Thread: Training Camp Begins

Default Training Camp Begins

The beginning is finally here. I'm anxious to see how our new crop falls into place this year. It will be a year of passing the torch up front, and the list of suitors is a mile long. this week will be the start of guys like Hawriwlyk(probably botched the spelling badly), Lindgren, Maguire, Starodub and company stamping their place on the new look offense of the Wheat Kings.

Riley Van Horne will try to crack a crowded defensive core, while new head coach Dwayne Gylywoychuk decides if 2 overage defencemen or just 1 will be needed this season.

Jordan Papirny will attempt to make a case for himself to crack the lineup as a 16 year old backup goalie.

Personally, I like Papirny's chances to be the backup this year. Which rookie are you all gonna be watching during camp?
    @Wheatiemaniac on twitter.

Anybody make it to the camp this morning? I was planning on going but ended up sleeping in.

Default Taylor Cooper

Looks like this kid is ready to nail down a spot early. I will be interested to see how long he can keep it up. He's finding the net alot in camp and hopefully he can translate that forward when the games start for real.

4. Default

Looks like your boy Cooper is doing alright. Lots of notes from Brandon camp
    http://whlforum.com/index.cgi?board=brandon

Default Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by WesternHockeyScout View Post
    Looks like your boy Cooper is doing alright. Lots of notes from Brandon camp
    http://whlforum.com/index.cgi?board=brandon
    He just plays so much more calmly than he did last year. Another player who has surprised me this year is D Riley Van Horne. At 16, he seems to be making a strong case for himself. But with 6 roster guys returning from last year, plus Yaworski, it's a wait and see for this kid.

There are so many high end prospects it wouldn't surprise me if a couple were packaged up to nab another proven scorer up front.

Former WheatKing Mike Ferland

as per Bruce Luebke via twitter

Bruce Luebke ‏@wheatkingsvoice
    Former #BWK & #bdnmb product Michael Ferland has had his aggravated assault case put over for two weeks. The matter adjourned to Sept. 18.

Default Ferland Case

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    Former WheatKing Mike Ferland

as per Bruce Luebke via twitter

Bruce Luebke ‏@wheatkingsvoice
    Former #BWK & #bdnmb product Michael Ferland has had his aggravated assault case put over for two weeks. The matter adjourned to Sept. 18.
    It was apparently put over by the prosecution, which would make one think they are either trying to locate more witnesses or their case is starting to crumble.

I think it will end up coming out that Michael was not the one who instigated or committed the assault.

I believe it will go away soon and he can get back to playing hockey.

8. Default Wheat King Roster

Quenneville and Hehn missing off the Wheat King roster on their website.

9. Default Hehn now back...

Quote Originally Posted by Crush Kill Destroy View Post
    Quenneville and Hehn missing off the Wheat King roster on their website.
    Duplication of jersey numbers may be the problem...

Hehn, Smith, Gervais, Favreau, Paps cut this morning