Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp - thoughts and questions

I am starting to really like Mackenze Stewart! He's a big 17 year old D man at 6'3 , 225lbs. A little work on his skating and getting use to the speed of the WHL and this kid could be a diamond in the rough.

Stewart showed that he was willing to fight by asking Braid to go this morning at camp. Although he lost the fight at least he was back out a few shifts later playing the same way. I'd say out of the new Defenseman in camp he will be staying forsure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapitikev View Post
    Hope Miller is okay, he hurt his left leg at the very end of the game and could put very little weight on it leaving the ice, under his own power though.

Vanstone had a good hit on Miller much earlier in the game but Miller popped right back up.

Mike Winther, who left the practice early this am, played the whole scrimmage tonight.

Holowenko had a bad first period. Parenteau was better in the second and third.

Oscveski (Minto) had one (pretty) goal of yellow's 7.

Draisaitl = sniper.

Mackenzie Stewart still looked good against guys his own size.

Bobby McMann surprised me on one play, slipping the defensemen for a shot.

Siemens and McBride = solid.

I'm out.

-Wapitikev
    Miller was not at this morning's skate. FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderfan8 View Post
    I am starting to really like Mackenze Stewart! He's a big 17 year old D man at 6'3 , 225lbs. A little work on his skating and getting use to the speed of the WHL and this kid could be a diamond in the rough.

Stewart showed that he was willing to fight by asking Braid to go this morning at camp. Although he lost the fight at least he was back out a few shifts later playing the same way. I'd say out of the new Defenseman in camp he will be staying forsure.
    Big Mac (as I've taken to calling Mackenzie Stewart) has been one of the nicest surprises at camp this year. As has Osczeski.

I hope both will make the team.

Sad to hear about Miller. Wouldn't surprise me to hear that he's on the shelf for a while.

Good to see Lange get 2 goals, he's also a favourite of mine for the team this year.

Thanks for scrimmage update, as well...I cannot make any of the games today and I'm missing, horribly, the opportunity to see the prospects before they go back to Midget/JHL.

-Wapitikev
    Last edited by Wapitikev; 09-01-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of Osczeski's name

I see Corbin didn't figure in any of the scoring this am...how did he play defensively?

-Wapitikev

Corbin played solid Defense both scrimmages.
    He's paired with the weakest D- partner on team yellow and did a nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by puckdad View Post
    Corbin played solid Defense both scrimmages.
    He's paired with the weakest D- partner on team yellow and did a nice job.
    So he's playing with Baer, then?

Maybe there's hope for him yet.

I made it to the game, tonight...looks like he's playing with Verrall now.

-Wapitikev

Played with verrall all weekend so far. Lange is playing with Baer now - he played with Wasylenko in the 1st 2 Games.
    Corbin got a nice assist in the 1st, then played erratically in the 2nd.
    Couple of bad giveaways and gave up a break-away.
    It would be nice to see everyone mix up the D-partners
    and see how they fare paired with someone new.
    Last edited by puckdad; 09-01-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding sentence

2nd has been the Sloppiest period of hockey so far.
    You can tell who is in shape and who's legs are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by puckdad View Post
    2nd has been the Sloppiest period of hockey so far.
    You can tell who is in shape and who's legs are finished.
    Agreed...at least the rookies had an excuse...6 games in 4 days going all-out to try to make the team.

I think this was the first game that Draisaitl hasn't scored a goal.

And it was great to see Miller back on the ice AND I hear he scored the first goal of the game, no less!

Parenteau looked strong in the third but lost in the shootout. McBride looked human on one goal in the second half...but only one bad goal in 6 games is amazing no matter how you slice it.

Good on Danyluk getting the shootout winner.

One more day before final cuts...

I'll make my predictions tomorrow night.

-Wapitikev

i am a little disapointed with how the 96s have progressed. parentau and myer are the closest to whl ready imo. parentau has out played holewenko pretty badly and deserves to make the club out of camp. if myer also stays there would be no rush on gardiner or vanstone.