Thread: CANES TRAINING CAMP

Default CANES TRAINING CAMP

Just a little bored so I did some quick math and here is the scoring from the Canes Camp. Only the points earned after the merger of the rookies and vets into 4 teams is included. There are others who may have got some points but I mostly just used the vets and other highly rated rookies etc.

NAME G A TOTAL

BLOMQVIST, Axle 2 9 11
    MERKLEY 2 8 10
    HOOD 5 3 8
    SOFILLAS 3 5 8
    MAXWELL 3 4 7
    YAKUBOWSKI 3 4 7
    CHARTIER 1 4 5
    BLOMQVIST, Albin 2 2 4
    HARPER 3 1 4
    LAURENCELLE 1 3 4
    NEMETH 0 4 4
    RAMSEY 1 3 4
    WONG 3 1 4
    JOHNSTON 2 1 3
    LEVERTON 1 2 3
    LENCHYSEN 0 3 3
    McKECHNIE 2 1 3
    RUFF, D 1 2 3
    WATSON 3 0 3
    DUKE 2 0 2
    PILON 2 0 2
    ERKAMPS 1 0 1
    GALBRAITH 0 1 1
    OLYNEK 0 1 1
    ESTEPHAN 0 0 0
    TOPPING 0 0 0

Nice surprise to see Axle B on the top of that list. I am also glad Merkley ended up that high. Jay had a terrible finish last year as he had virtually no points in his last dozen or so games. Interesting to see Estephan with no points after he ripped it up in the rookie games.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Default My views on Training Camp/1st Exhibition Game

Few things I've seen:

Axel Blomqvist-Absolute Beast out there. Pretty speedy, just a monster out there, no one could touch him! Pretty sweet hands too.

Spencer Galbraith-Really brought up his game. He has developed sooo much offensively since last season! Always leading rushes, and creating scoring chances. If he was a little taller and little heavier, he could easily be one of the top dmen in the league.

Ryan Pilon- Could also be one of the best dmen in the league in a couple years. Great defensively, and one hell of a shot from the point.

Jay Merkley- Really, really, really picked up his game from last year. Great passing, and strong offensive game.

Reid Duke-A little dissapointed to be honest. From what I've seen this year, he almost kinda looks lost on the ice, which is weird because he played lots of Dub games last year. But, I know he has it in him, and should see great things from him.

Tyler Wong-One of the best players I've seen yet. Fast, and the puck just seems to find his stick and he finds a way to get it to the net. Should definately make the team, no question.

Michael Sofillas: Could be our #1 forward this year. Super quick and a great offensive mindset. Will be exciting to watch!

Backup goalie situation- This is a spot where we might be in trouble. Ever since last season, Kovacs has really looked shaky and unconfident, and it carried on to this year. Tai I thought had a really strong training camp, but when they put him in the Exhibition game, he looked shaky and out of place. Hopefully it was just nervousness, and I think it was, because he did have a couple beauty saves in the game. I hope Tai is our backup, but I think Kovacs will be based on experience.

My Ideal Team for this year (Ignoring positions)
    Goalies:
    Rimmer,Tai

Dmen
    Johnston, Galbraith, Erkamps, Al. Blomqvist, Pilon, Topping, Sutton

Forwards
    Hood, Merkley, Ramsay, Yakubowski, Sofillas, Watson, McKechnie, Ax. Blomqvist, Maxwell, Leverton, Duke, Wong, Laurencelle, Olynek

I also still think though that we need a top 6 18 year old scoring forward. We have the assets to do it, and I really think it could improve our team this season, and for the next 2 seasons, not to mention mentor the younger players.

Default Game vs Red Deer

I went up to the game in Innisfail. Canes played well. Canes sat a number of vets but Red Deer did not put out a weak team, Dumba and Inglis were in the lineup. The young guys had speed and good pressure but goal scoring is going to be an issue as the lack of finish is pretty clear. Lots of easy scoring chances missed. Young guys that impressed were Wong Duke Laurencelle and Bloomqvist. Olynek showed some positive signs too but is so small. On D Topping and Pilon looked pretty good.
    Best two players on the ice were Rimmer and Johnston. Rimmer looks so smooth. Johnston set up the only goal on the PP and was pounding guys out there....and won every battle.

Still early but if the team could add a player who can help with scoring it could be an interesting and exciting year.

Default Canes 16/17 year olds etc

The Canes have so much 16 and 17 year old talent there will be a few kids who will get sent down just because of the sheer number of young players trying out for the Hurricanes. Some of the 16/17 year olds could and maybe should play in the WHL, but they will fall victim to the numbers game. Let’s take Wong and Olynek for an example. They are not big tough grinders but are good offensively so they either make it as a top 6 forward or one or both may get sent down. I think both of them could play in the Dub this year. Pilon and Duke I am sure are locks to make the team as 16 year olds.

Watson, Erkamps, Merkley, Blomqvist, Topping and Laurencelle are some of the 17 year olds who should make the Canes Roster. If either Wong or Olynek stick with the big club, that is nine 16/17 year olds. There are even a few other 17 year olds who may make the team due to their size, toughness and checking abilities. That would mean 10 or 11 16/17 year olds. The Canes already sent a couple kids down who may make a line-up on some other team that needs more young kids.

I for one really like the fact Lethbridge has stuck to their guns, taken a beating for a few years and now have talent oozing all over the ice. Having said that, this is the year they need to take some major strides forward and make the playoffs. With all of the talented 16/17 year olds (not even mentioning all of the 15 year old talent they have in the bank), it is time for Preston to pull the trigger on a major deal and swap some of the plethora of talent and draft picks we have accumulated for 1 or 2 high end players. THE CANES NEED SOME SCORING IN THEIR LINE-UP. I think you will see a major trade occur after a couple of weeks or a month or two, after Preston has evaluated exactly what he has to work with. Imagine how much better players like Merkley and Duke etc. will become if they have a proven 40 goal scorer with them on their line and/or the PP.

I stated earlier that the trade Preston made for Ty Rimmer may be the best deal he has ever made. I know it is very early in the season, but just look at Rimmers’ numbers already. W 2 L 0 GAA 1.00 SP .967 . . . A top notch goalie can do so much for the confidence of a young team that he is probably worth at least 10 points if not more in the standings. A proven 40 goal scorer will make as much of a difference as Rimmer will. Why trade for Rimmer and not make other moves to shoot for about 5th or 6th in the East with a very young team? If Preston can swing a deal for a 40 goal scorer the CANES WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS and could even do some damage for a round or two.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 09-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

5. Icon34 Well said

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    The Canes have so much 16 and 17 year old talent there will be a few kids who will get sent down just because of the sheer number of young players trying out for the Hurricanes. Some of the 16/17 year olds could and maybe should play in the WHL, but they will fall victim to the numbers game. Let’s take Wong and Olynek for an example. They are not big tough grinders but are good offensively so they either make it as a top 6 forward or one or both may get sent down. I think both of them could play in the Dub this year. Pilon and Duke I am sure are locks to make the team as 16 year olds.

Watson, Erkamps, Merkley, Blomqvist, Topping and Laurencelle are some of the 17 year olds who should make the Canes Roster. If either Wong or Olynek stick with the big club, that is nine 16/17 year olds. There are even a few other 17 year olds who may make the team due to their size, toughness and checking abilities. That would mean 10 or 11 16/17 year olds. The Canes already sent a couple kids down who may make a line-up on some other team that needs more young kids.

I for one really like the fact Lethbridge has stuck to their guns, taken a beating for a few years and now have talent oozing all over the ice. Having said that, this is the year they need to take some major strides forward and make the playoffs. With all of the talented 16/17 year olds (not even mentioning all of the 15 year old talent they have in the bank), it is time for Preston to pull the trigger on a major deal and swap some of the plethora of talent and draft picks we have accumulated for 1 or 2 high end players. THE CANES NEED SOME SCORING IN THEIR LINE-UP. I think you will see a major trade occur after a couple of weeks or a month or two, after Preston has evaluated exactly what he has to work with. Imagine how much better players like Merkley and Duke etc. will become if they have a proven 40 goal scorer with them on their line and/or the PP.

I stated earlier that the trade Preston made for Ty Rimmer may be the best deal he has ever made. I know it is very early in the season, but just look at Rimmers’ numbers already. W 2 L 0 GAA 1.00 SP .967 . . . A top notch goalie can do so much for the confidence of a young team that he is probably worth at least 10 points if not more in the standings. A proven 40 goal scorer will make as much of a difference as Rimmer will. Why trade for Rimmer and not make other moves to shoot for about 5th or 6th in the East with a very young team? If Preston can swing a deal for a 40 goal scorer the CANES WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS and could even do some damage for a round or two.

My biggest issue is that Preston never drafted a goalie high in the 95 group or in any drafts after. If Albin is gone next season we can draft a Euro goalie for our starter. Other than that I agree that we seem to be set. If Phil wouldn't have left I don't believe we would have needed that major deal. I hope Preston keeps Watson, Duke and Wong as a line. I believe they can develop into the most exciting line in the W for years to come.

Default projections/roles

Which players fit which roles?
    Who are first liners? Hood, Maxwell, Ramsey?
    Who are second liners? Merkley, Soffilas, Bloomquist?
    Yakabowski, McKechnie, Laurencelle, Watson, Harper, Leverton taking up the third and fourth line duties along with PK duties? I could see most of those 6 in the 40 to 50 point range.
    Duke and Wong drawing in on occasion? Duke is too good not to be a regular isn't he?
    Is Harper the guy who sits more regularily even at 18? Is Duke top 6?
    What's your opinion?
    Defense
    Pilon, Galbraith, Topping, Sutton, Johnston, Hackman, Bloomquist, Erkamps.
    Johnston and Bloomquist, top pairing?
    Pilon and Galbraith, second pairing?
    Erkamps and Topping, third?
    Pilon and Johnston top PP unit?
    Galbraith and Bloomquist top PK unit?
    Love your thoughts.

Team lost last night but showed a lot and dominated for much of the game in my opinion. Looks like a different culture than when I last saw them 2 years ago.
    Cheers
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    Which players fit which roles?
    Who are first liners? Hood, Maxwell, Ramsey?
    Who are second liners? Merkley, Soffilas, Bloomquist?
    Yakabowski, McKechnie, Laurencelle, Watson, Harper, Leverton taking up the third and fourth line duties along with PK duties? I could see most of those 6 in the 40 to 50 point range.
    Duke and Wong drawing in on occasion? Duke is too good not to be a regular isn't he?
    Is Harper the guy who sits more regularily even at 18? Is Duke top 6?
    What's your opinion?
    Defense
    Pilon, Galbraith, Topping, Sutton, Johnston, Hackman, Bloomquist, Erkamps.
    Johnston and Bloomquist, top pairing?
    Pilon and Galbraith, second pairing?
    Erkamps and Topping, third?
    Pilon and Johnston top PP unit?
    Galbraith and Bloomquist top PK unit?
    Love your thoughts.

Team lost last night but showed a lot and dominated for much of the game in my opinion. Looks like a different culture than when I last saw them 2 years ago.
    Cheers
    I can definately see Sofillas on top line instead of Russ, and Merkley instead of Ramsey. And Dmen lines look good, but I would switch Galbraith and Blomqvist around in the top/second pairs. Galbraith will put up alot of points this year. Duke is definately a player that can stick around. On a recent CTV story, they said the coaches/trainers said that he was probably the most focused, top players they have ever seen. He will put up some serious points for us this year and next. I see him 2nd line center over Russ, actually. But really, all our players are just that good that we can put out any line and almost call it our "top" line. Just keep rolling out the lines and dominate!

Did anyone see or hear how Axel Blomqvist handled himself in his first fight?? He has challenged or been challenged every game so far and it looks like he finally dropped the gloves versus the Kootenay overager Montgomery. Axel B obviously has size but probably isn't an enforcer... I hope he did fine.

After watching the two games in the Pass this team already seems to have a great culture and chemistry within the roster. That above all else is what has changed. The skill, effort, competiveness, drive seem to be there in 95 percent of the roster.
    It's clear the roster is young and talented but making a trade to bring in an older skilled player and trading a couple younger pieces might upset the chemistry. Hope RP and BR have the pulse of the locker room before playing with this group.
    Came away incredibly impressed with this group after watching two games. They place a fast paced style and were executing at that speed. Pretty exciting.
    Ramsey has really caught my eye. He's like a different player than I saw 2 years ago. Looks like plenty of players are developing now.
    Keep in mind that the two Pass games didn't have the 20's playing except Rimmer in the second game.
    Axel looks to be the real deal. Huge, fast, skilled, and driven. He did well in the fight. It was a short one though. Teamates were stoked about it.
    Need to move back to watch this group. Present is bright. Can't see a fourth year out of the playoffs.
    Am I right in seeing we have 4 19's? That seems managable moving into next season.
    Last edited by Bocephus; 09-16-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!