Thread: Giants trying to recruit AJHL goaltender Matt Tomkins

Default Giants trying to recruit AJHL goaltender Matt Tomkins

The Giants, who picked up overage netminder Adam Morrison in a trade early in this completed season and played him in 57 regular season games, have two goalie prospects they like in Jackson Whistle, 16, and Payton Lee, 15. General manager Scott Bonner has already said that he doesn’t want to go with two youngsters in goal in 2012-13, and he’s been trying to land a commitment from Matt Tomkins, 17, who’s fresh off a hotshot campaign with the Alberta Junior A League’s Sherwood Park Crusaders.

Tomkins was the 10th ranked goalie on Central Scouting’s final draft ratings, and he’s also contemplating scholarship interest from Ohio State and Colorado College. He said Thursday that he’ll make a decision in the coming couple of weeks.

“It’s pretty split right now,” said Tomkins. “Originally, the intention was to go the NCAA route, but it’s starting to change with Vancouver in the picture.
    Full Article

If this becomes official I presume Whistle is trade bait?

I can't see Lee being moved as the Giants are even more high on him than Whistle. This could make things a lot more interesting and confusing at the same time.

Send him to the Royals

agreed confusing 17 yr old tender is not exactly a veteran, esp from a level down. I hope Bonner has other options in mind.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Post Matt Tomkins has apparently decided to go the NCAA route

Thumbs down

I wish the Giants would just let Whistle and Lee take over the reins. They need the experience in order to grow.