Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello?...Mcfly?...

Default Hello?...Mcfly?...

What has happened to this forum? We used to get some lively discussion on here, with lots of different people. Now, nada.....What gives?
    Better to be smarter than you look than to look smarter than you are....

Not be a broken record but I think a lot of it comes down to what was said in the Yikes thread below.

The management on and off the ice has done so much to alienate the fanbase that apathy seems to have taken over a lot of fans.

As for this board specifically I do think that one of the more "vocal" members moved to Vancouver if I remember correctly and I know that I work out of town and can't get to any games anymore which likely explains at least two of the more active posters reduction in posting.

Its good to see from afar that they don't seem so inept on the ice this year and that a bottom 3 play-off spot may be possible but that isn't exactly the exciting things that get posts going.

Hopefully the team can start playing well enough to get some more chatter going because win or lose it would be nice to talk about the team again.

Default To be honest

I just got tired of virtually every thread, every post being about how much Preston is ruining players and how this team will never go anywhere. There is an overabundance of people who like to complain but so very few who can offer something positive. Most who do offer a positive simply follow it up with a 'but" and proceed to list three times as many negatives. I have noticed that you, Too Loud, are one of the few that can give a genuine pat on the back.

Pat's blog is getting to be about the same. The team took 5 of 6 points this last week. I posted the first comment after the recap went up. The team's PP was great and they did pretty good on the PK. Instead of just taking a moment to celebrate a good week, the comments have spiralled into discussion of how bad Hood is, how bad the playing time is for the rookies and Axel's slow hands.

I do not for a moment think everything is perfect in Hurricane-land but the whining and complaining gets so old. The team did well and that makes me happy. I choose to celebrate their successes for a moment and it is easier to do it when you don't come to the forums and read the same old, same old.

I guess I am one of the guys that "like to complain but don't have anything positive to offer" but I really can't see what positive there was to talk about on or off the ice.

This team has offered nothing to the fans to be positive about the past 3 years so not surprising that people aren't offering anything positive up.

I just don't go to enough games to offer up much of value. I hate to admit it, but the team lost me and I'm not sure what it will take to get me back.

Quote Originally Posted by CanesCrazy View Post
    I just got tired of virtually every thread, every post being about how much Preston is ruining players and how this team will never go anywhere. There is an overabundance of people who like to complain but so very few who can offer something positive. Most who do offer a positive simply follow it up with a 'but" and proceed to list three times as many negatives. I have noticed that you, Too Loud, are one of the few that can give a genuine pat on the back.

Pat's blog is getting to be about the same. The team took 5 of 6 points this last week. I posted the first comment after the recap went up. The team's PP was great and they did pretty good on the PK. Instead of just taking a moment to celebrate a good week, the comments have spiralled into discussion of how bad Hood is, how bad the playing time is for the rookies and Axel's slow hands.

I do not for a moment think everything is perfect in Hurricane-land but the whining and complaining gets so old. The team did well and that makes me happy. I choose to celebrate their successes for a moment and it is easier to do it when you don't come to the forums and read the same old, same old.
    I have to agree with you to some degree, but what I find so interesting about the "old gang" that used to hang out here is exactly what you are saying. I, for one, know that when something is said that I strongly disagree (or agree) with, it motivates me to make a reply. What makes it so interesting is that there seems to have been just as many "complainers" as "back patters", and there seemed to be some modicum of balance. While some of the complaining seems to rally around the same old points, every now and again, a real interesting comment will be made....one that makes you think a bit. That's what I find so interesting about this forum. The fact that people are so passionate about this team, bad or good, is what generates good conversation, and some excellent back and forth. Do you think that this forum would be half as interesting without Moon's or Shushu's comments|? You may not always agree, but it makes for some interesting discussion. Let's hope we can keep it going.

Show me the last night there was an interesting and "new" point, whether good or bad about the team. To each their own I suppose. I have not abandoned this forum as is evident by my seeing and responding to your inital post. What I refuse to do is comment on the same old thing. I have nothing left to say about how unqualified Preston is, about how he doesn't develop players or about how players actually get worse under his tutelage. I am not for a minute saying I agree or disagree with any of those points. What I am saying is I am sick of reading them. I have responded in the past (more than once) and see no need to continue repeating my view points as others insist on repeating theirs.

Allow me to offer up a new topic for discussion. I may be one of the few out here that doesn't understand why young Axel Blomqvist has earned so much ice time particularly on the first line. He has set up some nice goals but so have others. With the way Maxwell is playing right now, it is hard to believe he couldn't capitalize on a half decent pass from almost any of the forwards.

8. Default

Axel is a 17 yr old 6’6 power forward. He is young, talented and should get top two line ice. I believe the most exciting part of this team is the young d-men especially when Henry returns. Pilon the sixteen yr old phenom is playing first line minutes because he is simply that good. Love hearing the crabbing about the youth not getting enough time. Better than the talk of the losing streak last year at this time. Rich needs to trade for one 18 yr old, character power forward and we should be set for a 5-8 place finish. We will have one extra d-men to trade when Henry returns.

Moon, I know you said the team lost you but I beg to differ. I mean honestly...you still check the forum. This thread is full of comments in under two days. I think there is a large segment of the fan base that has become disenfranchised but deep down they still root for the Canes' and the fact that those fans (you and me) are still checking in here means that you (secretly perhaps) are holding out a glimmer of hope.

Agree about Pat's blog going downhill comments wise. I posted first after tonights win and stand by what I said. As frustrated as I am some nights with the Canes, the team that I saw over the past 3 games at home was not the team that got schooled by Edmonton earlier this year. There are a ton of positives to take away from the team right now.... we have just been programmed to be glass half empty people since the run to the Dub' Final.

I honestly think that the fans were a big part of those 5 points last week. Lets let bygones be bygones and move past the politics. If you werent at the Enmax last week you missed out on three very entertaining hockey games. Your loss....

Quote Originally Posted by O&C View Post
    Moon, I know you said the team lost you but I beg to differ. I mean honestly...you still check the forum. This thread is full of comments in under two days. I think there is a large segment of the fan base that has become disenfranchised but deep down they still root for the Canes' and the fact that those fans (you and me) are still checking in here means that you (secretly perhaps) are holding out a glimmer of hope.

Agree about Pat's blog going downhill comments wise. I posted first after tonights win and stand by what I said. As frustrated as I am some nights with the Canes, the team that I saw over the past 3 games at home was not the team that got schooled by Edmonton earlier this year. There are a ton of positives to take away from the team right now.... we have just been programmed to be glass half empty people since the run to the Dub' Final.

I honestly think that the fans were a big part of those 5 points last week. Lets let bygones be bygones and move past the politics. If you werent at the Enmax last week you missed out on three very entertaining hockey games. Your loss....
    I have to agree....some of the most entertaining hockey in the past few years has occurred this past week....and it was a blast to watch. The fans got into it because the team was actually playing a brand of hockey that is interesting to watch. One based on speed, skill, and the odd big hit. The difference, it seems, is that the boys are finding ways to win the tight ones, instead of giving up and mailing it in, as they have been prone to do the past few years. The other big difference, in my opinion, is that we have a goaltender that can actually win some games for us. Even with being handidly outshot lots of nights, the boys are still winning. That creates confidence, and confidence creates a winning attitude. No offence to some of the quality goaltenders we have had the past few years, but not since Metsola have I felt this much confidence in a goaltender. Once we have shored up the D a wee bit, I belive this team is capable of scaring some of the big boys. And that, my friends, is exciting!