It's never too early to look ahead to next season, so let's have it. It's clear that there's going to be changes before next year and I was bored and tried to look into my non-existent crystal ball.

Goaltenders:

Payton Lee I think is the only guarantee here, whether he enters the season as the starter or not is anybody's guess considering how he's been used lately. I'd like to think that common sense will prevail and Lee will be between the pipes on opening night. Jared Rathjen has been decent since coming aboard but I suspect that he'll face some competition in camp. If the Giants still hold the rights to Tyler Fuhr he could be that guy but I wasn't completely sold on him during his short time with the team.

Forwards:

Jackson Houck (my early bet as Captain next season) will likely be the focal point for our forward group. Cain Franson seems like a safe bet to fill one of our overage spots for next season. I wouldn't mind seeing Marek Tvrdon fill one as well but I suspect that he's going to be an off-season trade candidate (and likely would have been among the departures this season had he not suffered his health scare). I'm also unsure as to whether the Giants would like to use one of the overage slots and one of their import slots on the same guy. I like the limited viewings I've had of Luca Leone thus far and it never hurts to have some size in the lineup. I think he stays. I've been pleased to see Jakob Stukel getting a couple of games this past week and think he makes the jump to the club full time next year, hopefully will be among our top six.

Rob Trzonkowski's unfortunate injury came at a bad time because we really didn't get a chance to see him play but I think he sticks next year. Another forward with good size is a plus in my books. Carter Popoff has shown some nice hustle in his rookie season, hopefully he will continue to develop into a good offensive player for us next year and add some secondary scoring. Another guy I'm expecting more from next year is Thomas Foster who I've been underwhelmed by this season in the games I've watched. He's a former 1st round pick though so he'll likely be given the benefit of the doubt.

Those are probably the only players that I would consider as "locks" to be on the team next year. Guys like Dalton Sward, Riley Kieser, Travis McEvoy, Taylor Vickerman and Anthony Ast just don't do it for me. I'm sure one or two of them will be here (at least to start the year) but I don't expect them all back.

I'm honestly not too familiar with too many of our prospects so I'm likely just throwing darts to see what sticks but Alec Baer is a possibility after leading last year's training camp in points. Haven't heard too much chatter about Douglas Morris, one of the guys we got in the Austin Vetterl trade but he may get a look as well. One of last year's 2nd round pick Jesse Roach will probably be amongst the players fighting for a spot in camp as well as another 2nd rounder, from 2011 Ryan Simpson and finally, I admit that I know nothing about the kid at all, but Bradley Crompton who hasn't even turned 16 yet is listed at 6'4", 215 lbs. If he can play at all, I'd love to see a (no pun intended) giant like that on the roster.

More off-season trades are likely but it's tough to speculate on that but I'm hopeful that we'll see more skill added. We have too many pluggers and not enough talent. Who knows, we may be rewarded with a potential exceptional player as well. ()

Defencemen:

I don't expect to see much change from this group next season. Brett Kulak and Mason Geertsen will once again be the main guys here. Reid Zalitach is in line for an increased role. Tyler Morrison should also stick but I'm hoping for better numbers (as in more than a single goal). Another guy that's slowly coming along is Arvin Atwal who will probably challenge for a spot from the outset.

I'd really like to see a true PP QB brought in here. This team was at its best when it had players like Franson, Albers, Meszaros, Blum, Connauton etc. chipping in offensively and we really don't have that type of player outside of Kulak.

One guy who might possibly challenge for a spot is yet another 2011 2nd rounder, Jake Kohlhauser. A defensive Dman with good size who can hopefully stop some of the traffic forming in front of our net.

----

Next year looks a lot more promising than this one and might even see us challenge for a playoff spot if our youngsters continue to improve and develop properly and the team is able to make a few astute trades to bring in some fresh blood to chip in as well. The continued development of Houck, Lee and Geertsen will be what drives the ship though and the team will likely go as those players go. I'm not expecting a miracle turnaround in one year, but if this team can improve its core of talent and play smarter defensively, I'll be satisfied even if it means another year on the outside looking in. Baby steps until 2016.