Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp - thoughts and questions

That's funny because I don't find Meyer has really done anything to make the team. Bigger kid and good skater but not physical. Kinda reminds me of a Brock Balson. In saying that tho Gardiner and Vanstone have done nothing to impress in main camp either.( I agree with you there ) . I personally feel this is due to having back to back camps ! Seven ice times in four days is probably pretty hard on these young men. Obviously the decision to keep the 16 year olds will be made during the 3 or 4 exhibition games.

Looking forward to the inter-squad game at 1PM !
    Last edited by Raiderfan8; 09-02-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Here's my prediction

Siemens
    Parenteau

Morrissey
    Ruopp
    Hodder
    Gwinner
    Lang
    Waseylenko
    Stewart

Mcneill
    Bardaro
    Draisaitl
    Winther
    Knutsen
    Danyluk
    Braid
    Mcveigh
    Perreaux
    Santucci
    Meyer
    Mahura
    Oscveski

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderfan8 View Post
    That's funny because I don't find Meyer has really done anything to make the team. Bigger kid and good skater but not physical. Kinda reminds me of a Brock Balson. In saying that tho Gardiner and Vanstone have done nothing to impress in main camp either.( I agree with you there ) . I personally feel this is due to having back to back camps ! Seven ice times in four days is probably pretty hard on these young men. Obviously the decision to keep the 16 year olds will be made during the 3 or 4 exhibition games.

Looking forward to the inter-squad game at 1PM !
    Agreed about the level of tiredness.

Gardiner is an undeveloped Maylan. He will look much better when he has some rest and regular linemates to pass the puck to (his best shifts were when he was feeding Draisaitl).

Vanstone is and undeveloped Braid. But he needs time at this level to develop into a Braid-like player.

While we are on Braid, he has impressed me this camp with his increased scoring talent...people scoffed when I had him on the 2nd line this fall, but at this point he's looking like a stronger candidate for that than Danyluk is.

Meyer I haven't quite pegged him yet...he's closest to Perreaux...flashes of talent and a big frame but not really sure how to use either on a regular basis. Since we already have Perreaux then we may not need his clone.

Agreed that Parenteau has outplayed Holowenko at camp. Problem is, if he backs-up this year, does he project good enough to be a starter next year, @ 17, when McBride comes up?

Possible, but unlikely.

On the other hand, being the starter for the Contacts this year will let him get an idea of what the pressures of being a starter are...but that's not the same as starting regularly at this level.

Again possible but unlikely.

If I had to choose, I guess I'd take the selfish way out and keep Parenteau here as backup and let him get used to shooters at this level...and hope that the mass exodus of talent from the WHL, next September (when the 2012 AND 2013 NHL draft classes all move up) makes it easier on whoever gets the starting job next fall.

-Wapitikev

Quote Originally Posted by Sttop View Post
    Here's my prediction

Siemens
    Parenteau

Morrissey
    Ruopp
    Hodder
    Gwinner
    Lang
    Waseylenko
    Stewart

Mcneill
    Bardaro
    Draisaitl
    Winther
    Knutsen
    Danyluk
    Braid
    Mcveigh
    Perreaux
    Santucci
    Meyer
    Mahura
    Oscveski
    A good list in almost all regards...not a big Knutsen fan but we'll see. I particularly like the fact that Corbin is not on your list.

But I don't think that the squad has to be down to 23 (I think you have 22) until the end of pre-season. Assuming they can carry 27 for pre-season, I predict they'll add Gardiner, Vanstone, Dea, and, unfortunately, Corbin [Wolverton]. If they can carry more than that they'll likely add either McMann or Leuken.

Gennaro, Miller, Ghule and McBride are all excellent (and the team is in good shape for next fall with them coming up) but I don't think they'll keep any 15yos for this pre-season.

As far as the regular season goes, I think we are stuck with Corbin and I'd be very surprised if one of Waseylenko/Hodder stays instead of him.

Regular season forwards will likely have Gardiner as one of the 14, and I'm not completely sold on Meyer yet..he's tied in my mind with Vanstone, McMann and Leuken.

Overall, though our lists are almost identical.

-Wapitikev

some players reassigned. no real suprises listed be
    sides naybe Dea

Where you see the list of releases?

there is no list

Overall camp has left the impression that (again this year) we will be a high scoring team with lots of goals against...hopefully half as many as last year, though.

PANow reports that Middaugh, Baer and Johnson were re-assigned prior to the game (which explains their absence from the rosters).

By my reckoning, Riley Guenther scored on his own goal and, after getting benched for the rest of that period, he took a penalty on his first shift in the next period. His chances of making the team are likely shrinking.

On the other hand, Reid Gardiner had his best game last night. I've never bought into the "generational talent" that Gardiner has been labelled with (he's too one-dimensional right now to project that well). However, he is a talented player...like Maylan his passing makes linemates better. Gardiner @ 20 will be better than Maylan was, last year...the question is how much.

He looked right at home with Osczeski and Gennaro. They were the second best group on the ice. Too bad that Gennaro doesn't turn 16 until March 30th, 2013...maybe we can use him in the playoffs.

In the meantime, I can't wait to see Braid or Perreaux with the Gardiner and Osczeski. Danyluk would be a third choice.

Other players turning 16 early-on next year: Nick McBride turns 16 on January 11th. Whoever is the backup by the trade deadline better be looking over their shoulder.

Of course that will leave us with McBride and Parenteau battling for the starter's spot next fall. A far better problem to have than in past years.

Another player to watch for next winter is Miller...he turns 16 on February 25th. Although, at that point, our top 12 better already have us making the playoffs (barring injuries, of course).

Back to the line-chemistry last night...Winther, McNeil and Draisaitl did not seem to be clicking at all...they put up points but were not as dominant as one would expect those three to be. After some much deserved rest, Leon should return to early-camp form. Here's hoping that line gels in the next three weeks.

Which leaves who on Bardero's line? Who cares. Whoever he was playing with last night was the best line on the ice. Someone will win the lottery here. Likely either Braid, Perreaux, Danyluk (hoping for him to break out but didn't show as much as I'd have liked), Knutsen (= stupid penalties, not my fave) or McVeigh.

That gives the team three legitimate scoring lines. Not a bad situation, as long as they all see ice (let us hope that last years focus on only 2 lines is a thing of the past).

On to Defense, I was very high on Waseylenko coming into camp...he has not lived up to my expectations. He is on the bubble with Big Mac playing so well.

If Dea was re-assigned it will be interesting to see who stayed...he got an assist last night and played better than some.

...waiting for the press release.

-Wapitikev

excited to see how "big mack" progresses. word is that he has only pkayed hockey for 5 yeats. glad he made the team

here is what is left on defence from my understanding

corbin
    morrissey
    ruopp
    lang
    guenther
    hodder
    gwinner
    stewart
    waseylenko
    guhle

i would expect the bottom 7 will play against the blades