Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: thank you

Default thank you

Well, another season has come to an end and even though we once again miss the playoffs we have seen some great hockey in town. Like all of you I honestly expected us to make the playoffs. And in hindsight the loss of all those games in a row while our youngsters were learning what our coaches were attempting to teach, sucks. But these youngsters have come a long way and as Brad Curl the Hitmans and our former broadcaster stated on his show the other night from Calgary, is this team is going to unbelievable for the next few years. thanks ketlo and sutter and also braes for the memories. Good luck as you move on . Can hardlly wait for the draft and what changes will be made with the Euro and 5 now to be 20 year olds. Who stays and who goes.

Default heard that the team is up for sale............

also heard that the league was just waiting for the end of the season to announce it.....just rumors of coarse but there is a long list of buyers from what ive heard.....
    GO CANES GO.................

Thumbs up Also have heard

Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    also heard that the league was just waiting for the end of the season to announce it.....just rumors of coarse but there is a long list of buyers from what ive heard.....
    that Preston had an offer to join the LAKings with Sutter again? Whether true or not is unknown for sure; whether he goes or not is yet to be seen; changes in the coaching staff all around could be interesting. Could be a few changes in store. Selling the team to a private investor would be the #1 smart decision that could be done!

I dare say that Lethbridge could be a very strong team in years to come with all the potential draft talent. But once playoffs are made, being able to keep that talent coming without dropping off again in 5 years because we don't get the top draft picks needs to be addressed also. That is how we got into this mess. Drafting is one good thing, but picking up and trading for talent also needs to be continued. Preston didn't do too much of that. He made trades for mediocre players, but sometimes you have to pay to get high end talent and that has to be utilized, IMO, as well.

Looking forward to years to come for some fun and positive commenting on this board again.

Er selling club. Get ov e r itN '
    Quote Originally Posted by shushu View Post
    Notsofast. It is not simple to just take an offer and sell. Legal processes involved. If not folowed breaking provincial law. Shareholders have final say via vote ifshareholders say no nothing can be done. Stays community owned. There are always sharks circling when the think prey is wounded. League can't make shareholders do squat. They have no authority as leth hurricanes are a separate entity. Would be like Sears telling Zellers th e y h a d to sell to the best offer. Ain't so

Default Sale or No Sale ??

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Er selling club. Get ov e r itN '

Notsofast. It is not simple to just take an offer and sell. Legal processes involved. If not folowed breaking provincial law. Shareholders have final say via vote ifshareholders say no nothing can be done. Stays community owned. There are always sharks circling when the think prey is wounded. League can't make shareholders do squat. They have no authority as leth hurricanes are a separate entity. Would be like Sears telling Zellers th e y h a d to sell to the best offer. Ain't so
    Did Chilliwack have a choice when being sold? I think if the League wants to make some changes, for the benefit of the team, players, and Lethbridge, they can put a lot of pressure on the Board to sell, in order to ensure profits at the door, player development, and to get a team up to league standards.

I don't see any changes coming around this year, but I do think they will pressure the Board to show profits or there could be some forced changes.

Default nosofast

The league can put all the pressure it wants on the board but the the board does not have the authority to sell it. The board has the authority to receive offers but they MUST be presented to the shareholders who may or may not wish to sell the team. This is the LAW and this is how the team is set up under the companies act. GET IT???? Chilliwack on the other hand was privately owned. Big difference.

The league can put all the pressure it wants on the board but the the board does not have the authority to sell it. The board has the authority to receive offers but they MUST be presented to the shareholders who may or may not wish to sell the team. This is the LAW and this is how the team is set up under the companies act. GET IT???? Chilliwack on the other hand was privately owned. Big difference.
    IF the league asked them to sell and were turned down all they have to do is revoke the franchise. It is in the WHL constitution the league owns the franchise rights and can revoke them with a league vote. It has been done before (Billings ) but I doubt that Lethbridge is a concern more like SC & PG. So what you stated about the LAW doesnt apply here all sports leagues own the franchise rights thats how they control the teams and their conduct. So if your team is not meeting the league standards they can force you to sell relocate or simply disband your franchise.
    GO WARRIORS GO

They can revoke but they can't force any shareholder to vote one way or another to sell or keep the club. Even if they revoke they still require permission from the shareholders to sell it to another entity. The club is a clearly established entity in the province and as such operates under the auspices of the companies act of alberta, not the companies act of the western hockey league. The league has its own articles which implies how the league will operate. With a community based team the shareholders wishes come first.

They can revoke but they can't force any shareholder to vote one way or another to sell or keep the club. Even if they revoke they still require permission from the shareholders to sell it to another entity. The club is a clearly established entity in the province and as such operates under the auspices of the companies act of alberta, not the companies act of the western hockey league. The league has its own articles which implies how the league will operate. With a community based team the shareholders wishes come first.
    You are way wrong on this. They revoke the franchise then it has no value it is dormant. Just because its community owned makes no difference.So if push came to shove the share holders would have to choose between selling or owning nothing . You may want to get updated on how league constitutions are set up. With the WHL the league comes FIRST that is how and why the bylaws are set up to protect the league as a whole from poorly run or mismanaged franchises. Portland is another that was forced to sell. All teams sign off on these bylaws when they are awarded franchises . you own the team the league owns the franchise and the bylaws have to be met if not you lose your franchise and its players.
    GO WARRIORS GO

The shareholders need to sign off whether, revoked, sold, suspended or whatever. Portland once again is a private enterprise. Big difference. You and I agree to disagree. The league can provide direction but cannot twist the arms of over 1200 shareholders to get what they want. I'm a shareholder and have the right to exercise my vote on various things, one being to sell or disband the club, approve financials at an AGM, etc. This shareholder right cannot be circumvented and this right is clearly indicated when a share purchase occurs. I can purchase more shares today. i.e. the league can't tell them to stop!!!!! The only way that can happen is if the club got a cease and desist order from the Province and there is no such thing on the horizon.