Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick the Team Boys

Quote Originally Posted by AAAScout View Post
    I will not get into it on every post with you all year long again other than to say this.

Quinney is jockeying for something, I will say that, but so far has told Bruno he will not sign here as of yet.......hopefully that changes and he gives the Raiders a chance.

Young players getting drafted from your team etc etc means nothing anymore cash wise(it certainly does publicity wise)the money from the drafted players is dispersed via league not via team anymore as far as I am aware. So having a first round choice to the NHL doesn't get you 50K from that team anymore like it used to.

And time to stop blaming the 2007 draft for all our problems, I am so f'ing sick of hearing how that is the problem.....many other teams totally turn it around in 2 years it has been 5 years since that draft, and if that draft was any good those players would be gone to the pro ranks anyways, so forget about the 2007 draft!!

heres to hoping they can have a good year and turn this ship around!!
    Quinney has said he's likely playing in PA this yr, see what happens.

As for Quinney, he doesn't have to sign until it's go time in fall. It would be nice for Bruno to get it done now, but Quinney may be waiting to see how he stacks up in fall when main camp rolls around before he commits. Come fall, he has to be all in or there are others willing and ready to take his place as a Raider. I personally like to see players commit right off to show belief in the team and confidence in themselves. As for development money, last I heard NHL teams still paid out. Not only are potential draft picks important for the Raiders financially (if in fact money does still come in), the fact we develop draft picks also helps in the recruiting and signing of rookie players. If Danyluk, Winther, Mcveigh, Lange, Santucci...etc....get drafted after a tough year, then Morrissey, Braid, Perreaux, Guenther (if 2013 eligible) and any other 2013 draft eligible players have a good chance also with a winning season this year. That shows the Gardiners, Vanstones, etc., that PA is the place to play to have a chance to prove yourself and get noticed.

I e-mailed one of the managers at the Raiders about the "payments for prospects" issue.

A) The NHL does pay a development grant to the league every year.

B) Teams themselves no longer pay annually for a prospect BUT they do pay a one-time fee when they draft a player...sounds like a five figure amount that is dependent on where the player is drafted at.

So getting a player drafted IS still important to the bottom line of a club, at least in the year that the player is drafted.

-Wapitikev
    Last edited by Wapitikev; 06-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.

That's what I thought. I think there is of course different levels of money depending on what round, but not sure if there is a limit....nothing after round 3 for example. Good detective work Wapi. Here's to a prosperous draft this year and years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by the voice View Post
    That's what I thought. I think there is of course different levels of money depending on what round, but not sure if there is a limit....nothing after round 3 for example. Good detective work Wapi. Here's to a prosperous draft this year and years to come.
    Cheers to that!

Do you think that Danyluk, Mcveigh, Lange, Santucci have a chance to be drafted this year, despite being eligible?

McVeigh has the best stats (still not great) after a good part of the season playing with McNeill, Bardero and Maylan, but Danyluk has the most talent (I am REALLY looking forward to seeing how good he becomes after an entire year of development without a major, freak injury).

-Wapitikev

They are eligible, but not all likely to go of course. I look at McVeigh and could see a late rounder because of skill set. I would say Danyluk could be called based on the fact he is a solid 2 way player derailed by injury, but if nobody picks him, I'd say he is looked at closely before the season is out. Others may need more ice and responsibilities to garner interest in the future. That's where a good season may turn some of the Raiders into 2013 and 2014 picks or signings. I'm not saying players like Quinney need to base whether or not to report on how many players get drafted. He should consider the fact it's a great league, a great place to play, with great fans. It'll be even better when the winning starts this season. As with all returning players and new prospects, he'd be coming in at a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by the voice View Post
    They are eligible, but not all likely to go of course. I look at McVeigh and could see a late rounder because of skill set. I would say Danyluk could be called based on the fact he is a solid 2 way player derailed by injury, but if nobody picks him, I'd say he is looked at closely before the season is out. Others may need more ice and responsibilities to garner interest in the future. That's where a good season may turn some of the Raiders into 2013 and 2014 picks or signings. I'm not saying players like Quinney need to base whether or not to report on how many players get drafted. He should consider the fact it's a great league, a great place to play, with great fans. It'll be even better when the winning starts this season. As with all returning players and new prospects, he'd be coming in at a good time.
    If Danyluk is not drafted then he is still draft eligible next summer, correct? Some kids always seem to garner draft attention as 19yos for whatever reason (late bloomer, injury as in D-luck's case). If no one takes a flyer on him this summer in the late rounds, then I think he could easily go in the late 2nd round in 2013...that's how good I think he'll be this year.

Serves the NHL teams right to have to pay more in 2013 if none of them have the good sense to take him for less this year.

Unfortunately, regarding players from outside of Canada (US, Euros, etc)...my impression is that they seem to be mostly about "...how fast you can get me to the NHL." WHL Bantam draftees are convinced (or not) to come here by the things you mentioned but this isn't the 80s...those things are not not the major reason that a young kid is going to come between 1/4 to 1/2 way around the planet from his home country to play here. If they make that commitment then they want a reasonable assurance that they will get paid, in a few years.

Selfish buggers!

Heh.

But, seriously though, I don't know Gage Quinney from Adam, and I'm sure he is a great kid (his dad was from Alberta, not?) but any kid in his position has a huge decision to make and SHOULD be considering all his options (USJ program, NCAA, WHL) prior to committing here in the fall...he's choosing the best path for his future and I don't fault him for taking his time.

WE know that his best path to a bright future educationally and hockey-wise runs through PA...he's just getting sure in his own mind.

I hope he starts grade 12 here in the fall and lights up the WHL as a Raider.

Given the quality of the last bantam draft (players Quinney would start playing with in 13/14), the imminent 16yos (Quinney didn't see Gardiner, right? I heard Gardiner was sick), and the returning veterans, I agree with you...there seems to have been no better time in the last decade to be a young Raider player.

DoubleDogDang...summer just started and I already wish it was September!

-Wapitikev

So we've touched base with the frontrunners for a spot this year. Quinney, Vanstone, Gardiner, Meyer?, Lorange....Any other prospects or older free agents at camp that looked good? How was Dea if there? Others?

Apparently Dea was there...but I wasn't (home indoors with a summer cold).

There's a comment about most of the standouts in the Rookie Camp thread.

-Wapitikev
    Last edited by Wapitikev; 06-12-2012 at 09:26 PM.

I didn't hear if Welykholowa (16) or Odelein (17) were there...if so they must not have stood out very far...no one mentioned anything about them.

-Wapitikev