Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WHL SANCTIONS PORTLAND WINTERHAWKS

What follows is a summary of the league’s findings, and a statement from Johnston:

The Winterhawks were found to have committed the following violations:

• A player contract signed in 2009, involving flights for the player’s family and a summer training program

• Over the last five years, seven families were provided flights 2-4 times per season based on financial need and their distance from Portland

• Twice in the last five years the team paid for two players to each have a one-week summer training regimen

• The Winterhawks provided a cell phone for its team captain for a period of three seasons

The WHL’s audit found no violations involving monetary payments made to players, their families or agents, or any violations related to the league’s educational packages.

I lifted this from Pat Siedlecki's blog http://canesbroadcaster.blogspot.ca/, it all seems very minor compared to some of the stories many of us have heard about over the years.

The treatment is harsh and fair. Dont cheat! Problem solved. Good on the WHL as other teams will now respect the rules.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
    • A player contract signed in 2009, involving flights for the player’s family and a summer training program

• Over the last five years, seven families were provided flights 2-4 times per season based on financial need and their distance from Portland

• Twice in the last five years the team paid for two players to each have a one-week summer training regimen

• The Winterhawks provided a cell phone for its team captain for a period of three seasons
    if those r the only reasons why this punishment was handed out then i definately dont stand behind the WHL in this punishment..... im thinking there is more to it but the Winterhawks dont want to make that public, cuz i know for flights anyways that the pats have paid for there euro parents to come over to see there kids play, now maybe the pats never hid that info from the league since i do recall in the paper a few yrs ago parker saying the team is bringing the parents to regina for a weekend slot of games to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    if those r the only reasons why this punishment was handed out then i definately dont stand behind the WHL in this punishment..... im thinking there is more to it but the Winterhawks dont want to make that public, cuz i know for flights anyways that the pats have paid for there euro parents to come over to see there kids play, now maybe the pats never hid that info from the league since i do recall in the paper a few yrs ago parker saying the team is bringing the parents to regina for a weekend slot of games to watch.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The grease will float to the surface over the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by buddysixpack View Post
    This is just the tip of the iceberg. The grease will float to the surface over the next few months.
    I do not agree with this punishment at all specially suspending the coach who cares if a couple got cell phones and they flew there parents in to see there kids play ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh huge no no hat is give me a break

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    I do not agree with this punishment at all specially suspending the coach who cares if a couple got cell phones and they flew there parents in to see there kids play ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh huge no no hat is give me a break

Obviously you condone cheating. I would suggest that we wait for a few weeks/months to see what other crap floats to the surface.The tip of the iceberg is only 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by buddysixpack View Post
    Obviously you condone cheating. I would suggest that we wait for a few weeks/months to see what other crap floats to the surface.The tip of the iceberg is only 10%.
    Cheating heck no i agree there should be a some kind of punishment but this was way to harsh and to stiff

A big fien should have been good enough

Next time read my whole post before you put a weird comment in

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    Cheating heck no i agree there should be a some kind of punishment but this was way to harsh and to stiff

A big fien should have been good enough

Next time read my whole post before you put a weird comment in

I am really sorry that you didnt agree with my perspective but that is the beauty of a democracy.

Cheating is cheating no matter how you spin it! Any advantage taken like this hurts small market teams. The book that was thrown at the Winterhawks, was thrown in the right direction. I hope these sorts of antics stop in this league. I'd say there is more to this story as well, but either way, Portland was cheating...and justice was served.

1989 Memorial Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by trucker View Post
    Cheating is cheating no matter how you spin it! Any advantage taken like this hurts small market teams. The book that was thrown at the Winterhawks, was thrown in the right direction. I hope these sorts of antics stop in this league. I'd say there is more to this story as well, but either way, Portland was cheating...and justice was served.
    I agree a punishment was deserved let me make that clear and cheating should have no place in this game but i thought the punishment was to stiff a fine would have been fine with me

Just 1 mans opinion take what you will from it