Thread: A quick look at the Pats' situation

Default A quick look at the Pats' situation

The good news is that unlike last year(s), we have control over our future, especially since we face direct competition in brandon so many times. We got a game against Red Deer, which should seal that deal barring any extreme collapse before the season ends.

We have a decent schedule to end the season. 9 games with one vs Red Deer, a couple vs PA and MJ and then the rest against Brandon. Only two road games are MJ and Brandon. Blades end their schedule with a roadtrip, and Kootenay has a tough schedule. Not concerned with Edmonton and MJ, since we arent catching them...but Cal and Med have a few soft balls across the plate.

Just like last year at this time, Scheidl has really picked up his game. I think he will be as key as Weal. Also, our defence has been really strong the last few games, even without Davidson. Need to find games to rest Hewitt, though.

The bad news to me is I feel we might have difficulty keeping the pace we have in a playoff series. Most of our games have been tight and rough, and as a small team it is hard to say how long we can keep it up, especially against a grinding team like MJ.

Also, Im not sure what team we will match up well against. Kootenay has been a little ****ty lately, but would be tough to handle as far as style + Koot's exp from last year, Calgary has depth up the wazoo, and Edmonton is the best team in the league. Med Hat has experience, a top goaltender and two top goal scorers + a dangerous PP.

I guess we can only worry about how we play. Hewitt and Weal are playing well, and our top defenceman are healthy and playing lots of minutes. Hopefully we can make our own good matchup.

Pats are much better coached this year. They are a very hard team to play against on the road or at home. That too me is the biggest improvement. If they can take that coaching and apply by drafting the right type of players then they will really have something.

I agree we need to rest Hewitt for a game, possible PA or if the last game in Brandon is a nothing game.

As match ups go I agree with the coach, play our hockey force them to match lines with us and watch taking penalties. Our PK is getting stronger but the other side of it is you get out of line rotation and tire out specific players.

IMO Moose Jaw is the team we match up the worse with, they are big and grind it out. Not sure we could go seven games with them.

I will make a prediction for the league final and see if there are other opinions out there. Moose Jaw and Portland

Would be great if we get 2 rounds or converence final

Going by the this seasons games, I would rather see the Pats play Edmonton over MJ. Mostly because the Pats know they can play well against them, where MJ is what was already said...a big, tough team. The Pats would have to try and tire them out with their speed while trying to match some of the physical play. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind the Pats playing any other team in front of them.

It's definitely nice to see the Pats play elevated as of late. Hopefully they can keep it up and carry it into the playoffs. At this point, I'm confident the Pats are in.

Hot goaltender is nice to have, good on Hewit.
    I don't think anyone wants MJ or Koot, Cgy maybe be low on playoff experience, how do you guys match up against the Tigers?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Iconwhl

I really want to face the Tigers in the 1st round, they are a 2 line hockey team, they rarely play there 3rd & 4th lines, we have the defense to match up against Etem & Shinkaruk they were virtually held off the score sheet in every game against the Pats, Jobke & Bidlevskii are a great shut down line & even Davidson & Marincin are more then capable of being out there against them as well.

I dont think the Warriors will do as good as many would seem to think, they have a terrible rep with the officals & unfortuantely the refs can decide the outcome of a series. The Warriors have the skill dont get me wrong but therer goon rep doesnt sit nicely with the officals. Plus the Warriors defense is very weak (not in a toughness kind of way) there big & extremely SLOW, for instance the Pats chipped the puck by them all game long the entire season match up which has given us success against them.

Everyone seems to think we should play EDM just due to our regular season success agaisnt them, but lets remember Ewanyk has been out all season long & is back by playoff time he should have his legs & timing all back & then they picked up Samuelsson who is just shy of 1point/game.. we never faced the Oil Kings since the pick of Samuelsson & now with Ewanyk back that gives them 3 solid lines that can all score, they are kind of like us in terms of ZERO playoff experience which could be a deciding factor in how far they do go this year. But like i have said all season long, as good as the Oil Kings are they are NOT built for this year they will give the Blades a run for there money next season for the Memorial Cup/WHL Champs

Ever since the WKs beat us here in Regina they have turned there 2nd half completely around & are currently unbeaten in 7games in regulation. We match up against them well they have offense but lack defense. Boes is playing well as of late which has been a huge relieve to WKs fans forsure.

These final 3 weeks will be very interesting, but the Pats can really solify there playoff chances with a win over RD tomorrow nite. Especially if MJ beats them tonite as well.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    I really want to face the Tigers in the 1st round, they are a 2 line hockey team, they rarely play there 3rd & 4th lines, we have the defense to match up against Etem & Shinkaruk they were virtually held off the score sheet in every game against the Pats, Jobke & Bidlevskii are a great shut down line & even Davidson & Marincin are more then capable of being out there against them as well.

I dont think the Warriors will do as good as many would seem to think, they have a terrible rep with the officals & unfortuantely the refs can decide the outcome of a series. The Warriors have the skill dont get me wrong but therer goon rep doesnt sit nicely with the officals. Plus the Warriors defense is very weak (not in a toughness kind of way) there big & extremely SLOW, for instance the Pats chipped the puck by them all game long the entire season match up which has given us success against them.

Everyone seems to think we should play EDM just due to our regular season success agaisnt them, but lets remember Ewanyk has been out all season long & is back by playoff time he should have his legs & timing all back & then they picked up Samuelsson who is just shy of 1point/game.. we never faced the Oil Kings since the pick of Samuelsson & now with Ewanyk back that gives them 3 solid lines that can all score, they are kind of like us in terms of ZERO playoff experience which could be a deciding factor in how far they do go this year. But like i have said all season long, as good as the Oil Kings are they are NOT built for this year they will give the Blades a run for there money next season for the Memorial Cup/WHL Champs

Ever since the WKs beat us here in Regina they have turned there 2nd half completely around & are currently unbeaten in 7games in regulation. We match up against them well they have offense but lack defense. Boes is playing well as of late which has been a huge relieve to WKs fans forsure.

These final 3 weeks will be very interesting, but the Pats can really solify there playoff chances with a win over RD tomorrow nite. Especially if MJ beats them tonite as well.
    The one thing that Pats and WK fans can take heart in is the fact that we've both been in playoff battle mode the last 2 to 3 weeks, that should stand us in good stead when the real playoffs start, both teams should be used to playing with pressure.
    It's unbelievable how small the spread is from 1st to 8th this year in the East, I've never seen it with so much parity!
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Iconwhl

Only once have i ever seen it so close before & that was in 2007/08 season when every team in the Eastern Conference had 40+ wins except for MJ who finished 8th with 37 wins.... 8pts separated 2nd from 8th, that was also the last season the Pats made the playoffs