Thread: 2012 Bantam Draft Picks

Default 2012 Bantam Draft Picks

With the draft being less than a week away, I though I would have some fun and get some feedback on some potential future Pats.

the Pats don't have any high picks and not a ton of picks, so the scouting staff will have to go with quality over quantity. Not a lot of room for 'projects'.

First pick will be 31st over all. I would look to select Ty Ronning. Could also look at Chris Seto or Brad Morrison.

Next picks 63rd and 68th. Go with local defenseman Brennan Riddle. I would also give some serious consideration for d-man Troy Murray and forwards Regan Nagy, Jackson Keane and Andrew Koep (not necessarily in that order).

94th pick - Maybe Matt Bradley (if he is still around) or take a chance on Ben Barker (WHL vs US hockey comitments)

109th pick - Stick with the tradition of picking a goaltender. How about a local kid like Logan Flodell?

I think for some of these guys, it is wishful thinking that they will still be around. But, what the heck...

I would really love the Pats to be able to pick Jayden Halbgewachs, but there is no doubt that he will go before the 31st pick.

Any other thoughts?

Default They will be gone

Good selections but they will never be around by the time you pick

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    First pick will be 31st over all. I would look to select Ty Ronning. Could also look at Chris Seto or Brad Morrison.

Next picks 63rd and 68th.

Before the Trade Deadline the Pats had (1) 1st rd pick & (3) 2nd round picks (REG, KEL, TC) that was 4 picks in the top 44 selections... well we did trade our 1st rd pick to PG & 1 of the (3) 2nd rd picks to PG as well that still leaves the Pats with 2 selections in the top 44 picks (1st 2 rounds)

In the 3rd rd I dont think the Pats have a pick to be honest as we traded a 3rd rd pick in the Ashton deal to TC, & then a few days later got a 3rd rd pick back from KAM in the Frazee deal but then this year we traded a 3rd rd pick to land Fenske.......Unless im missing a deal in the past 3 yrs on the WHL site (which may of happened as its alot of small text) i dont think the Pats have a pick at all between 45th & 66th (which is the 3rd rd) unless the Pats move a player on draft day the Pats wont have a pick in the 3rd rd.

The 4th rd the Pats still only have 1 pick as we gave up a 4th rd pick to get Underwood & then got it back in the Marincin deal, altho we did move up a few spots byswapping out 4th rd picks in 2 different trades. There are alot of steals that come in the 4th to 6th rd at this age group.

This years draft like many gets on a level playing ground after the top 5 picks, it comes down to more which team likes which player more to fit into how they are trying to build there team. The Pats made out pretty good last year with no 1st rd pick & will have to try to land 2 quality players again in the 2nd rd.

The bantam draft is always a crap shoot as u just never know what a 14/15yr old kid is going to turn into. In the past couple yrs 2 players come to mind who were so called "cant miss junior prospects" in Taylor Balog & Mason Logan neither guy can crack a WHL roster as of yet & i dont see it happening any time soon either. Im glad Parker unloaded these 2 players as i know forsure Balog wasnt impressive at his only camp in Regina, was very OVER-RATED

I went with the information from Alan Caldwell and his blog. He is much more realible than the WHL website. The Pats also gave up picks from this year's draft for Colin Redding, Underwood, and Fenske.

This year's draft is interesting a couple of real highend talents and then a sharp drop off. But, from what I understand a ton of kids that are 2nd to 5th rounders that have the potential to contribute in the WHL. If the Pats do their homework, they can get a couple of useful pieces for the future.

In the past couple yrs 2 players come to mind who were so called "cant miss junior prospects" in Taylor Balog & Mason Logan neither guy can crack a WHL roster as of yet
    Balog is still a good talent. He is just one of those kids that lacks the dedication to play at a high level. The Pats should have known that going into the draft (because all the other WHL teams seemed to know it). Add Brett Miller to your list.

The 2008 and 2009 draft years were absolutely brutal. There are only 5 or 6 kids that will ever put on a WHL jersey. These were the last years of Parker's draft reign, I think that is symbolic.

Now you look at the 2010 draft class, and there are 6 or 7 kids from that draft that could play in the WHL. The jury is out on the 2011 kids, but it does appear that Brooks is a blue chipper.

Good selections but they will never be around by the time you pick
    So you don't think that Ronning, Seto or Morrison will be around at 31? then that would mean that the Pats will have a shot at Soy, Conrad and Gatenby. Which would be even better.

I think that Keane and Nagy might go late second - early third, but I do think that Riddle will be there.

Flodell won't be around in the 5th? Really? Then that would mean that 15 goaltenders will be taken before the 6th round, that is insane.

Ronning,Morrison,Soy,Gatenby,Conrad,Nagy will be gone by #31...at 31 you are looking maybe at a Riddle,Draude,and a Campese for Sask. kids.Keane could be around but word is NCAA could be a real option.
    Flodell should be availbale in 5th but a bit of a wildcard after a very poor season on a bad team and bad showings at regina and PA tournaments...did have a good sask 1st.
    Lang traded a lot of picks and players for Marincin,Fenske,Underwood.

I do not know the talent at the Bantam level so I will not comment on who to pick but I do want to point out the draft picks traded this season both in and out. Picks going to other teams are 2012 1st, 2nd, 4th 2013 3rd, 4th, 5th Picks coming our way are 2012 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 6th conditional. 2013 4th, 5th. over all we lost: (1st in 12 and a 3rd in 13)
    For contrast Moose Jaw (they are playing in the conference final and we are not) traded picks 2012 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th and 2013 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th 2014 3rd. In return they got 2012 5th, 2013 7th and 2014 5th conditional. Hope they had a few stock piled
    Last edited by RWAH; 04-26-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: grammer

Moose jaw traded away some draft picks this but they were able to that because they had multiple selections in rounds. There were a couple rounds they had 3 or 4 selections. Over the past couple of years they had been picking up numerours draft picks thru trades. Last year Miller picked up 6 draft picks thru trades.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGuru View Post
    Lang traded a lot of picks and players for Marincin,Fenske,Underwood.
    Seriously? he traded alot of picks & players for those guys? Only player that went was Blidstrand which had to be done & as for picks with the Fenske trade he gave up a 3rd rd pick for next year & gave up a 4th rd pick for Underwood & thats it then the Marincin deal which was a 1st rd & a 2nd for this year (which we still had 2 2nd rd picks before that deal took place)

I wish he could of gave up the 1st or the 2nd to get Crooks instead of Marincin but that is all over & done with long ago everyone knew we needed scoring & not defense.

Could see guys like Martell, Moser, Reider & possibly Hewitt up for trades at the draft to land some mid round picks, the Pats have a handful of prospects that are ready to make the jump to the WHL next season (some 16yrs some 17yrs) i still think Hewitt could be moved to PG as they have no goalie ready to take the starting role, they gave up a great package this past season to get Owsley from TC (going off both players 19yr old year the numbers r very simliar 2.77GAA/2.76GAA .912SV%/.905SV% 36W/32W) & Hewitt even has 3" on him too & Hewitt is classified as a small goalie

I know there is a few guys on here who dont think Hewitt is going anywhere but really with our 20yr old situation there is no room for a 20yr old goalie, especially if there is a lockout in the NHL, midas well get some value now before the market gets flooded as if there is a lockout no way in hell Hewitt sticks then. Also PG has a very weak group of 19yr olds, id be surprised if any of them stick around besides maybe Fraser & possibly Gibb (but Gibb wouldnt be what u call a quality 20yr old)