Thread: Giants add Twenty Year Old

Default Giants add Twenty Year Old

Trevor Cheek from Calgary. 6'2" left wing who scored 23 times and totaled 49pts in 67 games last year.
    Another left winger? At least he adds some size but confusingly Scott gives up draft picks in 2013 and 2014. Wouldn't those be important or potentially important for a run at the Mem cup in 2016?

Hey how come we're not getting Gallagher back or someone else like martinook? They were assigned to AHL?

A lot other chl teams have been getting their players back

Quote Originally Posted by Priceisright View Post
    Hey how come we're not getting Gallagher back or someone else like martinook? They were assigned to AHL?

A lot other chl teams have been getting their players back
    I think you are a little confused... CHL teams are just starting to lose their NHL drafted and signed 19 & 20 year old players (eligible to play in AHL this year) to the AHL camps that are just starting in the next couple of days. As a side not some players have been in CHL camps & playing, while others have elected not to report to their Jr. teams.

In the case of Gally, he never attended Giants camp at all and given that he almost made Montreal last year he is pretty much a lock to play in Hamilton in the AHL at the very least. Marty was told by Phoenix that they wanted him playing at AHL or NHL and he would be given every opportunity to thrive and make AHL team and not return to Giants.

CHL teams won't know for a couple weeks which of their signed players might be returning to their Junior teams until training camps and ex-games have progressed.

In the case of the lockout ending, we would also potentially lose Musil to Oilers camp as he and Yakupov were put on their recall list and eligible to attend NHL camp and give it their all to make NHL this year, they are not eligible to play in AHL due to them not being 20 year olds.
    Last edited by GL1040; 09-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Default Musil is 'reportedly' 19

Rumour is he is older; but he is most certainly 19 and eligible to play in the AHL. Can't see him ever playing in the show though.

I can't see him in the NHL as a regular either. I have never been impressed. He has such good size but rarely have I seen him use it with giants.

But what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by franchise View Post
    Rumour is he is older; but he is most certainly 19 and eligible to play in the AHL. Can't see him ever playing in the show though.
    I would think it would be very hard to falsify a NHL players son's birthday given that it was in the press at the time his Dad was playing in Calgary. But you are right he is 19 already and I screwed up in a way as I inadvertently included 19 & 20 yo's in my first paragraph but had it right in the last... it is only 1992 birth years that are eligible for AHL this year... ie Gally and Marty.

It is a bit of a hefty price tag for Cheek, IMO. Sure Cheek is valuable because he can play all three forward positions but he wasn't my first preference out of the other overagers available around the league. I see in the papers he is being touted as a "power forward" and a player similar to previous Giants hard nosed teams of the past. That is quite a stretch to say the very least. At the end of the day he is an upgrade on Makin so hopefully he'll be able to contribute right away.

Still not sure why we continue to deal draft picks instead of deal some of our over-loaded roster.

At least Cheek has some size and if he's an upgrade on Makin then I'll wait and see. However, paying a 4th to a team that needs to cut down their OA roster come mid-October, makes no sense to me. He's not what I would consider a must have player and we could have afforded to wait until he was released - or the Hitmen were getting desperate. I think Scott is getting panicy and wasting some future potential for moderate returns.

That said: it is the direction we need to go - get some size back in the line-up, but the boys have to play the full sixty and aggressively forecheck if this is going to work. Also the coverage in our own end is still awful, too much standing around and not enough punishment imo.

btw: 19 year olds are not eligible for the AHL, it's either NHL or Junior, so Musil is either an Oiler or a Giant. Frankly - Musil needs another year at this level imo. Neither Gally nor Martinook will be back with the Giants - oddly - considering that during the lock-out there are players who can play in the NHL who will be sent to the AHL so you would think that optional players would be sent back to Junior more than cluttering up the AHL.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/