Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Year, Same Old

Post New Year, Same Old

By Doyle Potenteau

The Kelowna Rockets rang in the New Year by ringing up another disappointing loss.

Brooks Macek scored early for Calgary, goalie Chris Driedger had an efficient outing, and the Hitmen blanked the Rockets 2-0 in WHL action on Sunday afternoon at Prospera Place. The loss was Kelowna‘s third in a row, with the Rockets having been outscored 11-2 in that span.

While that‘s certainly a concerning statistic, what made Sunday‘s result disappointing wasn‘t the final score. Rather, it was how, during the third period with victory still possible, Calgary elevated its game while Kelowna didn‘t.

"If you look at the first period, we generated 15 shots, and I liked that part," said Rockets acting head coach Dan Lambert. "They had 17 shots, but they also had a long 5-on-3 power play and a couple of other power plays as well. The only thing I didn‘t like about our first period is that we didn‘t generate enough traffic in front of the net.

"We made it too easy for their goaltender, and with a goalie like that, you have to have traffic in front of him. You‘re not going to beat him with clean shots from the point or from the half-wall. So that was an area I thought we needed to be better in the first.

"Then, after that, I thought... I don‘t know what it was; our effort wasn‘t quite the same. Once they (got up 2-0), it was like ‘Oh well, here we go again‘ and feeling sorry for ourselves. It‘s not good enough. We need our older guys to step it up, we need our power play to step it up and be better."

Alex Gogolev, late in the second period, also scored for Calgary (19-16-2-1), which led 1-0 and 2-0 at the period breaks. Driedger made 27 saves for the Hitmen, who are now 2-1 on a five-game B.C. road trip, including a 6-3 win over Kamloops on Friday.

Jordon Cooke made 33 saves for Kelowna (14-19-2-3), which suffered its second shutout loss of the season.

"It‘s definitely a tough moment for us," said Cooke, who was, by far, Kelowna‘s best player. "We‘re trying to keep our game simple, try to funnel shots from anywhere, but that was our problem: We didn‘t get enough shots and it showed on the scoreboard."

Asked what it‘s going to take for Kelowna to turn the corner on its inconsistencies, Cooke gave a simple answer: "We‘re going to have to start playing as a team. There‘s moments where we want to do it ourselves and it‘s not working for us right now."

At the other end, Driedger was all smiles after earning his first WHL shutout. And he did so without having to make a flashy save in gobbling up shot after shot while also keeping rebounds to an absolute minimum.

"Our defence played a fantastic game and that made it easy for me," stated Driedger, a 6-foot-2, 17-year-old from Winnipeg who‘s in his second WHL season. "Getting the shutout, it feels amazing."

Driedger said the only time he felt secure in earning the shutout was with 2.3 seconds remaining in the game with a neutral-zone faceoff.

"I was looking at the scoreclock and the faceoff was outside the zone," said Driedger, who also played last season with Tri-City. "I was pretty excited, but then I forced myself to stay focused. It was tough, but I had a game earlier where I thought I had a shutout until seven minutes left, so I didn‘t want to let up."

Calgary opened the scoring early in the first period, Macek with a blistering slapshot from the high slot that clanged off the crossbar, then in. Scored 72 seconds after the opening faceoff, Macek‘s marker came after a full minute of dominating pressure by the Hitmen in the Rockets‘ zone.

"I was very happy with our start," said Calgary coach Mike Williamson. "Our guys looked focused and ready and did a lot of simple things. We were rewarded with the goal. We had a five-minute stretch in the first period where we got away from that, and Kelowna had some great chances, but Driedger was exceptional tonight. He was seeing the puck and was really tracking it well."

The game‘s second goal came late in the second following a turnover by the Rockets in their zone. Jimmy Bubnick picked off a poor pass by Kevin Smith at the left faceoff dot, then dished off to Gogolev, who then cut to the crease and scored on the backhand with 28.5 seconds remaining in the frame.

Clutch goal that it was, the game‘s turning point came in the first, when, odd as it sounds, the Rockets killed off a 5-on-3 Calgary power play. The building came alive with cheers, which shortly went silent as Kelowna failed to build any energy off its penalty-killing efforts.

The loud-turned-silent scenario was repeated minutes later when Tyrell Goulbourne got the better of former Rocket Collin Bowman in a brief fight.

"I thought (our emotion would jump) too," said Lambert. "Goulbourne steps up and fights a 20-year-old and it was a great penalty kill. Cooke was probably our best penalty killer in that situation, and you need your goalie to be, but there wasn‘t enough push after that. It seems like every time we need a push, it‘s an effort and the guys don‘t have that right now.

"Then you make one mistake - like the one at the end of the second period - and the puck is in your net again. I‘m not sure if the guys have a lot of belief in that we can come back when it‘s 2-0. And I‘m not sure why because it‘s just two shots away."

Asked if the team is lacking confidence, Lambert said it‘s fair comment.

"When you score two goals in three games, I don‘t think there‘s a lot of confidence to be had," he said. "But in saying that, it‘s no excuse. You have to keep working and working the right way."

The Hitmen did everything right on Sunday, and, if they‘re consistent with their effort, could turn heads in the Eastern Conference come playoff time.

"We really have to build on this," said Williamson, whose team sports one of the biggest blue-lines to play in Prospera Place this season. "We‘ve kind of felt this way a few times this season but haven‘t sustained it. So we have to continue to build and get better. When we work as hard as we did (Sunday), and get the contributions we did, it‘s a lot easier to play."

"It‘s always nice to come back to your hometown and get a win," added Hitmen captain and Kelowna product Cody Sylvester. "Every line on our team is playing well right now. From our first to our fourth, there‘s really no differences between them. If we keep going like this, we‘ll keep stringing wins together."

SCRATCHES - Kelowna: D Jesse Lees (World U-17 Challenge), D Madison Bowey (U-17), Tyson Baillie (U-17), D Damon Severson (upper body), C Spencer Main (concussion), Justin Kirkland and Cole Linaker. Calgary: D Spencer Humphries (upper body), C Victor Rask (WJHC, Sweden), C Greg Chase (U-17) and Josh Thrower.

http://old.kelownadailycourier.ca/stories.php?i=396964

Post Do I dare say it?

Posted by Regan Bartel

We are eight days away from the WHL trade deadline. After Sunday's 2-0 loss to the Calgary Hitmen, it is hard for me not to suggest that changes in personnel need to be made to this year's edition of the Kelowna Rockets. My hope was a smidgen of momentum was gained after a fairly successful Eastern Conference road swing before Christmas, but any positive feelings from those six games appear to be lost. Against the Hitmen Sunday afternoon, the Rockets wilted when the game was still within reach. Despite being down 2-0 with a full 20 minutes to be played, where was the urgency? Where were the top end players when an early third period goal could have turned the tide and gotten the fans back in the game? It wasn't there. The game breaking players are in place, but is the will to succeed? That's the most disappointing aspect of Sunday's effort. If you can't accomplish the small feat of erasing a 2-0 deficit with your top end players, is it better to send out your younger players, who may not have the polish of the older veteran, but are willing to work to the greater good of the team?

Sunday's contest was winnable. The Hitmen deserve credit for ramping up their game in the third period, but the Rockets had little push back. The line of Bubnick, Sylvester and Gogolev took over in the third period, spending good portions of the final frame with sustained pressure inside the offensive zone. Why? They simply outworked the Rockets. Is it any coincidence that all three of those players are 20 and 19 respectively? Those older players led the charge and Gogolev, who is also 19, looked like a viking with no fear as he followed the lead of his line mates. It was impressive to watch if you are a Hitmen fan, yet concerning if you are a follower of the home team.

Even when the Rockets were granted a late power play when the score was 2-0, the Rockets methodically moved the puck around in an attempt for a shot on goal. Goaltender Jordon Cooke was pulled for the extra attacker, yet the Rockets generated few scary chances. Maybe the belief to score isn't there right now? Or is it the want? With only two goals in their last three games, you have to wonder.

Jordon Cooke was a bright spot in the Rockets 19th loss of the season. The 18 year-old goaltender appeared to fight the puck early but was one of the main reasons they were in a position to rally in the third period despite being down 2-0. Cooke could have been given the first star in the building but was edged out by Hitmen goaltender Chris Driedger, who was solid in the shutout victory. Driedger's effort was made easy as the Rockets were neither willing to get traffic in front of him or secondary shots.

Tyrell Goulbourne, Mitchell Chapman and Colton Heffley all returned to the lineup. Goulbourne made the biggest noise on his return after getting into a scrap with 20 year-old Collin Bowman. Goulbourne clearly won the fight, despite being three years younger than the veteran d-man. Despite a fired up Goulbourne, the inspired effort had little impact on his teammates, who generated just 12 shots through the final 40 minutes of the game.

Only Prince George ( 11) and Everett (12) have lost more times on home ice in the Western Conference than the Rockets (10) this season.

This team has just three games before the trade deadline to show that the post Christmas struggles are just another dip on what has been a roller coaster ride this season. Spokane pays a visit Wednesday followed by pivotal back-to-back games against Victoria this Friday and Saturday night. The Rockets lead the Royals by just three points for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/2012...re-say-it.html

Default Bulmer

Is Bulmer on the block?

Yes Wheatiemaniac seems to think his team who is going NOWHERE this year is going to add all these big names. Once again NOTHING of value you have yet to post kid. It's about quality not quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaget View Post
    Yes Wheatiemaniac seems to think his team who is going NOWHERE this year is going to add all these big names. Once again NOTHING of value you have yet to post kid. It's about quality not quantity.
    and you say I don't have a life? I've contacted a few Mods on here about you. You best watch your step. Talk about having nothing of value to say.

Default As I was asking....

Is it true Bulmer is on the market, or not? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wheatiemaniac View Post
    and you say I don't have a life? I've contacted a few Mods on here about you. You best watch your step. Talk about having nothing of value to say.
    Careful bobsaget he tattling on you lol chill out maniac when you're all over the board expect a few shots. No WK deals getting ya cranky
    GO WARRIORS GO

Quote Originally Posted by The Wheatiemaniac View Post
    Watch your step hahahahaha precious. Maniac going on every board BRANDON GONNA TRADE YET?? BRANDON GONNA TRADE YET? BRANDON GONNA TRADE YET??? Someone tell Kelly Mac to listen to Maniac and make random trades without a reason just to shut him up???

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaget View Post
    Watch your step hahahahaha precious. Maniac going on every board BRANDON GONNA TRADE YET?? BRANDON GONNA TRADE YET? BRANDON GONNA TRADE YET??? Someone tell Kelly Mac to listen to Maniac and make random trades without a reason just to shut him up???
    good one I wouldn't mind seeing Bulmer in MJ if he was available.
    GO WARRIORS GO

Default Well....

Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    good one I wouldn't mind seeing Bulmer in MJ if he was available.
    you could use some scoring depth if this is indeed your year. Maybe he's your guy to put with Howden.