Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wallin Fired Today

The point wasn't that the Rebels would have been better off with a different player, McNeil, Rattie or otherwise...the point is that the inept Rebels scouting staff was going to overlook the best 1993 player in the world.
    As a Rebels fan, that should really concern you....at least if you want to see quality WHL hockey in Red Deer again.
    Remember...it was the previous scouting staff that picked the players on the Mem Cup team.
    W

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    The point wasn't that the Rebels would have been better off with a different player, McNeil, Rattie or otherwise...the point is that the inept Rebels scouting staff was going to overlook the best 1993 player in the world.
    Isn't the primary job of the scouting staff to identify players that will most help the team? If so, I would say that considering taking a different 'can't-miss' top 10 ranked bantam draft player that is going to play for 4 seasons instead of 2, is a very valid consideration and not inept at all.

lol sectiondeserter...you are such a fanboy. Justify this...the Rebels don't have a top 80 scorer in the league and if you take out Charles, they don't have a player in the top 100. Please tell me how the scouting staff is doing their job.

And don't tell me Bleackley was a good pick, kids skating will never allow him to excel.

W

Nice job changing the subject when presented with the facts... I don't think I have ever stated anywhere, an opinion on the Rebel scouting one way or the other. I simply said that in retrospect, drafting an elite talent that plays for your team for 4 seasons, is arguably better than drafting a better player that only plays two seasons, and that i don't think that alone makes a scout 'inept'.

There are teams in the league that have better scouting than the Rebels, and their are teams that have worse scouting. There is certainly room for improvement for sure.

As for Bleakley, you could be right, but I personally would wait until he has played more than 20-30 games in the league before declaring something like that.

I never questioned picking Hopkins even if we only had him two years. What I struggled with was not moving him when you know you aren't going to make a run and re unlikely to have him back the following year. This can be said for other players as well, Petro I am sure would have had a decent return.

As for Medicine Hat's deep drafting and prospect list how did that work out last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelsfan13 View Post
    I never questioned picking Hopkins even if we only had him two years. What I struggled with was not moving him when you know you aren't going to make a run and re unlikely to have him back the following year. This can be said for other players as well, Petro I am sure would have had a decent return.

As for Medicine Hat's deep drafting and prospect list how did that work out last night?
    They aren't the same team without their #1 scorer and #2 centre. 4th games in 5 nights and had an 18 hour bus ride back from everett Sunday Night and most of monday. So forgive them for their off night

The biggest change I saw was that Sutter has your team working very hard, with a better commitment to the team systems. They are playing with confidence and your goaltender was playing exceptional...Literally gave up no rebounds.

Can you guys tell me more about 16 year old #4 Haydn Fleury. What are his strengths and weaknesses?
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post
    Can you guys tell me more about 16 year old #4 Haydn Fleury. What are his strengths and weaknesses?
    Fleury is basically a clone of Alex Petrovic, but a considerably better skater at the same age. He has a huge frame for a 16 year old, rushes up-ice with the puck very well, has a great first pass out of the zone, and has a big physical element. His weaknesses are pretty much the same as every other 16 year old defenseman--struggles at times to play speedy forwards one-on-one (though he is improving).

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Fleury is basically a clone of Alex Petrovic, but a considerably better skater at the same age. He has a huge frame for a 16 year old, rushes up-ice with the puck very well, has a great first pass out of the zone, and has a big physical element. His weaknesses are pretty much the same as every other 16 year old defenseman--struggles at times to play speedy forwards one-on-one (though he is improving).
    Thanks. I was impressed by his size and how fluid he was at skating the puck out of his zone last night. Next time the rebels come to town I'm gonna watch him more closely.
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post

And don't tell me Bleackley was a good pick, kids skating will never allow him to excel.

W
    Hate to necro this old thread, but it is always nice to go back in time a little, and remind people of just how incredibly wrong they are.