they are only eight points out of the playoffs and they have won 11 of their past 15 games heading into the Christmas break.

I think over the break teams from 5 to 9 in each conference will be looking at their roster & schedule up to the deadline to decide if they are buyers or sellers . How deep do you go with what you have ? Is the cost to upgrade as a buyer worth it. Could you do more for your team long term by selling assets. For example BRN keeping the puck out of their net is a problem but its not just goaltending so do you go get a goalie (where/how good ) and maybe a d-man or do you move Stone looking forward as he would bring good assets.
    Regina /Vic do you keep your one or two movable assets to make the play offs hoping at best for a first round upset and making your fans happy.MJ may need to pick up another experienced scoring forward like a Bulmer Braes Crooks . It will no doubt be interesting . Goaltending will be the key imo
    Last edited by mjw22; 12-18-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    GO WARRIORS GO

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I would consider Lethbridge a "bubble" team now as the are ahead of PA and probably even hotter as of late.IMO Lethbridge management/coaches feel they can still make the playoffs.
    I would also include Damian Ketlo on you list of 20's as he is the single biggest reason for the turnaround in Lethbridge. The way he's playing right now he could easily steal a round or two in the playoffs.
    Lethbridge will become sellers IMO. PA should definitely be sellers but won't because the powers there indulge in magical thinking. Victoria should move Sundher and he would be a huge piece to the puzzle for a contending team and will be back next year so should bring a very nice package of prospects and draft picks. Brandon needs goaltending more than any team in the history of shinny ... a trade will happen but at what cost ... maybe a 2nd rounder and Swyripa, steep price but ...
    Red Deer will look different come the end of January and I am thinking a judicious but small rebuild, not major surgery, they are still thinking playoffs, but maybe need a goalie and for sure one power forward.

The Blades need a lot of things...

1. Backup goaltender (There's no way Makarov should have to play practically all the games after he get's back which would be likely if Todd is still around)

2. Better defense, their to damn slow except for Thrower. Keep on getting beat

3. Forwards that can score and stay on their feet.

4. More guys like Zajac who plays hard no matter how bad the team is losing.

I don't think anyone should be safe on the team rite now. I think for the right price, everyone should be game except Makarov, Thrower, Zajac

Warriors will be looking to fill a 20 yr old spot as it looks like Wells has little interest in staying in dub according to MJ's GM . Vause or Hoban in SC could be available as they will probably be in the sellers category.
    GO WARRIORS GO

I have been told that MJ has had a brief discussion regarding a dman. Preliminary only, just kicking the tires.

I am sure that MJ would love Davidson or Jobke, but the price might be too high.

Realistically, I would think that Blidstrand would be more obtainable. I believe that MJ has a Euro spot open and the price would most likely be a draft pick (maybe 4th or 5th round).

I would also add Kent Simpson (Silvertips) to the list of potential trade bait. Especially if the price for Pickard is too high for buyers.

It sounds like Everett's goaltending situation is set for a few years, in terms of prospects.
    Redwic

From a Saskatoon Blades point of view, they will be looking for a player(s) who will not only help them a bit for this year but more so for next year. A couple players come to mind:

PG - Jesse Forsberg - Just what the Blades need as he is a 18 yr old this year who is local and has toughness and leadership. He does have ability to put up some points but would be used more in a shut down roll this year and next!

VIC - Kevin Sundher - A skilled, speedy center who would compliment Josh Nicholls as a pair of 20 year olds on the top line next year. A couple things though - not sure how much Sundher would cost and also there is a chance both he and Nicholls wouldn't be back as 20's. I'm sure a Mem Cup cost team such as the Blades could sway the decision on his return or they would make sure with Buffalo prior to the deal.

There are more that have a far less chance of coming but the big talk is Mark Mcneill or Ryan Murray. Those would likely have to wait until next year. A back-up goalie and a scoring winger are also needed for next year.