Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New goaltender

Default New goaltender

With the addition of Tremblay does this mean that Pouliot is being sent down or is Bartosak nursing an injury again? Or is yet another trade in the works. Three goalies doesn't exactly fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel~66 View Post
    With the addition of Tremblay does this mean that Pouliot is being sent down or is Bartosak nursing an injury again? Or is yet another trade in the works. Three goalies doesn't exactly fit.
    I thought Pouliot was a capable backup ? or is this just depth for if Bartosak goes to the world juniors ?

Blades could use a Backup wonder if They ca trade for Pouliot

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    I thought Pouliot was a capable backup ? or is this just depth for if Bartosak goes to the world
    I guess it could be but I'd be surprised if that was the case. Wouldn't they just go with Pouliot and bring up a youngster for the duration? Perhaps Sutter has little faith in his backup. Section N will likely have an answer for us.

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    I thought Pouliot was a capable backup ? or is this just depth for if Bartosak goes to the world juniors ?
    In junior hockey, you ideally want to have a starting goaltender, and another goaltender that will eventually be your starting goaltender. Bartosak is likely gone next season, who will be the starter next season? I think this move is made for three reasons.

Coverage while Bartosak is over in Russia.

To push Pouliot a little, as he has actually taken a step backwards stats-wise this season.

Tremblay cost them nothing.

Blades could use a Backup wonder if They ca trade for Pouliot
    I think the addition of Tremblay clearly means that either Pouliot or Tremblay will be available, when Bartosak returns from Russia.

I think there is one more option to consider, it may not be the path the Rebels will take but it would be the one I would take. Try moving Bartosak, he is one of the upper tier goalies maybe there is a team wanting to take a run that wants more than a back up.

I actually mentioned to some people that I thought the next move that Sutter would make after taking over as coach, would be to move Bartosak and get a huge return for him, and bring in a relatively inexpensive overage goaltender.

I think that with the amount of success they have enjoyed since that time, it would be crazy to trade him, even though the chances are slim that he will be back next season.

I agree that chances are slim but that is where I would clearly differ in management philosophies. My goal would always be to try and win a championship as soon as I can. Let's face it, they are playing well right now but even if they stay this hot they aren't getting out of their conference. So do you sacrifice for this year to make your team better in upcoming years? I know Sutter won't (he didn't with Petro, Kuemper etc.) but I would.

Their's not much of a market for a #1 this season. Portland,edmonton, calgary,PA, Tri-City, Kamloops, Saskatoon all appear to be set with good goalies.

Maybe someone like Kelowna, or spokane goes on a run and decides to go for it at the trade deadline and wants an upgrade. Or perhaps saskatoon presses a panic button, or someone gets injured.

I highly doubt a medicore/rebuilding team would trade for him because their is no guarantee he will be back next season.

I think its unlikley he gets traded because the demand is not high, but it is still possible if something like a big injury were to happen.
    MEDICINE HAT TIGERS
    http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

TT is bang on, every contender either has two good imports already, and/or are more than set in goal already (barring a season ending injury before the trade deadline).

Well the Rebels did trade with Kelowna, just not for a goalie. Looks like we are back to two Euros. I have never seen so much activity for one team in a year and we are nowhere near the trade deadline yet lol.