Thread: NHL lockout 2012

Default NHL lockout 2012

if you don't think it could happen keep dreaming. the two sides haven't had discussions yet, not once.

from drinnan's blog...

"With the threat of a lockout looming, the NHL has started making moves in preparation. That includes the cancellation of the annual Young Guns tournament that has been played in Penticton, B.C. Last year’s tournament featured the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks and Winnipeg Jets."

yes it will affect the whl. it'll make a silly season, with the league hosting the memorial cup, even sillier. some players who might otherwise move on will be in junior, more teams contending, more uncertainty, hopefully not too many changes forced by the pros onto the minor and amateur leagues.

I've got a funny feeling that there will be a season next year. No reason as to why, just a hunch.

Both sides would be so very foolish to let it get to a lockout. Who knows what they're griping about this time around, but it would put them back drastically if they let this happen.
    @Wheatiemaniac on twitter.

Iconwhl

The owners want to get rid of the guarenteed contracts & of course the players want to keep them... the NFL is the best model professional sports league out there & contracts mean nothing to if u make the team or not, they can cut ur POS a*s at any given time & the only money owing to u is the signing bonus & even then its only a certain percentage that is owed.

The NHL CBA is the laughing stock of all professional sports league out there & the NHL & its owners want to try & correct it this time around. Yes another full season lockout would hurt hockey yet again especially down in the southern states but then again any fan of the game of hockey will come back reguardless.

There is a very high chance of another full season lockout, anyone who has followed any info on this at all will see that the owners are set yet again for another waste of a season if it gets to that point. Yes the owners will lose money but for alot of them that is nothing new so would prob benefit them still even if there wasnt a single game played next year. Its the players who will lose out the most, as non of them will make a single penny if the season is a wash out.

This could & will effect the junior leagues drastically, the WHL is considering going with a 4th 20yr old & there are talks about the whole CHL doing it to take in the rewards of better quality hockey for every team. The AHL will be packed with players as will the ECHL as the filter effect will take place, any player with any junior elgilbilty left have a very high chance of returning as a 20yr old.... yes that does include players like Hopkins, Stone, Holland, Gallengher, Ferland, Howden, McIlrath, Etem, & Weal.... a interesting stat with Weal if he does return to the WHL he could easily rewrite the Pats all-time points record book & become the Pats all-time leader in points as he is 116pts behind Derkatch it may be alil far fetch but 2nd all time is more within grasp as that is only 35pts to take soul possession. Yes it took him more games then the others but in 2 totally different era's of hockey.

I for 1 hope the NHL locks out all season long, the NHL is becoming such a joke of a league & things need to change. I used to be a huge fan of the NHL but the last 2 years i can count on both hands how many regular season games i have watched on TV i will watch an OHL or QMJHL game on TV before ill watch an NHL game.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    any player with any junior elgilbilty left have a very high chance of returning as a 20yr old.... yes that does include players like Hopkins
    Hopkins will be 19 and normally not eligible to play pro, however the NHL has cancelled the current CBA as of September 2012, so I wonder if that means that a 19 year old CHL player can play in minor pro?

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Hopkins will be 19 and normally not eligible to play pro, however the NHL has cancelled the current CBA as of September 2012, so I wonder if that means that a 19 year old CHL player can play in minor pro?
    That would mean that Taylor Hall and Cam Fowler could return to Windsor as overagers, correct or incorrect? Just curious. It would be awesome to see Stone and Ferland back in Brandon as I'm sure the other afformentioned players would be a welcome sight on their teams as well.

I would love to see them go to a CHL wide policy of 4 OA's per team. Not just for the lockout period but a permanent. It would provide teams with an extra option on cutdown day and would allow some 16 yr olds to stay in Midget an extra year playing instead of a season as a healthy scratch over 40% of the time.

One thing I do hope they realize in the new CBA is that GMs should ban the practice of front loaded contracts. This is a blatant circumvention of the salary cap and Bettman needs to openly acknowledge this. Otherwise, the cap is virtually pointless. just ask Brian Burke.

Default NHL

[QUOTE=The Wheatiemaniac;181624]That would mean that Taylor Hall and Cam Fowler could return to Windsor as overagers, correct or incorrect? Just curious. It would be awesome to see Stone and Ferland back in Brandon as I'm sure the other afformentioned players would be a welcome sight on their teams as well.

I would love to see them go to a CHL wide policy of 4 OA's per team. Not just for the lockout period but a permanent. It would provide teams with an extra option on cutdown day and would allow some 16 yr olds to stay in Midget an extra year playing instead of a season as a healthy scratch over 40% of the time.

One thing I do hope they realize in the new CBA is that GMs should ban the practice of front loaded contracts. This is a blatant circumvention of the salary cap and Bettman needs to openly acknowledge this. Otherwise, the cap is virtually pointless. just ask Brian Burke.[/QUOTE

Any players who played full time in the NHL this year (Nugent-Hopkins and others who are still underaged next season plus any guys that would be overagers in junior this coming season but played in the NHL this season will be able to play pro in the minors. I recall this situation from the last lockout as there was no players returned as once deemed pro by playing already a season they can play in the minors.

P.S. Taylor Hall is ineligible because he was a overage this season. Late birthday meant he played three seasons junior before he played with the Edmonton Oilers as a nineteen year old and overage this season the last couple seasons.

The NHL owners want a couple things:

Profit sharing with the players - they want that reduced to 50% from the current 54% or whatever it is.

Free agency age raised - the owners don't want it keep at 26 years but raised to the 29 what it was before. Sidney Crosby will be a complete free agent as it stands (not even a restricted free agent)

The floor on the salary cap lowered for the teams. Right now the cap is around 60 million (slightly above what it was before the previous lockout) Amazing that nothing has come of that. A full season lost and there are where they were. But the floor is around 45 million that means teams that are struggling financially must still get to the salary floor. The NHL likely wants that dropped 10 million or so. Maybe more in line with 50% of the cap not the 75% of the cap.

Default Thanks for the info

[QUOTE=N.W. Bruin;181638]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wheatiemaniac View Post
    That would mean that Taylor Hall and Cam Fowler could return to Windsor as overagers, correct or incorrect? Just curious. It would be awesome to see Stone and Ferland back in Brandon as I'm sure the other afformentioned players would be a welcome sight on their teams as well.

One thing I do hope they realize in the new CBA is that GMs should ban the practice of front loaded contracts. This is a blatant circumvention of the salary cap and Bettman needs to openly acknowledge this. Otherwise, the cap is virtually pointless. just ask Brian Burke.[/QUOTE

Any players who played full time in the NHL this year (Nugent-Hopkins and others who are still underaged next season plus any guys that would be overagers in junior this coming season but played in the NHL this season will be able to play pro in the minors. I recall this situation from the last lockout as there was no players returned as once deemed pro by playing already a season they can play in the minors.

P.S. Taylor Hall is ineligible because he was a overage this season. Late birthday meant he played three seasons junior before he played with the Edmonton Oilers as a nineteen year old and overage this season the last couple seasons.

The NHL owners want a couple things:

Profit sharing with the players - they want that reduced to 50% from the current 54% or whatever it is.

Free agency age raised - the owners don't want it keep at 26 years but raised to the 29 what it was before. Sidney Crosby will be a complete free agent as it stands (not even a restricted free agent)

The floor on the salary cap lowered for the teams. Right now the cap is around 60 million (slightly above what it was before the previous lockout) Amazing that nothing has come of that. A full season lost and there are where they were. But the floor is around 45 million that means teams that are struggling financially must still get to the salary floor. The NHL likely wants that dropped 10 million or so. Maybe more in line with 50% of the cap not the 75% of the cap.
    I was merely curious about who would be eligible. i hope they play a full season. But if they only play a shortened season like the NBA just did, what will happen to Jr. OA players who trickled back down to the CHL because of the overcrowd in the AHL and ECHL? Will Jr. rosteres be pillaged when the lockout ends and NHL players make their way back up to the big team?