Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giants Reassign Taylor Makin

Default Giants Reassign Taylor Makin

To the Brooks Bandits of the AJHL. I expect another overager to be added soon.

Question

I would assume they are close to a deal with a other team for an OA.

Didn't we play quite abit of last year without a 3rd?

Thanks

Plays one game and even gets and assist and is gone.

what do ya figure -- a 20 yr old goalie?

Makin played last year and the team site had him gone before Friday's game and then rescinded that part of the article. Maybe his family came in for Fridays game and they cut him some slack.

sadly he was the only forward playing defensively and had the best plus/minus in the preseason. Crappy game tonight again with a late push that resulted in another loss. They need that effort for the full sixty if they hope to compete, because most of the other teams are better than Victoria and we are looking like pee-wee timmy ho players out there.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Question

Hold on I'm very confused? Makin was let go correct? Did I miss part of the story?

Thanks

Yes, Makin was let go.

Calgary, Kootenay and Tri-City all have extra overagers.

The Hitmen have Trevor Cheek, Spencer Humphries, Brooks Macek and Cody Sylvester. I don't see Calgary trading their captain Sylvester. And Humphries is a defenseman so the Giants aren't interested in adding yet another overage defenseman. That leaves Macek or Cheek. Both are wingers and the Giants specifically want a center.

The Ice have Drew Czerwonka, Joey Leach, Brock Montgomery and Elgin Pearce. Pearce is the only center out of the four. And I'm guessing he is probably the guy Kootenay would want to move. Leach is a defenseman, so I doubt the Giants are interested in him. Both Czerwonka and Montgomery have played center at one point and both guys do add size and grit but I'm not sure if Kootenay wants to move either player.

The Americans have Drydn Dow, Justin Feser, Patrick Holland, (if he returns) Jordan Messier and Jesse Mychan. Feser is the Ams captain so he isn't going anywhere. If Holland returns, I can't see him going anywhere. Dow is a defenseman so that likely removes him from the equation. Messier and Mychan are both wingers. Both of those guys would add some size and grit too but again neither are centers.

Maybe the Giants have another 20 year old in mind not currently in the league?

maybe a double-slotter - OA euro - Ales Kilnar continues to be scratched - I wouldn't expect this unless it was a top player who would provide instant impact

A Shot From The Corner

The Rebels could now be in the mix after acquiring Underwood yesterday. Now they have four overagers, three of them forwards. Charles Inglis, Adam Kambeitz, and Turner Elson. I would take any of those three forwards on the Giants. All would add some skill and grit. Remember the Giants expressed interest in Inglis before in the past. So who knows.

I would have preferred Inglis over Cheek I think

A Shot From The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by dondo View Post
    I would have preferred Inglis over Cheek I think
    My first thought was that Inglis was 10 lbs of psychopath in a 5 lb bag; a total loose cannon who was at risk of on-ice homicide. However, a review of WHL discipline over the past five seasons shows only a one game suspension (charging) and a 10 game suspension (check to the head) in 2011-12, and nothing in any other seasons, so maybe his felonious tendencies were not chronic. (As an aside, the hit to the head was the one which ended Tyler Stahl's season, so it must have been pretty brutal, but not apparently a trend. Since Stahl has himself bestowed a few concussions, maybe it was simply karma at work).

Anyway, it seems to me that Cheek is an ideal mix of size and scoring ability, unlike the one dimensional players (size or skill, but not both) that the Giants seem to have gathered in abundance in the past few seasons.

I remain hopeful...
    The only good thunderstick is one shoved up a cowbell.