Thread: WJHC Team Canada Roster

Default WJHC Team Canada Roster

Anyone else woefully disappointed at how OHL laden this years squad is? Not sure how they think that three OHL goalies were the best of the crop - very surprised not to see even one QMJHL goalie invited to camp.

5 - WHL players - 3 D and 2 F - 3 if you include Nugent-Hopkins - The Oilers are ridiculously stupid, short-sighted and selfish to say they won't let him play for Team Canada if the lock-out ends, esp since NHL hockey has been cancelled until Oct 30th

D:
    Tyler Wotherspoon (Portland)
    Morgan Rielly (Moose Jaw)
    Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton)

F:
    Ty Rattie (Portland)
    JC Lipon (Kamloops)

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Oklahoma Barons/ Edmonton Oilers) - named Captain - inadvisably imo

I personally find OHL players to be coached one-dimensionally - there's a reason the WHL has the most players on any other league playing in the NHL. I fear we will get our butts kicked all over the ice, not exactly a gritty group imo. The lack of two way forwards that can punish could be our downfall - Russia is going to have a big, mobile team on the big ice.

http://www.chl.ca/article/23-chl-pla...al-junior-team
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dondo View Post
    Anyone else woefully disappointed at how OHL laden this years squad is? Not sure how they think that three OHL goalies were the best of the crop - very surprised not to see even one QMJHL goalie invited to camp.

5 - WHL players - 3 D and 2 F - 3 if you include Nugent-Hopkins - The Oilers are ridiculously stupid, short-sighted and selfish to say they won't let him play for Team Canada if the lock-out ends, esp since NHL hockey has been cancelled until Oct 30th

D:
    Tyler Wotherspoon (Portland)
    Morgan Rielly (Moose Jaw)
    Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton)

F:
    Ty Rattie (Portland)
    JC Lipon (Kamloops)

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Oklahoma Barons/ Edmonton Oilers) - named Captain - inadvisably imo

I personally find OHL players to be coached one-dimensionally - there's a reason the WHL has the most players on any other league playing in the NHL. I fear we will get our butts kicked all over the ice, not exactly a gritty group imo. The lack of two way forwards that can punish could be our downfall - Russia is going to have a big, mobile team on the big ice.

http://www.chl.ca/article/23-chl-pla...al-junior-team
    Whatever league the head coach is from gets the most players when its the OHL/WHL always has it's politics not hockey. We used to count on the Q for goalies but they havent had one step up for while.OHL has been in the Memorial Cup finals the last 5 years 2-3 so in a tournament setting that style may work we'll see . As well officials will be predomantly Euro so hitting will result in a ton of PP's so an offensive style may be better.
    GO WARRIORS GO

Iconwhl

there was way more question marks after last years team made it final cuts then this yeras roster. The WHL lacks true talent this year the guys on Team Canada are the guys fully expected (outside of Lipon, no 1 saw this season coming for him, but well deserved)

McNeill takes too many stupid penalties in the WHL let alone put him on a team going over seas.

Shinkaruk he plays too much of an agitor for overseas play, yes he is skilled but part of his game is being that pest too.

Dumba his big hits would put him in the box every game & special teams are going to be more key on the bigger ice then back home in north america

Sissons power forwards of his level of play is not needed on euro ice, they midas well of invited Myles Bell instead of Sissons.

So i dont see any other WHLers who even deserve to be invited to camp let along to make the team. Lets just face it this year the WHL is weak for elite talent. Just part of junior hockey have to accept it, last year we had alot of elite talent at the 19yr old group.

i agree that players that are chosen to play must be disclipined and not take stupid penalties.It was however too bad that Colton Scissons was injured before the camp as all reports said that he basically was a lock as a 4th line checker .

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    there was way more question marks after last years team made it final cuts then this yeras roster. The WHL lacks true talent this year the guys on Team Canada are the guys fully expected (outside of Lipon, no 1 saw this season coming for him, but well deserved)

McNeill takes too many stupid penalties in the WHL let alone put him on a team going over seas.

Shinkaruk he plays too much of an agitor for overseas play, yes he is skilled but part of his game is being that pest too.

Dumba his big hits would put him in the box every game & special teams are going to be more key on the bigger ice then back home in north america

Sissons power forwards of his level of play is not needed on euro ice, they midas well of invited Myles Bell instead of Sissons.

So i dont see any other WHLers who even deserve to be invited to camp let along to make the team. Lets just face it this year the WHL is weak for elite talent. Just part of junior hockey have to accept it, last year we had alot of elite talent at the 19yr old group.
    It almost sounds like youre perfectly content with icing a bunch of cake eaters from the east.

Last time I checked, Canada's hockey identity is that of a nation that plays a gritty, team game, not a nation that employs 4 powerplay groups. On that basis alone, those four most certainly *deserve* to get invited to play for their country. If you ask me, all of those guys shouldve made the team, because they can both muck it up and score...especially McNeil, who at this point of time, is certainly better than 'the next crosby' and his sidekick.

People seem to forget, or maybe just dont care, that offence is only one aspect to the game, especially in a tournament with teams who differ in style. The more well rounded your team is, the better chance you have to win.

Im sort of hoping team Ontario disappoints. But I know that even if they do, theyll just keep adherring to their politics over hockey judgement. So all I can hope for is close games, I guess...