Bell supplies the fuel for Rockets

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM OCTOBER 11, 2012 11:01 PM

When it comes to defencemen, the Kelowna Rockets have been a stamping factory with the likes of Shea Weber, Josh Gorges, Tyler Myers and Victoria-native Tyson Barrie having come down the assembly line.

So if a blue-liner was to be co-leading the Western Hockey League in scoring, it’s probably not surprising to find that it’s a Rocket.

Myles Bell comes into the weekend set at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre tonight and Saturday against the Victoria Royals with five goals and 14 points in eight games, atop the league scoring list with Kamloops Blazers forward JC Lipon (four goals and 14 points in seven games).

“Things have gone really well this season and I’ve gotten some lucky bounces,” said Bell, an undrafted 19-year-old who was invited to the New York Rangers rookie/development camp over the summer.

“I’ve played some forward in the past so that’s helped with my offensive game. I hope to keep it going at or near the top [of the scoring parade], but only time will tell if I can stay up there.”

Of more concern, said the Calgary native who began his WHL career with the Regina Pats, is getting the Rockets on a more consistent footing this season.

“For me, it’s more about winning games,” he said.

With the upstart Royals sailing along at 6-3, earning an honourable mention in the latest BMO Mastercard Canadian Hockey League top-10 poll, the Rockets are 3-4-1.

“Team discipline is the big one we have to look at,” said Bell, who said he is aware of the impressive list of alumni who have preceded him on the Rockets blueline.

“I feel good things will starting happening for us.”

The second Kelowna player in the top-10 in league scoring is six-foot-one forward Colton Sissons, the 2012 second-round draft pick of the Nashville Predators, with 12 points. That’s the same total as Victoria leading-scorer and 20-year-old Russian import Alex Gogolev.

Both Victoria and Kelowna are coming off Wednesday losses, Victoria with a 5-2 setback in Kamloops against the CHL third-ranked Blazers and the Rockets with a 6-4 loss against the Spokane Chiefs.

This is the first meeting of the regular season between the Royals and Rockets, who share a bit of commercial history. RG Properties of Vancouver, owned by Graham Lee, owns the Royals and operates the Memorial Centre and also operates the Rockets’ home rink, Prospera Place.

ICE CHIPS: The Royals, coming off a 2-2 record during four consecutive road games, now have four home games in a row continuing from the Kelowna set to hosting the Calgary Hitmen next Thursday and the Brandon Wheat Kings on Oct. 23.