Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp - thoughts and questions

are u talking about waselenko? cuz hes with the vets

Quote Originally Posted by Sttop View Post
    are u talking about waselenko? cuz hes with the vets
    No.

I'm talking about Matthew Wass...#21 on the Blue roster who didn't play a minute of scrimmage time.

And, yes, I am aware that Waseylenko has a main camp invite and (as a 19yo) was not skating with the rookies.

-Wapitkev

So who should the 15 be to advance?

We need at least 2 goalies to advance.

McBride was the best goalie but Phaneuf's lateral movement was far better today, he is as big as McBride, and he won the last game in the shootout.

Parenteau is a lock, even though his style reminds me of Luongo...finishing off too many plays laying on his belly.

Will moving on help McBride or Phanuef more.

McBride must know, barring some catastophic setback, that he is the Raiders starting goalie in 2014-15...and likely the backup next fall (13/14)...but since he can only play a handful of games this year, why advance him?

And I don't think that Phaneuf is as awful as his stats last year suggest (his whole team was awful).

If I were coaching, I'd want to see how his huge frame and average skill fares against the veterans.

Plus, thinking ahead, if Siemens or Holowenko gets hurt this year, whose more likely to get called up, Parenteau who will be the key starter for the provincial championship contending Contacts or Phanuef who's team is so awful they won't miss him and he won't miss them?

My choices: Parentau and Phaneuf move on. I'd like them to take all three, though.

We could use 5 or 6 D-men to advance.

1 Tyler Dea: best D-man on team Yellow (aka: team facial hair).
    2 Mackenzie Stewart: The incredible Hulk! He moves up. Let's see how he does against guys his size.
    3 Ghule ('97)
    4 Finnson
    5 Laquette
    Burr (also a '97) outplayed Laquette but Burr didn't dress for tonight's game so he's likely injured.

Honourable mention: Ben Verrall (16yo)...tall kid who plays smart but needs to fill his frame out to make the W...makes good decisions and hits when he needs to. Listed player...could be a steal in future years if he gets thicker.

That leaves 8 forwards (or 7 if we advance 3 goalies or 6 d-men):

1 Draisaitl
    2 Miller ('97)
    3 Gennaro ('97)
    4 Gardiner
    5 Vanstone
    6 Meyer
    7 Osczevski (Mintos) small, but many of his plays work
    8 ?
    There could be a bunch of names for that last question mark...Middagh was average as was Sigurdson, and McMann. Dupre is yet another '97 and is an agitator. Zach Foesch is 18 (the oldest kid at rookie camp)...didn't see him much until the last game but he put a lightning-bolt through the legs of McBride as the first shootout shooter.

Anyone I missed (probably).

-Wapitikev
    Last edited by Wapitikev; 08-30-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapitikev View Post
    No.

I'm talking about Matthew Wass...#21 on the Blue roster who didn't play a minute of scrimmage time.

And, yes, I am aware that Waseylenko has a main camp invite and (as a 19yo) was not skating with the rookies.

-Wapitkev
    ...and Matthew Wass is a forward while Mat Waseylenko is a D-man.

Good thing that Wass was a no-show...only one of them could ever make the team because it would be too darned confusing.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Jeff D'andrea reports in his most recent article on PANow.com that there will be 17 players moving up to main camp on Friday...that's up from 15 as reported yesterday.

It will be interesting to see who the extra two are and at what position.

-Wapitikev

Some kids will be gone because of their midget team try outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabes View Post
    Some kids will be gone because of their midget team try outs.
    McBride will be staying for main camp.

Verrall got promoted and Laquette didn't. They also promoted Tanner Johnson from team yellow.

In addition to the forwards I listed, the coaches added McMann, Magalas, Law, Middagh, Lueken and Stewart.

So that would be 21 rookies promoted to main camp.

...and no Grundy.

-Wapitikev
    Last edited by Wapitikev; 08-31-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Default Random thoughts about Friday's scrimmage

Hope Miller is okay, he hurt his left leg at the very end of the game and could put very little weight on it leaving the ice, under his own power though.

Vanstone had a good hit on Miller much earlier in the game but Miller popped right back up.

Mike Winther, who left the practice early this am, played the whole scrimmage tonight.

Holowenko had a bad first period. Parenteau was better in the second and third.

Oscveski (Minto) had one (pretty) goal of yellow's 7.

Draisaitl = sniper.

Mackenzie Stewart still looked good against guys his own size.

Bobby McMann surprised me on one play, slipping the defensemen for a shot.

Siemens and McBride = solid.

I'm out.

-Wapitikev

Quote Originally Posted by Wapitikev View Post
    Hope Miller is okay, he hurt his left leg at the very end of the game and could put very little weight on it leaving the ice, under his own power though.

Vanstone had a good hit on Miller much earlier in the game but Miller popped right back up.

Mike Winther, who left the practice early this am, played the whole scrimmage tonight.

Holowenko had a bad first period. Parenteau was better in the second and third.

Oscveski (Minto) had one (pretty) goal of yellow's 7.

Draisaitl = sniper.

Mackenzie Stewart still looked good against guys his own size.

Bobby McMann surprised me on one play, slipping the defensemen for a shot.

Siemens and McBride = solid.

I'm out.

-Wapitikev
    I hear some have said Drat is the German Gretzky and broke a lot of Marco Sturms German records

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    I hear some have said Drat is the German Gretzky and broke a lot of Marco Sturms German records
    He's big, skates extremely well, keeps his head up and has outstanding hockey skills. He's rookie of the year material.

Very fun to watch.

-Wapitikev