Thread: 2012 Trade Thread

Default 2012 Trade Thread

Let's keep all of our deals in one thread for easy reference:

Giants Swing a Trade That Sends Whistle Back Home

September 7, 2012

VANCOUVER, BC – Two weeks ahead of their regular season and home opener on September 21st, the Vancouver Giants addressed their crowded crease situation. With 4 goalies still on the roster heading into tonight’s pre-season game vs Kamloops, that number is now down to 3, after Vancouver moved 17-year old goaltender Jackson Whistle to his hometown Kelowna Rockets in exchange for a 3rd-round bantam draft pick in 2014.

“In sending Jackson to Kelowna, we gain a good draft choice and he gets to return home and play for a top flite organization” explained Giants Execute Vice-President and General Manager Scott Bonner. He went on to say “Jackson worked extremely hard this summer and has made huge steps. But in saying that, we had 4 goalies here that had all played well and something had to give. It’s a win-win for all parties.”

Whistle, who was born and raised in Kelowna, appeared in 21 total games for the Giants last season as a backup, with a record (as a starter) of 1-7-0-3. His only victory was a 3-0 shutout over Prince George in January. He finished the season with a goals against average of 3.61 and an .873 save percentage. He is now expected to back up 19-year-old Jordon Cooke for the coming season in Kelowna.

In the meantime, the Giants are now left with 3 goaltenders: 19 year-old Liam Liston (acquired from Lethbridge over the summer), 16 year-old Payton Lee (2nd round draft pick in 2011) and 17 year-old walk-on Tyler Fuhr, who has been one of the best surprises of training camp for the team.

The Vancouver Giants (1-2) continue their pre-season schedule tonight at the Ladner Leisure Centre, hosting the Kamloops Blazers (3-0) at 7pm.

They’ll kick off the 2012/13 regular season with their home opener on Friday, September 21st vs the Victoria Royals, before traveling to Victoria for the rematch on Saturday.

Logan Harland Traded to Saskatoon

After being re-assigned to his AJHL team from last year, the Bonnyville Pontiacs, 17 year-old Logan Harland had to quickly change his plans. The Vancouver Giants have dealt Harland to the Saskatoon Blades, the host team of this season's Memorial Cup, in exchnage for a conditional 7th round draft pick in 2014 and future considerations.

"Logan is a great kid who worked extremely hard this summer and this should be a great opportunity for him to play in our league" said Giants Executive VP and General Manager Scott Bonner.

Harland, who hails from the tiny town of Frenchman Butte, Saskatchewan, will now be closer to home, although Saskatoon is still a good 4 hour drive from Frenchman Butte. He suited up in 10 games with the Giants last season, picking up 1 goal and 2 penalty minutes.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

I don't understand why Harland was reassigned so early. He barely got a chance for whatever reason. I liked his game. He was a hard worker and a gritty player. Hopefully he'll get a shot at making the Blades.

Matt Bellerive to RD for a 3rd round pick

Matt Bellerive is Alberta-bound

VANCOUVER, BC – The Vancouver Giants are getting closer to their regular roster size after a trade this morning that saw (94) forward Matt Bellerive get sent to the Red Deer Rebels in exchange for a 3rd-round bantam draft pick in 2014.

Bellerive, a 2nd-round pick himself from the 2009 draft, spent two full seasons in Vancouver, most recently picking up 14 points in 46 games last season.

"Matt was a good kid whom wanted a fresh start with another team,” stated Executive VP and General Manager Scott Bonner. He went on to say “We wish Matt all the best with his hockey career and thank him for the contributions he's made to our franchise over the years.”

With Taylor Makin being released prior to Saturday’s game, this now brings the Giants current roster size to 25 healthy players (15 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goaltenders), plus injured defenseman Arvin Atwal.

A Shot From The Corner

Giants acquire 20 yr old Trevor Cheek - for 2013 4th round and 2014 5th round picks -- Serious overpayment in my mind -- I thought a 4th was too much for a player that would have lost the numbers game in Calgary. I feel that Scott is over-reacting and over-paying for players that are moderate up-grades. We'll see how much of a power-forward he is -- that's what they said about Cass Mappin and he was one of the worst acquisitions - talk about a lazy piece of crap player. 75 PIMs for Cheek last year.

Giants Bolster Their Top 6 with the Addition of Trevor Cheek

VANCOUVER, BC – The Vancouver Giants have added some punch to their forward group today with the acquisition of 20 year-old Left Winger Trevor Cheek from the Calgary Hitmen. In exchange, the Giants send a 4th-round pick in 2013 and a 5th round pick in 2014 to Calgary.

Brad Watson/Calgary Hitmen

Cheek, who hails from the other Vancouver in Washington, is a 3rd-year WHL veteran who spent the last 2 years in Calgary. Standing at 6’2, 198 lbs, he most recently came off a season where he picked up 23 goals and 49 points in 67 games. This season, he’s only played 1 regular season game so far, in which he picked up an assist, and he also had 5 points in just 3 games with Calgary in the pre-season.

"We are excited to add Trevor to our group as it gives us a big power forward for our top 6 group,” stated Giants Executive VP and General Manager Scott Bonner. "Players in the mold of Trevor are the type that prosper in our system and our team’s style is suited to them"

Trevor Cheek is expected to be in the line-up this Friday night when the Vancouver Giants host the Everett Silvertips at 7:30pm. He will switch from the #29 he wore in Calgary to wearing #14 in Vancouver.
    I was wondering why Makin wasn't wearing #14 on opening night, despite being that number in the program

A Shot From The Corner