Thread: Simpson Traded to Lethbridge

Default Simpson Traded to Lethbridge

"Lethbridge Hurricanes GM and Head Coach Rich Preston announced Wednesdaythe team acquired 18-year old Mike Simpson from the Kootenay Ice for a 5th round pick this year.

GM and Head Coach Rich Preston stated “we’re pleased to acquire Mike Simpson, who’s a big strong, tough defenceman coming from a real good organization the Kootenay Ice.

Simpson is a 6’4, 207 pound defenceman from Semiahmoo, BC and he has played in 40 games with the Ice this year chipping in an assist to go along with his 47 PIM’s and a minus-7 plus/minus rating.

Last season, he finished with 4 points (1G, 3A), 52 PIM’s and a plus/minus rating of minus-3." - From Canes site

Does this trade make the Merkley trade any better in some eyes? If you look at both together....

In:
    Derko
    Simpson
    3rd round pick

Out:
    Merkley
    5th round pick

The Canes got much bigger and tougher with these trades. And more experienced. Derko being 19 and Simpson being 18. Simpson's stats arent sexy but he has been a solid proven 100+ game player in the league. He is just below even plus minus on his career playing on an average or below average Ice team. Interesting...

I love these trades. Sometimes I wonder if the Hurricanes brass are listening to my conversations at games or if it's just so obvious that they were just to small of a team to compete with a lot of the bigger teams in the league, that even Rich Preston couldn't ignore the need any longer. I was watching the warmups between the Broncos and the Canes the other night and explaining to my brother that the Canes were so physically smaller than the Broncos and that there was no "enforcer" on the team this year to protect guys like Maxwell and Wong etc. I love the fact that they picked up a big dman and a big forward to provide some toughness to the team that has been very blatently lacking this year. I'm willing to bet that they won't get pushed around physically any longer by teams like Calgary and Medicine Hat if they know that Josh Derko is gonna be after them. Can't wait to see these guys in the lineup.

Iconwhl

The only comment I have to make about the last post is, how in the world does MH push u around? R u seriously smaller then they r? Lol all they have is small speedy skilled forwards.

For the actual trade at hand it is a nice pick up for the canes tho, & he's 18 which is a nice age group to get usually tough to land 18yr olds.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    The only comment I have to make about the last post is, how in the world does MH push u around? R u seriously smaller then they r? Lol all they have is small speedy skilled forwards.

For the actual trade at hand it is a nice pick up for the canes tho, & he's 18 which is a nice age group to get usually tough to land 18yr olds.
    It's odd to hear, but when we play the Tiger's we tend to let them run us. Usually with the help of 3 or 4 blind mice. However, I've been to games in the Hat where it's been the other way around. Some teams just get in the heads of other teams and play beyond their potential. Kootenay has trouble with us, but OWN the Tiger's. Hard to explain.
    The only thing better than a Cane's win is a Tiger's loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Caniac#5 View Post
    It's odd to hear, but when we play the Tiger's we tend to let them run us. Usually with the help of 3 or 4 blind mice. However, I've been to games in the Hat where it's been the other way around. Some teams just get in the heads of other teams and play beyond their potential. Kootenay has trouble with us, but OWN the Tiger's. Hard to explain.
    That's exactly what my point was. MH isn't bigger by any means, but anyone who watches Canes games on a regular basis in Enmax Centre will recognize that the Canes consistently get pushed around by the Tigers. It will be nice to see some big, strong, fresh faces in the lineup that won't be intimidated by anyone on the opposing team, regardless of size or skill.