Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Daulton Siwak asks for trade as well

  1. #11

    Default

    I can accept they don't show up because of them disliking ownership, but could you take a minute to explain it - how have they alienated the city?

    They have had some pretty good players go through there and still haven't really managed to gel anything together on the ice. I realize it takes more than a couple players at a time but with most players isn't there a common thread that they do want to do something in hockey beyond the dub? It does seem like there are problems from the top down and it certainly couldn't be solely the coach's fault could it?

    I know how critical I can get watching the Giants organization at times with their hiccups with non-hockey stuff but atleast I know they are not only there to make some money but to also support the team with the resources they need to be in a good atmosphere to learn and excel in, even when they seem to be accelerating to the bottom of the tank as a team in the standings this season.

    In what ways has the ownership/organization driven the fans away to not support the sport as represented in PG by the WHL?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Prince George, BC
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyradiant View Post
    In what ways has the ownership/organization driven the fans away to not support the sport as represented in PG by the WHL?
    From my personal view its because it doesn't feel like they are willing to do what it takes to put a winning team on the ice. The Cougars have been in PG for 14-15 years now and how many times recently have they gone anywhere? They have switched coaches and players are changing year after year yet the result on the ice is always the same. I feel that if the current GM wasn't related to the owner, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he has. Sure the Cougars get some decent players but it seems we get rid of more good than we receive. While we don't know the real reasons the fact that a number of players have walked away from the team or request to be traded says something.

    The arena is nearly empty on game day. PG has some of the highest ticket and concession prices. A family of 4 is not going to drop close to $100 or more after taxes to watch a team lose.

    A family of 6 can get tickets to go see the PG Spruce Kings for $20 and food is much cheaper. The hockey is just as good IMO.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the flying moose View Post
    From my personal view its because it doesn't feel like they are willing to do what it takes to put a winning team on the ice. The Cougars have been in PG for 14-15 years now and how many times recently have they gone anywhere? They have switched coaches and players are changing year after year yet the result on the ice is always the same. I feel that if the current GM wasn't related to the owner, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he has. Sure the Cougars get some decent players but it seems we get rid of more good than we receive. While we don't know the real reasons the fact that a number of players have walked away from the team or request to be traded says something.

    The arena is nearly empty on game day. PG has some of the highest ticket and concession prices. A family of 4 is not going to drop close to $100 or more after taxes to watch a team lose.

    A family of 6 can get tickets to go see the PG Spruce Kings for $20 and food is much cheaper. The hockey is just as good IMO.

    So would you say that is likely the similar feeling of the rest of the in-town fans that don't support the team?

    Makes sense and from a far had assumed that it was there is no real commitment from the organization to make it a competitive organization besides a player here or there but not enough on the roster.

    At this point do you think a change from the head coach up the ladder and into the admin side of the organization would turn the team around enough that any new ownership group could stay?

    I've wondered why they have been left in place considering it is a long haul for most every team to get to. You'd think the other owners would be putting pressure on for a change because it is just as likely the change would include a move so that it wouldn't be an outpost destination but a part of a route.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by west coast View Post
    Prince George has horrible atendance figures.Does Nanaimo have a WHL building?

    No they dont have a building that would work for Tier 1 hockey. Their site is good enough for the BCJHL but not the WHL.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Prince George, BC
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyradiant View Post
    So would you say that is likely the similar feeling of the rest of the in-town fans that don't support the team?
    Yes, I feel that is the consensus feeling about fans in town.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyradiant View Post
    At this point do you think a change from the head coach up the ladder and into the admin side of the organization would turn the team around enough that any new ownership group could stay?
    We have had coaches here that have had success elsewhere. Bring them here and soon they are gone. Every aspect of the organization has been changed except management and ownership yet no matter the players on the ice or the coach behind the bench, the result is still the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyradiant View Post
    I've wondered why they have been left in place considering it is a long haul for most every team to get to. You'd think the other owners would be putting pressure on for a change because it is just as likely the change would include a move so that it wouldn't be an outpost destination but a part of a route.
    I have no idea. Every season there is a rumor that the team will be gone. There was a very popular rumor going around that the ownership was approached to purchase the team by a group of ex players (much like the Blazers) and the current ownership declined. There are complaints of attendance issues and loss of money every year but as a fan there is no decernable effort being shown to change any of that. If players themselves would rather quit the team than play hockey for the Cougars then how is a fan supposed to go out and pay their hard earned money?

  6. #16

    Default

    i have been to Prince George several times and have attended Cougar games .Prince George has an excellent rink with comfortable seats - free parking and excellent food and the drinking lobby in the end zone is great with lots of tv,s to watch nhl highlights between periods.The attendance averages 1000 fans.The team cannot be making money .Hockey is a business.Prince George has a hockey culture but the junior A team is a main competitor for the entertainment dollar.The whole Cougars business is in shambles.Marketing is an issue .The WHL is an excellent entertainment product and Prince George had better support it before it becomes a memory and leaves town

  7. #17

    Default

    With the way the league treated Chilliwack I think this will be the same. I think the competition from the Jr A team has always been a problem.The real reason is teams are finding out the trip to a dead end and back is costly. This lack of promotion may be tied to the Naniamo team. The board has probably got a deal in place to move brodsky there once the city commits to the new arena. Money they lose now will be recovered in the new rink/city.So until then minimal promotion and let it die .
    GO WARRIORS GO

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
    With the way the league treated Chilliwack I think this will be the same. I think the competition from the Jr A team has always been a problem.The real reason is teams are finding out the trip to a dead end and back is costly. This lack of promotion may be tied to the Naniamo team. The board has probably got a deal in place to move brodsky there once the city commits to the new arena. Money they lose now will be recovered in the new rink/city.So until then minimal promotion and let it die .
    Seems to me it is a slow painful death they are inflicting. It would seem to at least east as far a way as Vancouver, with no vested PG intersted that 'the board' is not doing them selves any favours. I know other WHL fans have scratched their collective heads wondering how competant the board is for quietly (to the fans and general public) ignoring the apparent problem. If that is what the league is waiting for and Naniamo is more than a week away from a decision they might do all parties a better end result service by just moth balling the team until then is that is the only place they would consider. I know the league has publicly stated a year or so before the Victoria move that they wanted a Naniamo team but still no building. Maybe the league wants something Naniamo doesn't.

  9. #19

    Default

    The citizens of Prince George must also accept responsibilty for the demise of the team. Perhaps it speaks of the dying hockey culture in Canada,Outdoor ice rinks in Canada sit idle as families find alternative entertainment .Meanwhile in the USA - new buildings are filled to capacity as hockey night bring entire towns or cities together.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Prince George, BC
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by west coast View Post
    The citizens of Prince George must also accept responsibilty for the demise of the team. Perhaps it speaks of the dying hockey culture in Canada,Outdoor ice rinks in Canada sit idle as families find alternative entertainment .Meanwhile in the USA - new buildings are filled to capacity as hockey night bring entire towns or cities together.
    Hockey is big in PG. Outdoor rinks are packed. There is a waiting list for teams to join the local adult rec hockey league. PG Spruce Kings games are usually standing room only.

    I remember earlier this season I was given 4 tickets for the Cougars. I couldn't go so I tried to GIVE them away and couldn't. Two of my friends actually said they were going to pay to go watch the Spruce Kings play instead of going to the Cougars for free.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •