Thread: Dylan Walchuk

Iconcup Dylan Walchuk

From SpokaneChiefs.com......

January 10, 2012

CHIEFS ADD WALCHUK TO ROSTER

The Spokane Chiefs have announced the addition of 19-year-old center Dylan Walchuk to their roster. The British Columbia native was originally added to the Chiefs 50-player protected list in December, 2008.

Last season Walchuk led the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League in points with 56, including 24 goals and 32 assists. He added another 13 goals and 20 points in 24 playoff games as Vernon finished as a runner-up in the Royal Bank Cup Championship, the Canadian Junior A National Title, one year after winning it. As a 17-year-old in 2009-10, Walchuk had 19 goals and 47 points in 56 games and was a member of the Vipers' 2010 Royal Bank Cup Championship.

"Dylan is a very competitive and complete player," Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. "We are excited that he has chosen this route to fulfill his goal to become a professional hockey player. His skill and determination will complement our group of forwards."

The addition puts the Chiefs roster at 24 players; two goaltenders, eight defenseman and 14 forwards. Tuesday also acted as the final day that WHL teams could make transactions.

Walchuk will join the Chiefs after splitting time this season at Northern Michigan University and Vernon. In 19 games at Northern Michigan he had two goals and eight points and in six games in Vernon he scored one goal and six points.

Walchuk will arrive in Spokane this week but it is undetermined as to when he will play his first game. Spokane hosts the Everett Silvertips for the final time this season on Wednesday night. It is the first of four games in six nights as Spokane travels to Everett on Friday, hosts Tri-City Saturday and Seattle on Monday at a special 2:00 p.m. start.

I've been hoping to see this kid in a Chiefs jersey for 4 years now. I'm glad to see he finally came to his senses.

In all seriousness as long as the Chiefs didn't go into rebuild mode this year I'm glad to see they were able to add a decent player, especially someone who cost the Chiefs nothing. Welcome to the Chiefs Dylan! Spokane is looking forward to watching you play.

Quote Originally Posted by LifelongChiefsFan View Post
    I've been hoping to see this kid in a Chiefs jersey for 4 years now. I'm glad to see he finally came to his senses.

In all seriousness as long as the Chiefs didn't go into rebuild mode this year I'm glad to see they were able to add a decent player, especially someone who cost the Chiefs nothing. Welcome to the Chiefs Dylan! Spokane is looking forward to watching you play.
    What can you tell us about this kid LLCF? Seems like an exciting player but it sounds like you may know a bit about him.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefaholic View Post
    What can you tell us about this kid LLCF? Seems like an exciting player but it sounds like you may know a bit about him.
    I caught a couple games from a few years back when he played for the Nelson Leafs and I was impressed, but keep in mind that this was awhile ago so some of the information could be outdated. Kid's speedy, not quite like Tyler Johnson but he has wheels. I thought he had great work ethic in all 3 zones which is something that Don should like. He forechecks aggressively and is good at forcing turnovers. He has an accurate (I'd almost call it deceptive) shot and good vision on the ice. He knows when to try and snipe it and when to shoot into the pads for a rebound and he's very adept at finding vacant spots on the ice. However, he does have a small body and although these games were a few years ago, from what I've read he really hasn't grown much in size. He can definitely get overpowered by bigger defenseman and he doesn't play much of a physical game. At least I never saw it from him. But he is smart and he is talented and he seems to be able to mesh with whomever his line mates are. I think he'll be able to put up roughly a point per game over the rest of the season here in Spokane. I'm very interested to see who Don puts as his wingers, but I think a line with Walchuk, Dom and Marek would be very potent while also being responsible defensively. I could also see guys like Holmberg or Fiddler on his line as well. It should be interesting to see who he gets paired with.

Quote Originally Posted by LifelongChiefsFan View Post
    I caught a couple games from a few years back when he played for the Nelson Leafs and I was impressed, but keep in mind that this was awhile ago so some of the information could be outdated. Kid's speedy, not quite like Tyler Johnson but he has wheels. I thought he had great work ethic in all 3 zones which is something that Don should like. He forechecks aggressively and is good at forcing turnovers. He has an accurate (I'd almost call it deceptive) shot and good vision on the ice. He knows when to try and snipe it and when to shoot into the pads for a rebound and he's very adept at finding vacant spots on the ice. However, he does have a small body and although these games were a few years ago, from what I've read he really hasn't grown much in size. He can definitely get overpowered by bigger defenseman and he doesn't play much of a physical game. At least I never saw it from him. But he is smart and he is talented and he seems to be able to mesh with whomever his line mates are. I think he'll be able to put up roughly a point per game over the rest of the season here in Spokane. I'm very interested to see who Don puts as his wingers, but I think a line with Walchuk, Dom and Marek would be very potent while also being responsible defensively. I could also see guys like Holmberg or Fiddler on his line as well. It should be interesting to see who he gets paired with.
    Thanks for the info , I appreciate it. Sounds like a fun player to watch and someone who should make an impact right away. I look forward to seeing what he can do out there. Should be interesting.

Iconwhl

He scored his 1st career WHL goal tonite too in EVT

Also on a side note really nice to see Fiddler finding the score sheet is already has 9pts in 7games with the Cheifs & had 10pts in 35games with the Raiders... This kid is a talented player did he just run into maybe being in the doghouse on the Raiders & wasnt getting the quality minutes that he needed to produce?

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    He scored his 1st career WHL goal tonite too in EVT

Also on a side note really nice to see Fiddler finding the score sheet is already has 9pts in 7games with the Cheifs & had 10pts in 35games with the Raiders... This kid is a talented player did he just run into maybe being in the doghouse on the Raiders & wasnt getting the quality minutes that he needed to produce?

PA is where players go to die.

Iconwhl

i couldnt agree more... PA used to have a winning tradition but in the last 10yrs or so they have became the laughing stock of the WHL along with PG... i could see PA moving to WPG within 5yrs