Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Americans consider ban on fighting in junior ranks, hope Canada follows suit

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
    So it is just pure coincidence that you for some reason care this much about the semantics with something like a fight? To complain about these minute details is similar to enjoying a cookie you ate until you find out there was peanut butter in it. Nothing personal but to me, this sort of stance just seems pre-ordained, misplaced or programmed.

Whether a fight is spontaneous or not, a fight is still a fight. They still use fists, and the punches still hurt. The rules of hockey are almost like nature. You dont **** with nature, and when you take something out of an eco system, the whole thing collapses.

I mean, just look at what they are doing now, and then look at the terrible state the game is in.

Look, I dont expect you to completely understand, and fyi that isnt just aimed at you. Maybe its from watching fights from a fan's numbing standpoint too long...but in a game, seeing somebody you know(in this instance, a teammate you would see every day) in an intense fight will fire you up, especially against the biggest guy on the other team.

As a player, you dont really get desensitized from that like you would a fan, especially with all the emphasis and intensity that goes into preparing for every game all season, nevermind actually playing. Fans dont prepare for games, and they dont treat them the same. Id even go as far to say that fights are more for the players than the fans.

If Konopka or Carkner were to get in a big fight with Orr, I dont see how a moderately clean player like Spezza would get worried about getting hurt...unless he was going to do something dirty. Something like that type of fight establishes game precedents, and lays down the law. It keeps guys who play on the edge honest, and it POLICES the flow of the game. At the same time, physicality(the right kind) becomes contagious after players get fired up from a physical bashing.

And for the record, cut the UFC **** out. It has quickly become the mating call of the anti fighting cretins, and frankly it is flat out stupid to compare, since they are completely different from enforcer fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
    I live in the real world. And yourself?

99% is a pretty high number and quite a stretch to boot. Either way I never said hockey fans buy tickets solely to see a fight. I know some do but a majority of fans do not. That being said I certainly haven't seen any fan feel robbed of their money after watching a game with a scrap or two. The anticipation of a hard nosed passionate game with the potential for things to get feisty and intense is what drives a lot of fans to want to go to games. And what typically happens in games like that? Oh yes, a scrap or two. If you don't think the possibility of a fight (regardless if it's a heat of the moment fight or as you would say "two goons going at it") doesn't have any influence on whether people buy tickets or not you are absolutely clueless.

Fighting does sell. It may not be politically correct but it's the truth.
    lol until the instigator rule is removed it does not police the game. My involvement and knowledge of the game has been extensive as a fan a participant and a coach . So unless you know me you two saying I'm clueless or questioning my knowledge means as much as Colton Orr or his kind's contribution to the game of hockey. Nothing .
    GO WARRIORS GO

Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    lol until the instigator rule is removed it does not police the game. My involvement and knowledge of the game has been extensive as a fan a participant and a coach . So unless you know me you two saying I'm clueless or questioning my knowledge means as much as Colton Orr or his kind's contribution to the game of hockey. Nothing .
    You are clueless. All you have to do is read some of the rubbish you post. It speaks for itself.

Anyway the instigator rule should be removed but it won't be. And the game will continue to suffer because of that.

everybody can say they are scotty bowman on the internet. its a matter of making sense, and frankly you dont alot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
    You are clueless. All you have to do is read some of the rubbish you post. It speaks for itself.

Anyway the instigator rule should be removed but it won't be. And the game will continue to suffer because of that.
    from the internet authority on goon hockey and toughness well I am intimidated.
    GO WARRIORS GO

from the internet authority on goon hockey and toughness well I am intimidated.
    Well you shouldn't be. I mean "goons" are useless and bring nothing to the table right?

everybody can say they are scotty bowman on the internet. its a matter of making sense, and frankly you dont alot of the time.
    ya right lol the point is fighting is a part of hockey and should be . the slow footed knuckle draggers some on here call "hockey " players do not. It's that simple . Lucic I typed this really slow hoping it may help you understand it.
    GO WARRIORS GO

ya right lol the point is fighting is a part of hockey and should be . the slow footed knuckle draggers some on here call "hockey " players do not. It's that simple . Lucic I typed this really slow hoping it may help you understand it.
    I can't understand most of the garbage you spew regardless. It lacks substance and significance.

Iconwhl

If Konopka or Carkner were to get in a big fight with Orr, I dont see how a moderately clean player like Spezza would get worried about getting hurt...unless he was going to do something dirty. Something like that type of fight establishes game precedents, and lays down the law. It keeps guys who play on the edge honest, and it POLICES the flow of the game. At the same time, physicality(the right kind) becomes contagious after players get fired up from a physical bashing.

those type of guys fighting each other does not lay down the law or polices the flow of the game at all, those type of guys play 3 to 6 mins a game (more so closer to 3) & have ZERO impact on the game at all.

Also for starters i never once said take out goon fighting i said along the lines of... goons are becoming less frequent in the WHL & even to some degree in the NHL as well, these types of players are slowly being forced out of the game due to there lack of skill & skating abilities... i love fights just like the next guy i just find it pointless for goon to fight goon it has zero effect on the game.

...if they have zero impact on the game, then why are they on the team?

Do you really think a guy like David Branch will just stop at taking out goons? He has said publically many times that he wants fighting gone, and I still maintain that this is just step one. Though you really know how people feel about it when even the officials let things slide(examples being the fact they dont really enforce that removal of helmut rule, or the rule against fights right off of faceoffs.)