Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp - thoughts and questions

Default Training Camp - thoughts and questions

Quote Originally Posted by Sttop View Post
    I have been very impressed with the 97 s . Guhle. Mcbride. Gennero. Miller. And srewart have all been very good . Aside from Leon, miller and Gennero may be the most dangerous forwards. If Miller keeps his head in the game he will be great
    It's good to see everything right with the world/site again.

I was doing some training camp bingo this am at the Scrimmage (checking off the jersey numbers to the Team-Blue roster-sheet) and the only d-man that I didn't see on the ice was 8 Marshal Burr...which leaves me thinking that red-WHL-jersey-guy is Burr, not Finnson (#6).

So, if it is Burr, you can add him to the list of competent '97s.

...looks like the best draft for Derkatch (and his team) so far.

Off to catch tonight's game.

...and it's good to be back.

-Wapitikev

Player wearing red is Burr

Quote Originally Posted by Sabes View Post
    Player wearing red is Burr

Couldn't find a red smilie.

How did you like Miller vs Odeline?

-Wapitikev

Miller has Penner talent and temper from t
    he looks of it

Miller has Penner talent and temper from t
    he looks of it
    Hope he smartens up faster than Penner. He coasts sometimes without the puck when I'd expect him to go get in there and come out with it. Has good speed, though, and lots of talent. Hope he makes main camp.

Not terribly excited about Laquette...couldn't skate backwards well at practice yesterday am. Got beat during drills more than once because of it. Makes good hockey decisions, mostly, though.

-Wapitikev
    Last edited by Wapitikev; 08-30-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapitikev View Post
    Hope he smartens up faster than Penner. He coasts sometimes without the puck when I'd expect him to go get in there and come out with it. Has good speed, though, and lots of talent. Hope he makes main camp.

Not terribly excited about Laquette...couldn't skate backwards well at practice yesterday am. Got beat during drills more than once because of it. Makes good hockey decisions, mostly, though.

-Wapitikev
    Just wondering but u realize miller is a 15 year old 6th round pick right? He has outplayed gardiner and vanstone badly . And i am saying that on both ends of the ice.

Just wondering but u realize miller is a 15 year old 6th round pick right? He has outplayed gardiner and vanstone badly . And i am saying that on both ends of the ice.
    Miller has the same off ice ishues as Penner did Miller is still a young guy he will be a good 1 a lot of skill and possible steal where you got him

Yes he was drafted this year and hacked a linesman a month later.

Didn't you say he wouldn't make it to main camp a few posts back (on the other board)? Looks to me like he should (as I said last night).

Penner never got his head on straight...Miller has a chance to...time will tell.

Yes Miller is talented but he also missed the net a lot after getting breakaways. He needs to continue to develop his talent after having most of last year off. I'm not saying he's floating but I just want a little more from him so he can be great instead of just very good.

Outplaying Vanstone is not that hard, since he has Vanstone's grit but is bigger and much more talented.

Gardiner looked pretty good passing to Draisaitl tonight on their two rushes...but Gardiner is not a tough-guy and will likely never be one at his size.

If Miller can get (keep?) his head on straight and work hard this year then he'll have Gardiner's skill and Vanstone's grit and will therefore be better than either of them.

...but he's not there yet and he has a long way to go to make the Raiders next fall.

I congratulate Dale for taking a chance on him.

-Wapitikev
    Last edited by Wapitikev; 08-30-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Default Missing in action

So, after the red-jersey-mystery was solved, Burr did not dress for tonight's game.

Shortly after serving his fighting major, Odeline left the game and did not return. His team finished the game with only 5 defensemen.

Zentner, Yaremchuk, Welykholowa and Matthew Wass also have not seen any scrimmage action. Zentner wasn't even at the first practice. Yaremchuk apparently was at the first practice. I'm not sure of Wely or Wass.

It still may be difficult to get down to 15 rookies to advance to main camp.

-Wapitikev

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    Miller has the same off ice ishues as Penner did Miller is still a young guy he will be a good 1 a lot of skill and possible steal where you got him
    He is definitely a steal if he makes good decisions from here-on-in.

But, as Sttop said, all the drafts from this year that played (2 were injured) looked very good against the 16 and 17yos.

Riley Dupre, Reed Gunville, Conor Yawney and Jarod Hilderman (all '97s) did quite well for camp-invites and it wouldn't surprise me if some of them get listed.

Dale Derkatch's scouting group is developing quite nicely.

-Wapitikev