Thread: Matt Dumba...

Default Matt Dumba...

Before I ask any questions I'll offer up a few of my observations from Wild players as well as my own viewings of him at prospect camp and in the training camp scrimmage.

From the players the comments are pretty universal. Zach Parise seemed to be very impressed by this kid's physical tools and skills saying he thought he's going to turn out to be a tremendous player and that he can already do quite a bit for his age. The coaches felt he did a great job and had a good professional attitude as he attended practice and other training sessions.

In the scrimmage I was very impressed by his ability to handle the NHL players physically. He wasn't leveling them with big hits but he was Manning up well along the boards and did not look overwhelmed by players who often were bigger than he was. At times he seemed to struggle a bit reading the play but he made a number of excellent plays 1-on-1; including shutting down Parise who was poised to blow right on by him only to be foiled by a perfect poke check by Dumba.

So what are you seeing from Dumba so far this season? We have noticed that he's certainly not on the scoresheet as often; and heard he had a rough Team Canada tryout camp. However, what do you expect from him now that he's returned from an extended little stay with the Wild? Will he be more of a force offensively or will he be more responsible defensively?

I look forward to your thoughts on this.
    Really, What Would James Sheppard Do?

"Why Mess around with PT-Boats when you can have a destroyer?" ~ Al Strachan on HNIC when talking about a possible trade for Georges Laraque

Quote Originally Posted by MVNWriter23 View Post
    Zach Parise seemed to be very impressed by this kid's physical tools and skills
    He has great mobility--Forward, backwards and lateral. Add to that some fantastic conditioning and a decent point shot, and you have a player with fantastic NHL potential.

So what are you seeing from Dumba so far this season? We have noticed that he's certainly not on the scoresheet as often; and heard he had a rough Team Canada tryout camp.
    Parts of his game really seemed to take a step backwards this season. He isn't as confident with the puck, not as aggressive offensively, and has made a number of huge defensive errors that have cost the team points in the standings. He is still tough on the boards, but no longer throws the big open-ice hits. Not sure if he is just having trouble staying motivated at the WHL level, adjusting to the coaching change, scrambling to adjust his game after getting suspended for an open-ice hit on opening night, or just feeling the pressure being put on him by everyone, but he really just doesn't look like he is giving 100% so far this season. Reminds me a lot of Dion Phaneuf in his final season in Red Deer after returning from the World Junior tournament, just didn't have that same motivation or jump to his game, like he was just putting in time until the season was over and he could go pro.

what do you expect from him now that he's returned from an extended little stay with the Wild? Will he be more of a force offensively or will he be more responsible defensively?
    I am hoping that now that cracking an NHL roster is off the table for this season, that he steps up his game again and finishes his WHL career with a bang.

Red Deer plays a structured defensive game, and doesn't score a ton of goals. They don't generate a lot of offense from the point, and almost zero offense from the point without Dumba in the lineup. They have fantastic goaltending and will be adding a proven playoff performer just before the playoffs when Depape joins the team. The team could make some noise in the playoffs if Dumba comes back with something to prove.

Default Do you...

Get the vibe he may be trying to avoid taking risks to avoid injury? Or is it really just the lack of motivation to really shine at that level? I realize Red Deer plays a really structured defensive game, but do you think he's been told to be a little less bold offensively by the coaching staff? Or that its just a byproduct of his mind / heart being elsewhere. I was a little surprised we held him that long not to play him at all. I think if Jonas Brodin and Marco Scandella were not ready to go he likely would've gotten at least a cup of coffee in the NHL this year.

I will continue to monitor Red Deer and check back here so if you have anything else to add just let me know. Thanks again for the great comments!

"Why Mess around with PT-Boats when you can have a destroyer?" ~ Al Strachan on HNIC when talking about a possible trade for Georges Laraque

Default I was just listening to the podcast from Jan 25th

of The Hurricanes This Week with our awesome play by play man, Pat Siedlecki, and the color man, Freddie Jack. They discussed the situation in regards to Dumba's time being up with the Wild. Minnesota keeps him in camp for a few weeks but makes him sit and watch the first 3 or 4 actual NHL games the Wild play and then they send him back to Red Deer.

I'm sure playing in the WHL for the rest of this year is the right thing to do for Matt, but for cryin out loud, LET HIM PLAY ONE GAME IN THE NHL just to give him that little taste of what it's like to play with the big boys. Not that this will make or break him as a true NHL player, but playing even 1 game and a few shifts in the big leagues will give him a peek into what it is like to be an NHL HOCKEY PLAYER. Don't just tease him with a little look see, but give him a glorious moment to treasure and let him play in a real NHL game.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 01-31-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Default No real argument from me...

I was really surprised we didn't see him in at least one game. They must've felt he really wasn't quite ready for that yet. Or perhaps with the shortened season they wanted to continue to develop the chemistry for the players we're going to be going the long-haul with. Not quite sure why they didn't even give him that cup of coffee so to speak.

Since he's returned from being with the Wild is playing with a bit more energy or is he still seem a bit disconnected out there?

Since he's returned from being with the Wild is playing with a bit more energy or is he still seem a bit disconnected out there?
    Not really any big change in his game. He is making some good outlet passes, but still struggling a bit in his own end. Scored a big goal the other night, then basically set up a shorthanded goal for the other team a bit later in the game, on an error that most 16 year old rookies wouldn't make. He is an exciting, but frustrating player to watch.

Question Interesting...

And again, not overly surprising. Would you say he's a cocky player or confident? Because I can handle a confident player making mistakes; but if its cockiness its ignorance of their deficiencies. I saw and heard about the big goal; but didn't know about the horrible turnover. Did he just mishandle / overhandle the puck or just make an ill-advised pass?

And again, not overly surprising. Would you say he's a cocky player or confident?
    Hard to say. He definitely doesn't seem to be cocky, but at the same time is lacking the confidence that he even had last season.
    I saw and heard about the big goal; but didn't know about the horrible turnover. Did he just mishandle / overhandle the puck or just make an ill-advised pass?
    He was just way out of position putting an opposition forward between him and his own net, then made absolutely zero effort to get back into the play when Lethbridge got control of the puck. I guess that was probably the most frustrating part, the total lack of effort on the play.

And some more positive news, he has been a lot more consistent in recent games, and has clawed his way back out of the minus column from minus-6 to plus-3 since Christmas.