Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Blades taking shape

Prince Albert just acquired a 20 year old goalie in Luke Siemens. I think they have designs on being a playoff team next year. So if McNeill returns, which I think he will, they should be a fairly competitive team. Mike Winther, Bardaro, McVeigh as well as a number of good pieces on the blueline could lead them to a decent season.

There is no doubt that Lorne will use his top prospects in the system, as well as that big 1st round pick in the 2013 bantam draft as key trading pieces. They will likely acquire another key 20 yr old defenseman or forward as well as a couple top end 19 yr old forwards who can score.

As it stands now, Josh Nicholls, Matej Stransky, Brendan Walker and Shane McColgan give the Blades 4 top 6 forwards. They will acquire 2 more most likely. As for names, who knows as this point. I think they would Astles, Sutter on a 3rd line checking unit with Benson (if he isn't dealt).

Siemens, Thower, Dietz and Pufahl are a good top 4 at this point. Connor Cox is a 20 year old who is also eligable to return but could be dealt. A need could be just a big, bruising stay at home dman or someone with an edge. I know some have mentioned Matthew Dumba as a possible player to come and many have mentioned Ryan Murray. Again, it is just a big guess at this point.

In goal, I think adding some veteran experience would be very important. Ideally it would be good for Makarov to play just 50 games or so. Perhaps Cole Holowenko or someone such as him would be a decent backup.

Should be interesting to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by Western Elite View Post
    Prince Albert just acquired a 20 year old goalie in Luke Siemens. I think they have designs on being a playoff team next year. So if McNeill returns, which I think he will, they should be a fairly competitive team. Mike Winther, Bardaro, McVeigh as well as a number of good pieces on the blueline could lead them to a decent season.

There is no doubt that Lorne will use his top prospects in the system, as well as that big 1st round pick in the 2013 bantam draft as key trading pieces. They will likely acquire another key 20 yr old defenseman or forward as well as a couple top end 19 yr old forwards who can score.

As it stands now, Josh Nicholls, Matej Stransky, Brendan Walker and Shane McColgan give the Blades 4 top 6 forwards. They will acquire 2 more most likely. As for names, who knows as this point. I think they would Astles, Sutter on a 3rd line checking unit with Benson (if he isn't dealt).

Siemens, Thower, Dietz and Pufahl are a good top 4 at this point. Connor Cox is a 20 year old who is also eligable to return but could be dealt. A need could be just a big, bruising stay at home dman or someone with an edge. I know some have mentioned Matthew Dumba as a possible player to come and many have mentioned Ryan Murray. Again, it is just a big guess at this point.

In goal, I think adding some veteran experience would be very important. Ideally it would be good for Makarov to play just 50 games or so. Perhaps Cole Holowenko or someone such as him would be a decent backup.

Should be interesting to follow!
    Nice post Western. Thanks for that. Adam Lowrey would be a nice addition if PA won't deal Mcneil, though there are some that expect decent things out of Swift Current again next year as well. If I remember correctly, they had a very young team last year.

Though I'm high on Moodie, a veteran back up goalie may not be a bad idea. Time will tell I guess.

3. Default

I could see the Blades starting the season with Walker and McColgan both at center, positions they can both play despite being listed as wingers. With that being said, it's more likely that we see McColgan on the wing.

Stransky-Walker-McColgan
    Graham-Sutter-Nicholls
    Astles-Benson-Stovin
    Zajac-McEvoy-Stockl?

Default I'll give it a try, for what its worth

McColgan - Center - Stransky
    Nicholls - Walker - L.wing
    Astles - Sutter - Lowry
    ? - Stovin - ?

Siemens - Thrower
    Dietz - Dman
    Pufahl - Cox
    young guy

Makarov
    Liston

Center - McNiell, Bardaro(cheaper than McNiell), Weal(if back), Smith(Blazers)
    L.wing - Gordon, Ross, Ranford
    Dman - Scarlet, Wotherspoon, Hanson, Rielly, Dumba(to expensive I think, like Schenn expensive)

I also like Sutter with Astles......tough, physical and can score a bit!
    Problem I see is some trades have to happen before players scholastic contract kicks in. Or they end up being bunch of picks for one player(Schenn). No young roster play will want to move midseason. As much as I like moodie, if I were another team, he'd be one of the first guys I ask about. Might need to move Cox if his spot is needed at forward. Think Stovin will move too, another guy teams will ask for. Lowry would be a grat fit on that 3rd line, player LM really would like!

I like these trade -1) Lowry, Gordon & Scarlet for Stockl, Moodie, Nogier, Zajac & 2 low round picks plus another prospect/roster player to sweeten the pot.
    or
    2) Smith, Ranford & Hanson for above list. This means Cox gone & need another dman.
    or
    3) Ross, Leipsic & Wotherspoon for same plus a couple more picks.

Use couple picks and prospects for the 1st line center if trade 1 happens or for Lowry if 2 or 3 happens.

Liston for higher pick and prospect.

I have a feeling the Blades would only trade Moodie if they got a goaltender back in return and a top notch player.

Liston to me isn't worth a high pick.

Sorry high pick to me is high round pick, maybe I should say late round pick!

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat20 View Post
    Sorry high pick to me is high round pick, maybe I should say late round pick!
    None the less it was a cool post bigcat20! I think Kamloops is supposed to be a real good team next year so I'm not sure there selling.

Quote Originally Posted by curwie View Post
    In my opinion we need another top center and one or 2 wingers along with a top Dman like, Dumba, or Pulock or Murray.
    Murray would be the most likely guy. He'd be a rental whereas Dumba and Pulock are likely back for 2013-2014. The price for Dumba or Pulock would in the Hamonic and Schenn ballparks, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Murray would be the most likely guy. He'd be a rental whereas Dumba and Pulock are likely back for 2013-2014. The price for Dumba or Pulock would in the Hamonic and Schenn ballparks, respectively.
    Good point. However if we spend a little more on Pulock or Dumba, you get back some of those picks or prospects the following year by dealing them if the team sucks, which it likely will. I will gladly support a team that sucks for a year or 2 after 2013 as long as we go all in and try to win the cup through the front door in our hometown.

I should also add, (considering Everett is under new management) that i believe you are correct and Murray will be very likely to be dealt somewhere. That team seems to be going no where fast. No offense tips fans.
    Last edited by curwie; 05-06-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I think the price for Pulock would be higher because he has 2 seasons left in the dub, Dumba only 1. Schenn was a 1 year rental, whereas Pulock would be a 2 year rental.
    Liston might be a great backup goalie, probably come real cheap, he's a great team guy as well.
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.