The Kelowna Rockets announce that 20-year-old player Spencer Main has decided to step away from the team and the WHL due to recurring symptoms from a previous concussion.

Main suffered a concussion early in the 2011-12 WHL season and sat out the Rockets final 60 games. In the off-season he was medically cleared to work out and return to the ice but his symptoms returned after participating in games at Rockets training camp.

“I did everything possible to make sure I was ready and prepared for the season,” said Main.” But nothing can get you ready for game contact and that’s when my symptoms returned. I have to put my health first and I need to be 100 per cent before I can think about coming back.”

Rockets president and general manager Bruce Hamilton says the team will miss Main’s leadership and character but added the most important thing is Spencer’s health.

“It’s a big loss for our organization but we’re going to do what is in the best interest of Spencer Main,” said Hamilton. “The best thing for him now is to step away from the game and try to get healthy.”

http://www.kelownarockets.com/articl...health-reasons