Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: WK lineup

Default Scotty Bowman

Quote Originally Posted by drummermajor View Post
    The team's not playing up to it's potential, but this isn't anywhere near the trouble they had last year. I'm concerned, but not willing to press panic yet. (just realized that it's their 10th in 15....worse than I thought)

On the topic of CC. I don't want it to be read into too much, but my spouse overheard a number of the players at the Westend rink complaining about Clouston and the last minute practice. They were very unimpressed with having that thrown at them on their day off. I wasn't there, so I couldn't hear whether the tone implied that it was 'one more thing' to complain about or just a bunch of teenagers whining. All I know it was apparent enough to spectators that they weren't impressed with him at that moment in time.
    They hated him too, but once they realized what he had to offer, he made guys into winners. Now, by no means, am I saying Clouston is in the same league as Bowman, but the inmates have run the asylum in that room for so long that now they are maybe wondering where all these rules came from all of a sudden. McCrimmon was not so much a players coach. He just let the stars do whatever they wanted. You have guys on that team like Melnychuk who think they're stars and after 5 years he still hasn't learned to skate backwards properly. They need to start realizing that almost is not gonna cut it.

If they wanna gripe about a practice like that after they stunk the place out in Saskatoon, let them complain. Now they get to see what it truly means to sink or swim.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wheatiemaniac View Post
    They hated him too, but once they realized what he had to offer, he made guys into winners. Now, by no means, am I saying Clouston is in the same league as Bowman, but the inmates have run the asylum in that room for so long that now they are maybe wondering where all these rules came from all of a sudden. McCrimmon was not so much a players coach. He just let the stars do whatever they wanted. You have guys on that team like Melnychuk who think they're stars and after 5 years he still hasn't learned to skate backwards properly. They need to start realizing that almost is not gonna cut it.

If they wanna gripe about a practice like that after they stunk the place out in Saskatoon, let them complain. Now they get to see what it truly means to sink or swim.
    What the heck does all this mean? This thought is like watching a ball run it's course through a Plinko Machine! Clouston and Bowmen in the same sentcnce, Players ruling over Kelly, all what "new rules"??? Melny part i get.

Default If you didn't understand, then....

Quote Originally Posted by WHLFANMAN View Post
    What the heck does all this mean? This thought is like watching a ball run it's course through a Plinko Machine! Clouston and Bowmen in the same sentcnce, Players ruling over Kelly, all what "new rules"??? Melny part i get.
    you obviously didn't read it close enough. I will reiterate. I'm not saying Clouston is in the same class as Scotty Bowman. But McCrimmon had his favorites and everyone saw it. Do you not remember the much maligned incident involving Scott Glennie and Jesse Hall during Mem Cup year? The story was about Glennie smashing a VLT machine and missing curfew with Hall in tow. Hall got sent home, because Hall wasn't a star.....Glennie didn't get anything. And lots more happenings over the years. Kelly is where he needs to be to run this team effectively. Clouston is in the process of making men out of boys. He's obviously far from being done.

you obviously didn't read it close enough. I will reiterate. I'm not saying Clouston is in the same class as Scotty Bowman. But McCrimmon had his favorites and everyone saw it. Do you not remember the much maligned incident involving Scott Glennie and Jesse Hall during Mem Cup year? The story was about Glennie smashing a VLT machine and missing curfew with Hall in tow. Hall got sent home, because Hall wasn't a star.....Glennie didn't get anything. And lots more happenings over the years. Kelly is where he needs to be to run this team effectively. Clouston is in the process of making men out of boys. He's obviously far from being done.
    Wheatiemaniac, you are way off base on this one. KM has/had a history of winning in WK country, CC has/does not. The old Bowman style coach has run its course and doesn't fly with today's players. If you want to win, you better get along with your stars, or you're screwed. CC had the same problem in Ottawa, and has lost the dressing room and the respect he needs to be successful here. Being an aloof bully does not get results today. Don Hay is probably the only coach that has the chops and history to be able to do an imitation of Bowman. The only success CC has had was when he was with the Ice and the best GM in major junior hockey. And all reports suggest the players were successful in spite of Clouston. Bet ya three smacks in the head with a wet kipper that CC is an assistant video man in the ECHL or AHL next year. He won't be back behind the WK bench.

Default That I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by dubfanman View Post
    Wheatiemaniac, you are way off base on this one. KM has/had a history of winning in WK country, CC has/does not. The old Bowman style coach has run its course and doesn't fly with today's players. If you want to win, you better get along with your stars, or you're screwed. CC had the same problem in Ottawa, and has lost the dressing room and the respect he needs to be successful here. Being an aloof bully does not get results today. Don Hay is probably the only coach that has the chops and history to be able to do an imitation of Bowman. The only success CC has had was when he was with the Ice and the best GM in major junior hockey. And all reports suggest the players were successful in spite of Clouston. Bet ya three smacks in the head with a wet kipper that CC is an assistant video man in the ECHL or AHL next year. He won't be back behind the WK bench.
    I feel he is a good hockey man, but I will agree with you, the way things are going, he may very well take a spot anywhere and move on next season if things don't change.

I do agree with keeping players happy, butyou can't let them think they're in charge. In life there leaders and followers. The coach is the leader, and alot of players get the idea that because they have a bit of skill, they should be treated differently.

But if he leaves, then what? Is Chewy the next HC in Brandon?

But if he leaves, then what? Is Chewy the next HC in Brandon?
    Chewy has certainly paid his dues and I wouldn't at all object to him taking over. He seems like a hell of a guy as well and I bet the players would play hard for him.
    "You can't always win, but you can always feel like you deserve to"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEATMAN View Post
    Chewy has certainly paid his dues and I wouldn't at all object to him taking over. He seems like a hell of a guy as well and I bet the players would play hard for him.
    Perfect!

Guess you could say the Wheaties were due tonight holy moly

Default Blowout.....

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    Guess you could say the Wheaties were due tonight holy moly
    there wasn't even one player that got all the points tonight. It was very balanced, but that third period was unreal. Quite a wakeup call considering how things have gone lately. I'm very impressed that the boys answered the bell tonight to show people that we're not dead.

Default Granted, he's been here a long time.....

Quote Originally Posted by WHEATMAN View Post
    I guess we'll just have to see how it shakes down.