Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Americans consider ban on fighting in junior ranks, hope Canada follows suit

Post Americans consider ban on fighting in junior ranks, hope Canada follows suit

Americans consider ban on fighting in junior ranks, hope Canada follows suit
    allan maki
    From Friday's Globe and Mail
    Published Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012 10:02PM EST
    Last updated Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012 10:03PM EST

USA Hockey is looking to ban fighting from its junior ranks and is hoping Canadian hockey does the same.

At its recent winter meetings, USA Hockey recommended that fighting be eliminated at the Tier I, II and III levels. The proposal, which will go to a formal vote in June and could be implemented for the 2012-13 season, calls for National Collegiate Athletic Association-style sanctions to penalize fights. (In the NCAA, a player who fights receives a game misconduct and must sit out the next game, too. There are increased suspensions for every additional fight a player has.)

USA Hockey also asked that Canada work to ban fighting, too. The rationale is that player safety is paramount and that blows to the head from fighting could cause brain injuries in young players and result in lawsuits.

Jim Johannson, USA Hockey’s assistant executive director of hockey operations, said “everything that’s been going on in the game – player safety, the number of injuries and where fighting fits into that” was the impetus for taking a tougher stand on fighting.

“Whatever we do there’ll be a fight in junior hockey next season,” Johannson said. “But if kids are in this level of hockey and fighting x amount of times, then what’s going on? We have a responsibility to safeguard the game at the minor levels. This is not the NHL, and that’s not a criticism of the NHL. These are kids under 20 playing hockey.”

Canadian hockey officials are willing to discuss the fighting issue and do what’s best for the players. Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson participated in a meeting with USA Hockey during the 2012 world junior tournament in Edmonton and said Thursday: “We want to remove fighting from the game, but we don’t want to create other violent acts that may occur. We’ll work hand in hand with USA Hockey.”

Kirk Lamb, chairman of the Canadian Junior Hockey League, also took part in the world junior meeting with USA Hockey, and insisted it was important to make smart decisions, not ones with “unintended consequences.”

“Player safety involves more than just fighting,” Lamb said. “It’s about attitudes of players and coaches and making sure we adopt rules that encourage change in those attitudes. If, after considering all the information available it’s decided fighting needs to be removed, we just want to be sure that we do it in a way that doesn’t trade one type of violence for another, such as head shots or dangerous hits.”

The CJHL will soon formulate data collected from its leagues that allow a player to fight twice in the same game and compare it to leagues where only one fight is permitted. It’s that sort of hard-core analysis Canadian hockey officials are willing to share with their American counterparts.

“We’ve done some pretty good things in junior A in the last 18 months,” Lamb said of the CJHL’s disciplinary efforts to reduce fighting and violence. “We put the offer out to [USA Hockey], ‘Let’s work together.’”

Getting the Canadian Hockey League to follow USA Hockey’s no-fighting plan might not be easy. The Ontario, Quebec and Western major junior leagues are associate members of Hockey Canada and govern themselves. They’re prime feeders for the NHL and, as such, allow on-ice fights as part of a player’s professional development. Ron Robison, commissioner of the Western Hockey League, was at the world-junior meeting with USA Hockey, and Thursday he reiterated how the CHL is “partnered with the NHL and we have an understanding to mirror their rules.”

“From a WHL/CHL perspective, we feel strongly our role is to prepare players for the next level and as long as fighting is an element of that, we need to prepare the players so they can protect themselves,” Robison said, adding that fighting in the WHL is down 10 per cent compared to a year ago.

“We monitor [fighting] very closely,” he added. “I think the game is evolving to a point where there are less one-dimensional players, if any. The focus today is on speed and skill.”

USA Hockey concurred with that, but is still hoping for a significant show of support from its northern neighbours.

“They’re important stakeholders,” Johannson said of Hockey Canada, the CHL and the CJHL. “The hope for them is that all of us agree about the need to look out for the good of the sport and the players in it.”

Bunch of *****s lol
    GO WARRIORS GO

Iconwhl

I have no problems banning fighting in the Jr A ranks but this will not happen in the CHL (WHL/OHL/QMJHL)

Maybe Branch & this USA Hockey guy should talk in a room together as they are both out to lunch on the fighting part.

Hockey Canada made a very good comment that there are not as many one dimentional players anymore.

The so called TOUGH GUYS are slowly getting weeded out of the game, especially at the junior level, if there not in the junior level now as much they will slowly be out of the NHL level as well. Its just a manner of time. Speed & Skill is what the game is about now & having guys who are able to fight there own battles. There will always be kids willing to fight for the team but the goon type player is slowly fading out.

It was just maybe 5 to 7 yrs ago where every team had a goon type guy now u see a goon type maybe on every 4 or 5 teams. Out side of Beach (who can play hockey when he wants too) the Eastern Conference really doesnt have that GOON type player on the rosters. Every other guy who can fight are on the rosters cuz they can actually play hockey 1st... i wouldnt even really call Beach a goon type player either he is an agitator who will drop the mits at any given time. Even McIlrath has learned how to play hockey 1st & fight 2nd.....times are changing & it is for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    times are changing & it is for the better.
    Speak for yourself.

only a matter of time before fighting is unfortunately banned in the CHL

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
    Speak for yourself.

i like seeing a good scrap just like the next guy the fights i dont like seeing as they r totally pointless & have no need to be in the game are the goons fighting the goons during 1 of there 3 shifts in a game.

those fights have ZERO impact on the game, & rnt even good fights to begin with, the best fights are when ur battling in the corner with a guy & uve just had enough of each other & the mits are dropped those are the fights the NHL & hockey fans want to see not these pointless fights just cuz ur expected to fight.

so yes times are changing for the BETTER

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    i like seeing a good scrap just like the next guy the fights i dont like seeing as they r totally pointless & have no need to be in the game are the goons fighting the goons during 1 of there 3 shifts in a game.

those fights have ZERO impact on the game, & rnt even good fights to begin with, the best fights are when ur battling in the corner with a guy & uve just had enough of each other & the mits are dropped those are the fights the NHL & hockey fans want to see not these pointless fights just cuz ur expected to fight.

so yes times are changing for the BETTER
    Once again speak for yourself. You sound just like the average new age hockey fan.

The game is not changing for the better. The game only gets worse and worse year after year. The NHL is already at at point where it is pretty much unwatchable and eventually the dub will get to that point too. The sport is turning extremely soft. Maybe that's something your type will enjoy but it certainly isn't my cup of tea. I have zero interest in watching soft european style hockey with little to no hitting and no fighting. Passion and rivalries in the sport are already way less intense than just a few years ago. And that trend will only continue as the rules are altered to discourage physicality.
    Last edited by Lucic; 01-31-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
    The game is not changing for the better. The game only gets worse and worse year after year. The NHL is already at at point where it is pretty much unwatchable and eventually the dub will get to that point too. The sport is turning extremely soft. Maybe that's something your type will enjoy but it certainly isn't my cup of tea. I have zero interest in watching soft european style hockey with little to no hitting and no fighting. Passion and rivalries in the sport are already way less intense than just a few years ago. And that trend will only continue as the rules are altered to discourage physicality.

When did i ever say the GAME was changing for the better? stop putting words into my mouth buddy only thing that is changing for the better is the pointless fights, i NEVER once said to take away fighting or that i watched to watch euro hockey.

The NHL is a joke to watch i have maybe watched 4 games all year long, im sick of all the head shots these useless players go after. National Headshot League... there is no respect in the NHL level.

i usually dont agree with Don Cherry on most things but on a Coaches corner recently , he mentioned that the game needs to change back to what it used to be ....PRE Bettman.The game is too fast, the players are bigger ,faster and stronger .Players are getting hurt because players wind up to high speeds and bang and crash.Don Cherry thinks that they should bring back the two line pass rule and make that illegal.Defenseman should be allowed to run interference to bring down speeds.The NHL is concentrating on stopping headshots which in turn brings the rise of career threatening low knee to knee shots.Fighting in the game helps players in policing the game themselves.Players that continue to play dirty with intentional high head shots or low knee blows should be forced to drop the gloves.A game without fighting would force players to wear cages as it would be a very dirty game .Please bring back hockey the way that it was played pre Bettman.

Iconwhl

It boggles my mind how Bettman has been able to keep his job for so long, i know its all politics when it comes to him & the other high up guys in the NHL.

I agree to some degree what Cherry is saying tho i just cringe at watching hockey again where its 2-1 every game... i think little things can be still done for starters that goalie trapzoid must go, that alone would save defensemen coming back for dumped in pucks. It all comes back to the equipment these guys are wearing hard plastic vs foam like equipment, keep the hard plastic on the shins but that is all, if players were wearing less equipment they would be more responsible in every area of the ice.

If your wearing foam like equipment ur going to take a big run at a guy along the boards cuz if u miss him ur going to feel every bit of pain from it... & even if there is a head shot getting hit in the head with foam like material is alot less painful then the hard plastic they use now.... for the life of me i dont understand how the NHL cant even address the player equipment is it cuz they r too focused on the goalie equipment & making them smaller in the net?

I would like to see the NHL do this for min of 10 games per team & go with the statistics from those games & just see what the results are... i assure u there will be less injuries & more respect on the ice.