Thread: Office Staff

Default Office Staff

We just heard that one of the best people in the front office is no longer with the organization. What a tremendous mistake that was. The new manager obviously has no clue what he let go. She will be very much missed by season ticket holders and the Hockey Hounds, and the hockey operations staff and players. We wish her the best of luck. It is certainly the Hurricanes loss. We can't help but to wonder what the board members think of this ridiculous decision.

Default What???!!!

I too have just heard the news, and am scratching my head. The business office of this club has made plenty of bone-headed decisions the past few years, and I believe, many of those decisions have created the financial mess that the team finds itself in. I am also of the firm belief that even though the team faces a revenue issue, it also has to deal with the expense side of the equation until the revenues "right" themselves. With that in mind, it seems somewhat prudent that some hard decisions are made.

However, it seems odd that this is the person that is singled out. This person that has been with the team for a long time, and has contributed greatly. This person that has been through a revolving door of some jack-ass business managers, has had her position change with every one, and has still done a professional job, in less than professional situations.

I don't know what has gone on behind closed doors, and perhaps there is more to this decision than meets the eye, but it seems to me that this is another in a long line of poorly thought out stop-gap measures, and seems, again, to subscribe to hockey's "old boys" club.

P.S Why haven't the sales people been called to task over the lack of season ticket/advertising sales?
    Better to be smarter than you look than to look smarter than you are....

Default Agree but...

While I agree this was a terrible decision, don't blame the Canes people... she was an Enmax Centre/City of Lethbridge employee, and the hockey team had nothing to do with her dismissal. If they had a say, I'm sure she would still be there.

No. I guess Dawna from the Hurricanes was told she no longer had a position with the club as hers was being eliminated. One of few who stood by the team through the insanity the last few years and was thanked for her loyalty by being eliminated. If you ever had the pleasure of dealing with her directly you know what a loss this is for the organization. I must admit we are going to miss the programs she put out. They were very high quality and full of information. We wish her much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by canesfan7461 View Post
    While I agree this was a terrible decision, don't blame the Canes people... she was an Enmax Centre/City of Lethbridge employee, and the hockey team had nothing to do with her dismissal. If they had a say, I'm sure she would still be there.
    Actually, she was NOT a City of Lethbridge Employee, she was employed by the hockey team, and YES the business office had everything to do with their dismissal. I suppose that we should not "meddle" with the team's business decisions, but this one, among the hordes of other stupid decisions, just does not make sense.

Default Chill out...

Okay obviously we are talking about 2 different people... I guess when we try and be respectful and not name names, these things happen... Chill out. At least we agree that the person we are each talking about never should have been let go by their respective employer.

Quote Originally Posted by canesfan7461 View Post
    Okay obviously we are talking about 2 different people... I guess when we try and be respectful and not name names, these things happen... Chill out. At least we agree that the person we are each talking about never should have been let go by their respective employer.
    Suitably chilled....

Default Idiots?

The city staff member should not have been fired. The Hurricanes staff member should have been fired long ago. Certain staff former board members as well as former business mgr's were to blame for the delay.
    The only thing better than a Cane's win is a Tiger's loss.

I have to ask why you would say that this particular person should have been fired. First of all, she was not fired, her position was eliminated. I know for a fact this person has put in hours and hours of overtime, never took her vacation time, volunteered for any event that required staff to help, and was instrumental in locating former players (also done on her own time). I only know her through the Hurricanes but as a business owner I had the pleasure of dealing with her. She was always helpful, accomodating and communicative. I would have given my eye teeth for an employee with that kind of commitment, loyalty, dedication and experience. Now I am stuck dealing with someone who knows nothing, is unreceptive and doesn't return numerous phone calls and emails. Trust me, they let go of the wrong person. It is unlikely I will do any advertising at all next year given the performance I have seen from the sales staff this last year and a half.