Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Winterhawks about to be clipped?

  1. #11

    Default

    Harsh penalties but I think Portland will b ok, thank goodness. They have a good scouting staff and will still sign late top notch picks that r from the US and listed ones to. Iverson and Bittner are examples of that. Both are going to b good WHL players. Can't forget De Leo either and Leipsic who was a mid round pick.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Swift Current
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Good Job WHL! Any advantage a team takes like this, is called CHEATING! I hope that for the sake of all CHL small market teams, that these sorts of "back door" deals stop now, and more punishment handed out to all teams involved in this type of thing. Rules are made to be followed and Portland has been made a fine example of what cheating will cost in the best junior league in the world. Way to go WHL...you got this right, all the way!!


    1989 Memorial Cup Champions

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trucker View Post
    Good Job WHL! Any advantage a team takes like this, is called CHEATING! I hope that for the sake of all CHL small market teams, that these sorts of "back door" deals stop now, and more punishment handed out to all teams involved in this type of thing. Rules are made to be followed and Portland has been made a fine example of what cheating will cost in the best junior league in the world. Way to go WHL...you got this right, all the way!!
    lol did you read the 2 press releases. the perks were to players already signed so big deal. If they have signed a WHL contract what the hell is the big deal about flying in some parents from europe or where ever. A 3 year cell phone deal and some summer camps really.Better to be flown in than bussed in by SC lol
    GO WARRIORS GO

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, AB
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    lol did you read the 2 press releases. the perks were to players already signed so big deal.
    Impossible to prove when these perks were actually promised to the families, which is why the league really has no choice but to punish harshly ANY infraction of this type.

    It is extremely costly to get a kid up to the WHL level in hockey, and I personally have a VERY hard time believing that if these flights were offered to ALL the parents of players on the team, that only seven or eight of them took them up on their offer in half a decade... the cell phone, the training etc. are definitely minor, extraneous charges, compared to the tens of thousands of dollars they would have shelled out to these families in flights.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    what the hell is the big deal about flying in some parents from europe or where ever.
    The big deal, is that small-market teams, take Moose Jaw for example, could never possibly hope to fit free flights to the families of their players, into any sort of a believable business model. If left unchecked, this behavior eventually creates a scenario where the teams with large buildings/populations/rich owners are basically just buying all the top players available from North America and abroad.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Impossible to prove when these perks were actually promised to the families, which is why the league really has no choice but to punish harshly ANY infraction of this type.



    The big deal, is that small-market teams, take Moose Jaw for example, could never possibly hope to fit free flights to the families of their players, into any sort of a believable business model. If left unchecked, this behavior eventually creates a scenario where the teams with large buildings/populations/rich owners are basically just buying all the top players available from North America and abroad.
    It's not like these were free agents they are drafted and signed. So I dont see how it affects other teams. I guess you could hope Por drafts you. As far as Players refusing to report to force a trade to a big market that already happens both ways. Howden went to MJ in a swap of picks because he didnt want to go there. Most of the times players refuse to report is location from home and teams history.
    GO WARRIORS GO

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, AB
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    It's not like these were free agents they are drafted and signed. So I dont see how it affects other teams. I guess you could hope Por drafts you.
    I actually haven't seen any specific names mentioned by either the WHL or the Winterhawks or the players involved, so saying that they are not free agents is just sheer speculation. Also, top prospects fall to the late rounds of the draft all the time, when they are interviewed by teams and make it clear that they intend to go the NCAA route. If you are able to draft can't-miss prospects throughout the draft for no other reason than you are operating within a different set of rules than the other teams in the league, then chances are you are going to have more success than them. This is the purpose of these rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    As far as Players refusing to report to force a trade to a big market that already happens both ways. Howden went to MJ in a swap of picks because he didnt want to go there. Most of the times players refuse to report is location from home and teams history.
    I think you are misunderstanding my post. Teams offering free flights etc. aren't drawing players from other WHL teams necessarily, they are drawing players that are leaning towards playing NCAA Hockey, that the small-market teams that can't offer the same perks wouldn't have a shot at.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding my post. Teams offering free flights etc. aren't drawing players from other WHL teams necessarily, they are drawing players that are leaning towards playing NCAA Hockey, that the small-market teams that can't offer the same perks wouldn't have a shot at.
    I dont think its players leaning to NCAA and dropping down in the WHL draft.Most of their impact players are top 3 rounds leipsic and Johansen the exceptions. It's more likely all the Euros that they've brought over. Now do these top Euros stay over there or go NCAA if Por doesnt offer their parents free plane rides I dont think so. I think it was something done after the fact but not reported .Most likely the Euros were the ones sent to summer hockey camps get them up to speed on our style .No felonys here misdemeanors at best. A cell phone really Ron .
    GO WARRIORS GO

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, AB
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    It's more likely all the Euros that they've brought over.
    Really? Why is it more than likely? Possible? Yes. More than likely? Not really.

    Now do these top Euros stay over there or go NCAA if Por doesnt offer their parents free plane rides I dont think so.
    That certainly would be a great deal less likely scenario than staying and playing pro hockey in Europe--like a LOT of the impact import players do. They make money while playing over there, even in a lower tier pro league, but get adapted to the North American game better in the CHL. Maybe $30000 or so worth of flights a year might help them change their mind? I don't know, I am just saying that this is the exact reason why the league disallows these types of perks.

  9. #19

    Default

    Still seems like over kill by Robison and some jealous owners. Now that Por is fighting back and this may end up in court has the league bit off more than it can chew.This owner has some pretty deep pockets and once it gets to court the WHL may have to disclose alot about how it and its teams operate. The league my end up backpeddling for its own good.
    GO WARRIORS GO

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Swift Current
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Section N, You have done a marvelous job of stating your case, I agree with all of it! As usual. However, trying to prove that to some of the less fortunate, chromosone missing, posters is a difficult job. Moose Jaw too, is considered a small market team and yet they fail to realise a ruling like this from the league is of benefit to their club as well. Hard to argue with the nonsence that comes out of a town that has a Moose, with bright pink balls, directly beside the nations busiest highway. You go on now MJ. Keep on counting those cans little buddy.


    1989 Memorial Cup Champions

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •