Thread: Saskatoon Blades Playoff Thread

Hybrid View

Default Saskatoon Blades Playoff Thread

Well, since it's actually official, I might as well create it, hopefully it doesn't get to crazy....., ha ha, I'm funny.
    Here is the jist of it: We are currently seeded 1st in our division and second in the conference, looks like our goal is to catch Calgary for official second in points. This could all change in the following weeks though. I think it starts with beating them tonight and getting it down to 1 instead of lose and be down by 4-5 points.

Realistically, we are most likely to finish in second or fourth. We have a good shot at playing anyone from 4-8, depending how they finish and how we finish or unless we finish 4th and then have to play the 5th place team. My guess if everything stays as it is we will play Swift Current, Medicine Hat, Kootenay and even Lethbridge, if they keep it close. I don't expect PA or Red Deer will fall out of 4th and 5th.

Who would you guys like to face in the first round?, can we catch Calgary?, who will we play?

Tell me what you guys think!!!!!!!!!

Default I'M looking in my crystal ball

I hope two things happen. That Kootenay finishes 8th and takes a large chunk out of the Oil Kings in round 1, and that the Blades pass Calgary for the true second seed.

Didn't think I'd say this this season but I honestly don't think it matters who the Blades play. No-one will beat them in a 7 game series and I include Calgary, Edmonton, Swift Current, P.A. in that statement.
    Portland is Memorial cup bound. Saskatoon v Portland in the league final. You read it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by franchise View Post
    I hope two things happen. That Kootenay finishes 8th and takes a large chunk out of the Oil Kings in round 1, and that the Blades pass Calgary for the true second seed.

Didn't think I'd say this this season but I honestly don't think it matters who the Blades play. No-one will beat them in a 7 game series and I include Calgary, Edmonton, Swift Current, P.A. in that statement.
    Portland is Memorial cup bound. Saskatoon v Portland in the league final. You read it here first.
    Well Franchise I am going to agree with the part that it doesn't matter who they play, they will win providing they stay healthy. Losing Makorov would be a disaster right now especially. The Only team I think they may have trouble with would be Edmonton. This is a very solid team also that doesn't have many weaknesses. Right now they aren't playing very well, but have been on an extended road trip and really don't have anything to play for. The Blades and Edmonton match up well with the first 3 lines but Edmonton has a better 4th line. Edmonton also has more depth on defense than the Blades. Blades -Portland would be nice though.

I might as well dust off the cobwebs on this thread, but a rematch of last years playoffs, 4 straight losses last year, looking for redemption, I say blades in 5, what do you guys think?

I don't really like to make predictions jmoney but I do have a good feeling about this years team. For me it all boils down to makarov. If he plays average or better than average, I like our chances.

blades vs tigers.

blades regular season record: 44-22-2-4 94 points
    tigers regular season record: 36-33-2-1 75 points

blades home record: 22-12-0-2
    tigers home record: 23-13-0-0

blades road record: 22-10-2-2
    tigers road record: 13-20-2-1

blades goals for: 280
    tigers goals for: 243

blades goals against: 221
    tigers goals against: 244

blades penalty minutes: 1173
    tigers penalty minutes: 946

blades last ten regular season games: 6-1-2-1
    tigers last ten regular season games: 5-5

blades power play: 21.4%
    tigers power play: 21.2%

blades penalty kill: 84.7%
    tigers penalty kill: 80.4%

blades when scoring first: 27-4-1-3
    tigers when scoring first: 20-11-1-0

both the blades and tigers have better road power plays than home. the tigers penalty kill is weaker on the road.

the blades scored twice the number of short handed goals than the tigers. the tigers 14 short handed goals against was 19 out of 22 whl teams.

the blades goals for gets progressively better each period. the tigers goals against gets progressively worse each period.

the two teams are more evenly matched than you'd think based on record or points. if the blades can exploit the tigers inexperienced defense, inconsistent goaltending, and poor road record it could be a short series. if the tigers can find more scoring outside of their top line, take advantage of the pressure the blades feel, and ride a strong power play they can pull an upset.